The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-08, 01:51 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Re: dvd mac burning issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
a .cdr file is a picture file [corel draw], yer headed down the wrong path

is the show a dual layer [DVD9] show, or are you trying to burn "more than one disc" as one disk image? have you tried running the checksum to make sure its complete/undamaged?
yeah, the .cdr conversion didn't work. i read that if i entered it at the end of my file when converting in disk utility that it would convert to an .iso file. i don't believe that the show is dual layer. and i have been burning the two discs separately. as far as the checksums go, bear with me as i really haven't done much with checksums before. i put the mds file for each disc(separately) into my xACT program under the checksum tab and processed them. they both come up as an error. then i get a window which shows each of the files in the video_ts file and reads "no such file or directory" and "failed open or read" did i do this correctly, and if so, what does it mean? is it damaged? frustrated.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-08, 01:53 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You may have to (temporarily!) move the checksums into the VIDEO_TS folder in order to run the checksums on them.

Old 2007-05-08, 02:14 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
You may have to (temporarily!) move the checksums into the VIDEO_TS folder in order to run the checksums on them.
ok, tried moving the checksums and they all came back as ok so i guess that's not the problem.
Old 2007-05-08, 03:19 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, I just installed DVD Imager on my computer....

Opened it up
Dragged a VIDEO_TS folder into the window
Left the Method as "VIDEO_TS Folder mode"
I hit Create Image
It asked me where to save it
It asked me for a name - "TEST_ONE"

The first time I did this, I did it with a show I was currently seeding and so it would not make an image for me. I ended up with a file "TEST_ONE.img" that was Zero in size. I didn't get an error or anything, DVD Imager simply closed. So, I tried again on a show that I am not currently seeding and a DVD Imager Status window popped up and it took a few minutes for it to create a file. But, I eventually ended up with a file called "TEST_ONE.img" that was slightly larger than the original VIDEO_TS folder - original was 3.29 GB, this image file was 3.31 GB. I then double-clicked on the img file, and it mounted on my desktop and I could see the contents - an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder with exactly the same contents as the original VIDEO_TS folder that I selected.

Is this the same process that you went through?

Old 2007-05-08, 03:28 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

yes, that's exactly what i've done.
Old 2007-05-08, 03:31 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, except that you aren't ending up with an img file, right? And, if you double-click it, it doesn't mount on the desktop.... and you can't open it and view the contents of the file, right?

Are you burning to a DVD-R? or DVD+R?

Old 2007-05-08, 03:48 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

no, i am able to do all those things. i double click on the disk image, it mounts, VIDEO_TS(with same files as original) and empty AUDIO_TS folders are present. i can view it with no problems including menus and song list in the dvd player application. from here i've selected the .img file in disk utility and burned with the same problem again. i'm trying a different program called "burn" that is creating the disk image and burning all in one. hopefully it will works.
Old 2007-05-08, 04:39 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

or not. same issue. this "burn" program converted my ts files and burned, spit out the disc. i reinserted it and it spit it back out again. oooh, but wait, i put it into my stand alone dvd player and it actually works!!!! i'm watching it on my tv right now! not sure what the issue is with my computer but at least i know that it's burned. thank you so much for all your help lynne! any ideas as to why my computer is acting like this would be appreciated!
Old 2007-05-08, 05:12 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I can't think of why your computer is acting like that. Have you tried rebooting it and seeing if the issue persists?

Which Mac are you using? What type of DVDs did you buy?

Old 2007-05-08, 06:34 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I can't think of why your computer is acting like that. Have you tried rebooting it and seeing if the issue persists?

Which Mac are you using? What type of DVDs did you buy?

i've tried rebooting it with no luck. it still won't accept the disc. burned the second disc and it does the same thing, works on my dvd player but not my computer. i have a powerbook g4 and am using memorex dvd-r's. i've made copies of dvds before with discs from this same spindle with no issues so i'm confused as ever. but at least they're burned. i guess i just won't be viewing them on my computer.
Old 2007-05-09, 03:29 AM
56.17 GB/82.64 GB/1.47

I'd suggest you try resetting the PRAM just in case. Restart and then once the machine has shut down but before it actually restarts, hold down command-option-p-r (finger gymnastics) until you hear the start up chimes 4 times.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-05-09, 07:35 PM
29.32 GB/21.87 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
I'd suggest you try resetting the PRAM just in case. Restart and then once the machine has shut down but before it actually restarts, hold down command-option-p-r (finger gymnastics) until you hear the start up chimes 4 times.
tried this, didn't do anything. then i got scared that something was seriously wrong with my disc drive and tried inserting a regular cd. it worked fine. just doesn't want to play my burned video discs. oh well, like i said, at least i have them burned.
Old 2007-05-09, 07:41 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

bushboy, it would be interesting to know if your discs play in other computers. Take one to work or to a friends house or a computer store and see if it plays there.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble