The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-31, 02:53 PM
651.74 GB/685.54 GB/1.05

Audio CD files to DVD

OK, this is likely a stupid question, but why isn't it possible to burn wav/aiff files onto a DVD and then play them with audio readout on a cd/DVD player? Maybe it is, I don't know. The reason I ask is that if you burn a Video_TS folder a using the Data: DVD-ROM (UDF) setting of Toast on the Mac/OSX (rather than the Video settings) the DVD plays just fine. Why doesn't the same thing work for AIFF files? If you could do this it would be great for creating single discs for long shows.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-31, 04:30 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Audio CD files to DVD

if you author the AIFF files onto a DVD-Video disc (which will have the VIDEO_TS folder, and the files will be typical of a video DVD disc - IFO, BUP, VOB), then a settop DVD player will play the disc.

on the PC, there's a program called Audio DVD Creator that will take WAV or MP3 or AC3 tracks and create the disc (which can have menus for song selection and so forth).

the authoring software i use - Spruce DVDMaestro (which was bought by Apple and now has the name DVD Studio) will do it.. i just drag & drop a black picture file (720x480 resolution), or any BMP/JPEG file i want on the screen for the duration of the audio file, to the timeline and set the length. then set chapter points so i can navigate to any song/track i want, and click on Compile. burn the disc as any DVD-Video disc, and voila... a disc with uncompressed PCM audio (which can have either WAV or AIFF as the audio asset source). i don't know for certain, but it's likely that Apple's DVD Studio has this feature. from what i've read, the current layout is even very similar to DVDMaestro.

if your settop DVD player will play DVD-A discs (DVD Audio), then there's an open source program someone on this board has been developing, so i'd suggest checking it out. as i recall, it's cross-platform so it would likely work on your system (OSX). the only point in question would be whether or not your settop player(s) will play DVD-A discs.
Old 2005-04-03, 09:57 AM
651.74 GB/685.54 GB/1.05

Thanks for the reply. I thought that there might be a way to do this. I have various versions of iDVD (v5.0 is the latest) and my settop top plays DVD-As no problem, so it would be great to have my Led Zep and Zappa shows play continually. I need to read up a bit more about DVD authoring and then I'll give your suggestion a try.
Old 2005-04-03, 02:08 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtyke66
Thanks for the reply. I thought that there might be a way to do this. I have various versions of iDVD (v5.0 is the latest) and my settop top plays DVD-As no problem, so it would be great to have my Led Zep and Zappa shows play continually. I need to read up a bit more about DVD authoring and then I'll give your suggestion a try.
DVD-Video authoring and DVD-Audio authoring are different animals. Software that can author one kind of DVD can't normally author the other.

If you haven't found my open source DVD-Audio aiuthoring program that h_vargas referred to, you can find it here:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net

Using it, you can author a DVD-Audio disc with up to about 6 hours of CD-quality 16-bit/44.1KHz uncompressed PCM audio - normally enough for about 3-4 shows.

It also accepts FLAC files as input, so you don't even need to worry about decoding your downloaded shows to WAV or AIFF first.

Only problem is that there is still only a command-line version of the program. I am working on a cross-platform GUI version (for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows), but that isn't finished yet.

I am currently only distributing Windows binaries - for the Mac you will need to compile it yourself. This isn't hard (you just need to open up a Terminal, "cd" to where Stuffit Expander has put the source directory, and then type "make"), but you will need XCode or the Apple Developer Tools installed.

Dave.
Old 2005-04-04, 06:56 PM
651.74 GB/685.54 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
DVD-Video authoring and DVD-Audio authoring are different animals. Software that can author one kind of DVD can't normally author the other.

If you haven't found my open source DVD-Audio aiuthoring program that h_vargas referred to, you can find it here:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net

Using it, you can author a DVD-Audio disc with up to about 6 hours of CD-quality 16-bit/44.1KHz uncompressed PCM audio - normally enough for about 3-4 shows.

It also accepts FLAC files as input, so you don't even need to worry about decoding your downloaded shows to WAV or AIFF first.

Only problem is that there is still only a command-line version of the program. I am working on a cross-platform GUI version (for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows), but that isn't finished yet.

I am currently only distributing Windows binaries - for the Mac you will need to compile it yourself. This isn't hard (you just need to open up a Terminal, "cd" to where Stuffit Expander has put the source directory, and then type "make"), but you will need XCode or the Apple Developer Tools installed.

Dave.
Many thanks Dave. This is definitely virgin territory for me, but I have some friends who are pretty savvy with this type of coding. I'll also keep an eye on the dvd-a sourceforge page for more updates.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble