The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-15, 05:14 PM
ilikechikin
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Archiving: CD vs. DVD

i don't archive, but maybe i should. its almost like a waste of a CD if i do that now. i have one CD-RW that holds 1 show at a time ( ). it might be smart to start archiving, but i don't have the money for dvd+r's (much less cd-r's) and i don't have a dvd burner (yet). i just want to get an external hard drive in a few years that's 300 gb or so, so i don't have to worry about archiving that much.

when i first started collecting a few months ago i screwed myself over big time by downloading and burning a bunch of nirvana mp3 shows. about 2 months ago i realized that if i ever wanted to trade or seed, i couldn't. even then when i started downloading from EZT and here, i didn't keep my gens. 1 month ago i started keeping track of everything and labeling it all thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-15, 05:18 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigonthewing
I don't think that's a crazy question. I don't archive either. Think about it, if the music is this easy to get now, do you really think it will become harder as computers shrink and speed increases? I'm pretty sure that in three to five years you're gonna laugh at bit torrent the same way you laugh at 5.25 floppy disks.
Regardless, we're a damned long way off from on-demand live lossless shows on the 'net. IF we see something like that, it's going to be a good 10-20 years. I'm more than happy to archive in the meantime.
Old 2005-03-15, 05:22 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

On a related note, if anyone's interested, I've attached my template for slim spine labels - They're EXACTLY the right size, ~65 per sheet. I have a friend who runs a business that does a copious amount of shipping through UPS, and they hook him up with BOXES of free sticker paper, 2x sheet, which he doesn't use. Let me know how it goes for you if you end up using it..!
Attached Files
File Type: doc slimspines.doc
( 44.5 KB, 20 views)

Old 2005-03-15, 05:35 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
I don't think that's a crazy question. I don't archive either. Think about it, if the music is this easy to get now, do you really think it will become harder as computers shrink and speed increases? I'm pretty sure that in three to five years you're gonna laugh at bit torrent the same way you laugh at 5.25 floppy disks.
Archiving makes trading very, very easy. I have done numerous trades where we will trade several shows on 1 DVD. The DVD is burned with directories of each show and those directories have shn/flacs, info.txt files (with lineage 99% of time), artwork if any, etc.

That way it saves me and my trading partner a lot of time EACing and then burning 12-15 CDRs. I don't know if he can use EAC right, or if he burns 40x speed. This way the final burn to CDR is the end-user's responsibility.
Old 2005-03-15, 05:42 PM
106.03 GB/143.47 GB/1.35

I’m not knocking archiving, people. Someone has to do it, right? All I’m saying is, I don’t, and I’d venture to guess the great majority don’t, do it either. I burn my CD and then I make sure to take pristine care of them. If I want a CD just to listen to in the car, I burn it and treat it as such, which is without a care, because I know that at home are my “original” copies. As for Mr. Rabble, I wasn’t talking about “OnDemand” or “PayPerView” lossless music on the net. I was simply stating that file sharing, legally or illegally, is only going to grow and rate of transfer are only getting faster. Point being, you have access to a bigger pool at a quicker rate. It will be like the internet, if it’s not already, there’s so much shit out there that you don’t even know where to begin.
Old 2005-03-15, 05:43 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
Archiving makes trading very, very easy. I have done numerous trades where we will trade several shows on 1 DVD. The DVD is burned with directories of each show and those directories have shn/flacs, info.txt files (with lineage 99% of time), artwork if any, etc.

That way it saves me and my trading partner a lot of time EACing and then burning 12-15 CDRs. I don't know if he can use EAC right, or if he burns 40x speed. This way the final burn to CDR is the end-user's responsibility.
yeah , i'd rather trade the d/l files as well , for the last reason cited , it's their own burn they'll be listening to in the end.
i'm thinking about just getting a better sound card and speaker setup on my box and just archive stuff once and be done with a lot of xtra cd's bought etc. , then just listen to the files right off of that on my pc w/ foobar or whatever else can play 'em....
of course , there's the added problem of my archive discs being handled a lot more.....

"We all got it coming, kid." ~ William Munny

suicide nazi gunslinger blazin' down the hall tonight ~ PJ Stevey

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic View Post
Because we can't get by without [you].
Old 2005-03-15, 05:50 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble
If it's that close, and you use Nero to burn your discs, an overburn is a generally safe way to fit that extra little bit onto a disc - The newest Nero will automatically ask you if it's within the safe range if you'd like to overburn.
I use Nero and have often overburned audio files. But it doesn't seem to allow the option when you burn a data disc.
Old 2005-03-15, 05:53 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
I use Nero and have often overburned audio files. But it doesn't seem to allow the option when you burn a data disc.
6.0 and above does for me, but if I remember correctly I had to change something in the preferences to allow it...
Old 2005-03-15, 05:56 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
6.0 and above does for me, but if I remember correctly I had to change something in the preferences to allow it...

HMMMMMMM, I'll have to re-check then, because I have Nero 6.1something and could not find the option. If you can look at what you changed and let me know, I would appreciate it.
Old 2005-03-15, 05:56 PM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

yeah , i don't think it was possible with nero 5.5 as far as data overburn goes
which may be a good thing...some of my audio overburns were coaster material for the last few minutes on 'em...

"We all got it coming, kid." ~ William Munny

suicide nazi gunslinger blazin' down the hall tonight ~ PJ Stevey

in your pomp and all your glory, you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear ~ Ian Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic View Post
Because we can't get by without [you].
Old 2005-03-15, 06:57 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
HMMMMMMM, I'll have to re-check then, because I have Nero 6.1something and could not find the option. If you can look at what you changed and let me know, I would appreciate it.
File > Preferences > Expert Features (Tab) > Check "Enable Disc-At-Once CD Overburning"

Well, damnit, it only works for DAO.

So that's sorta it....
Old 2005-03-15, 07:11 PM
228.01 GB/712.14 GB/3.12

I archive about the way JDub does to DVD+R, and keep track in a word file (with hopes to move up to an Access database). Sometimes I have enough shows to put one artist to a DVD, but usually I just try to lump similar artists. And list the shows alphabetically in the file.

Right now I have the DVD+Rs in slimline cases, in old 5-1/4" disk holders.
Old 2005-03-15, 07:22 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
File > Preferences > Expert Features (Tab) > Check "Enable Disc-At-Once CD Overburning"

Well, damnit, it only works for DAO.

So that's sorta it....
Yeah, I've got that setting already. Still doesn't work for data discs - anything over 703 MB I get the message that it is too much data for the disc. Oh, well.......the DVD burner is long overdue anyhow
Old 2005-03-15, 07:26 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:
I burn my CD and then I make sure to take pristine care of them. If I want a CD just to listen to in the car, I burn it and treat it as such, which is without a care, because I know that at home are my “original” copies.
I archive and then do pretty much the same except I archive the lossless files instead of an audio. But then I burn an audio disc and when I need more room in the car or whatever I send it to a friend or offer it as a freebie or something.

Quote:
...file sharing, legally or illegally, is only going to grow and rate of transfer are only getting faster. Point being, you have access to a bigger pool at a quicker rate. It will be like the internet, if it’s not already, there’s so much shit out there that you don’t even know where to begin.

I get shows and sometimes it'll be months before I listen to them other than to check quality. I'm just a little paranoid about relying on the web to have a particular show whenever I want. There are a few shows on the archive that I haven't downloaded 'cause I know it's there. But in the back of my mind I think "what if this site goes down? Anything can happen and where will I get this show?" So for the most part I tend to grab a show when it's available and not worry about it.
Old 2005-03-15, 07:27 PM
Funk Is Its Own Reward
240.72 GB/429.78 GB/1.79

Quote:

So how the hell do you do it?

Currently I archive to cd-r's but that's only until I get a portable harddrive.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble