The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-24, 11:51 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewalled?

Well, I'm pretty puzzled over both of these.

Regarding it only giving credit when you are downloading, not just seeding.... I wrote down my ul/dl last night before going to bed. I set Azureus up to seed a show and my stats came out just fine this morning (only an addition to my ul stat, not my dl stat), so this must be something that only happens with some people. So, I guess I'm wondering what bt client is being used. This is going to be a weird one to track down. Any information I can get on it would be useful.

As for the firewall issue, I can't think of why you would get the yellow lights here all the time, but not DIME. We use different trackers, I do know that. Do you get yellow lights all the time at bootcity or metallifukinca or metalbootlegdatabase (we all use the same tracker)?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-24, 02:12 PM
1.14 TB/1.01 TB/0.88

Thumbs up Re: Firewalled?

NAT check passed on both Dime and TTD.
Old 2006-02-24, 09:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that I really want to figure this out, it's just real hard for me since I don't experience these problems. If things change at all for you, or you notice anything that might help me track this down, PLEASE post about it.

I've been going over our tracker code as it exists today versus a week ago (for STL who said things changed for him a week ago) and versus last July when we first changed over to this tracker. I'm just not seeing anything that really stands out to me that would cause these problems. I also took a look at the announce code from two other trackers and they figure out the red/black code in the same way that this tracker does and so I can't figure out why ours is 'red' and other sites are 'black'. I'm going to see if I can track down DIME's code and compare that also.

Old 2006-02-25, 07:07 AM
1.14 TB/1.01 TB/0.88

I'll let you know if I start getting green lights again, or if anything changes at all. I love this site, and I think this is a minor issue, but a problem none the less. Thanks for the help.
Old 2006-02-25, 07:12 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

try azureus...it's the best client!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-02-26, 06:48 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, update. I've looked at DIMEs method of determining if someone is 'connectable' or not and it is a bit more complicated than ours. It also uses more resources. However, all our check does is make an entry in the Peers table saying whether or not you are connectable or not and thus allows me to use the variable to write your port in red (if connectable=no) or black (if connectable=yes). That is all that variable is used for. It won't help or hinder your chances of connecting with others - your bittorrent client makes it's own determination on whether you may connect to others or not.

One thing I seem to notice in looking back over this is that stats don't seem to continue to be kept once the downloading is completed for that 'session'. Meaning, if you stopped your torrent after completing and then hit start again, the stats will then update again. Is that true? That would explain why I am fine if I just set myself to seed overnight (my stats update fine when I do that). If you guys are noticing that this is either true or false, holler. It will help me narrow down the problem.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble