The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-07, 06:06 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
then I try to find the time to upload. Been busy though lately...56 episodes of The Johnny Cash show at Hunger City has kept me in download mode for 2 weeks straight.
In other words you feel it's OK to search and download whatever you want( got plenty of time for that!), but can't "find the time" to leave your client open to give back. Funny how other tapers I've seen have ratios of 2, 5, 56 and higher. You might wanna ask them how they "find time."

Your excuses are legendary. Keep em coming. They make many of us laugh pretty damn hard at their absurdity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-12-07, 06:21 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Quote:
I have no desire to reach some arbitrary ratio
since when is giving back as much as you take (a ratio of 1) considered arbitrary? I thought it was considered good manners.

let it be known that vlad would pay for his booze with the contents of the "need a penny" tray - if he thought he could get away with it.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-12-07, 07:11 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
My rationalization: .25 seems okay for me, considering the amount of original content I contribute.
OK, then stop worrying about what some people say about it. The only reason it gets brought up by a few people is because it gets such a reaction out of you. If you didn't react to them, they wouldn't bring it up with you.

And take the Lounge comments back to The Lounge guys!

Old 2008-12-07, 08:46 PM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Quote:
Very intelligent comment in a very dumb thread marksg. New content carries no weight here. I, as well as others have brought it up before, only to have that notion shot down. One would like to think that fresh content was an important factor in the quality of this site. Look at all the tired torrents in the video section that are inflating members ratios. People just bump old shit to the top, or grab it at dime and recycle it...I would seed much more here if it resulted in some sort of upload credit, as I am capped at 50 kb/s up.
Thanks for support of my comments, the only point I would make is that I myself am guilty of "recycling" as you call it, stuff from Dime etc...I find that a worthwhile endeavor as a lot of people can't obtain memberships [or don't try, whatever]. I'm not at your level, authoring fresh content. I just don't have the time and/or quality equip to do that. I refer to it as "regifting" but I still feel it's a step up from someone who sits on a torrent with 50 other seeders. Great the peers get to seed in a few hours instead of a day or 2. Is that more productive than bringing new content [whether the seeder has taped/authored it or merely carried it over from another site]? IMO it is not. All it does is favor the people with the fastest connections. Now I'm not talking about the person that downs a couple hundred gigs and has uploaded 20, that's total BS. Does it make sense however to ban that person? I dunno, they may make a valuable contribution at some point. Limiting the number of torrents they can be on to 1 or 2 might be viable. But I do think this thread is kinda dumb, cuz it's creating a problem where none really exists. All this is about is emotions. Some people get real upset over this subject, and they do have a right to feel, something. Forcing every member to have a smoking fat pipe hooked up to their m/c however is simply stupid, as is making them sit on a torrent for weeks, when their couple kb's doesn't amount to a tick on a cow's ass. Give credit/reward for deeds well done, rather than disciplining for poorer performance. This creates an incentive for people to do better.
Old 2008-12-07, 09:28 PM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Gee, my comments were solely based on the premise of the thread, NOW I read all the hyperbole and flaming and some of it's really funny. I'm kinda starting to feel like I wish I hadn't seen this thread at all. personally my upload is capped at 35, and I may jump off one torrent with tons of seeders to jump on something else or to maintain a ratio at a site that enforces. But I'm also probably gonna share that show with you, if it's worthy and if you want it. So would my puny upload speed be more valuable sitting in a torrent with lots of seeders until I hit 1:1, or is it more valuable obtaining something to share, and if noone else out there jumps in to help seed I will have to upload well over 1:1 before any peers go to seed? I say the latter is a better use of my bandwidth. For you as well as me. The funny thing is, almost everytime I upload a show a seeder or 2 pops up and helps bring it home. My point is Why don't They upload the show instead, so that I can jump on and help out. And yes I end up on torrents all the time with very low amounts of seeders +/or peers. Those I will not jump off of and will frequently go over 1:1 I also disagree that upload credits should be segregated from upload stats. I'm talking about incentive to contribute. Hell sites like Zomb give you upload credits for donating. Actually buying a ratio! I just don't see how a person with no uploads or a few can bang on someone with dozens! That person is definitely not thoughtless. THOUGHTLESS was the point of this thread. To me thoughtless is D/L 200 gigs, U/L 12 or 22 gigs with no uploads. having a .25 or .45 or whatever less than 1 if you have shared dozens of torrents just doesn't fall into thoughtless, and folks that bust chops on someone in that category are wrong to do so IMO. I honestly would not change my mind if I got U-verse tomorrow with 18megs, that I see on TV. Sure my ratio would go up, hell without even trying actually. But I still would hold the seeder of 50 or 80 shows in higher esteem than someone with a 4.5 ratio that has shared nothing. Someone stated how simple that is to do. That's right it is. Thoughtless even, for it takes no effort. In my experience Uploading is far too much of a chore for the vast majority. They choose to not learn how, so they simply don't understand that it does require some effort, and give no credit to those that do. Bottom line any enforcement above .25 is a bad idea, and simply counterproductive. Maybe folks should think more about the good they themselves do and less about what others do. Unless someone leaves people hangin with no seed. Then they deserve to be drilled
Old 2008-12-08, 02:00 AM
53.33 GB/125.82 GB/2.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardry007 View Post
Normally I'd go with give them a few warnings but I'm seriously reconsidering now.
Okay so many people might not see it as an effort putting up a show but it is to me. So I'm seeding a show of my own today and see the 5th person completing just hit 100% and then close the client. I decide to check out his ratio and it shows:
Downloaded: 715.17 GB Uploaded: 55.61 GB Ratio: 0.08

Now maybe I'm just pissed that he didnt stick around to help seed my show, but with a ratio of 0.08 after 700+ GB downloaded it looks like that's his MO. People like that arent really helping the community and there should be restrictions to prevent people like that from leeching away...

...........// pissed of seeder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijwthstd View Post
Someone wrote me asking me to reseed a Metallica show and I dug it out and put it back on my computer and started seeding and added this note

"Once you have this please keep it open a while, I have some stuff I want to put up in the morning so I will probably shut this down and delete it again."

When I woke up in the morning, the person who wrote me had grabbed it and stopped seeding never to return while others had jumped on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed View Post
......it's OK to search and download whatever you want( got plenty of time for that!), but can't "find the time" to leave your client open to give back. Funny how other tapers I've seen have ratios of 2, 5, 56 and higher. You might wanna ask them how they "find time."

..... excuses are legendary...........

well.. not much sense in adding to the fray...

but being new here I too caught on quick back in Oct 08...

It was thanks to some member here? who I talked to in person at the Buckethead concert in Charlotte, NC that I came here expecting to get a copy of his great taping setup I witnessed.

while I waited the 30 days for ISO... and after D/L some buckethead & that1guy & Les Claypool downloads.. I began seeding..

but its like the guys above me said..
it infuriates me to no end to see all the leechers who have downloaded and
NEVER come back to seed..

case in point:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=64999

The above URL is the one I have witnessed many downloads I have helped since getting it myself but the seeders (peer)list never grows... nab it and run it seems...

a courteous message to any current down loader of a seed I am helping with requesting that they in turn seed the download they finish for at least 3 days if not a week or more would be highly appreciated by me and the rest of TTD people like themselves.
Old 2008-12-08, 11:40 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

boy...wonder if the leaching will ever end??????

Old 2008-12-08, 11:26 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Nah, their rationalizations are pretty darn amusing.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2008-12-09, 02:09 PM
Pothead
353.31 GB/1.25 TB/3.62

Very interesting thread... lots of good & bad... maybe it's just me... but when I first joined these torrent sites a few years back... I read ALL of the info before jumping in head first... I always like to know what I'm getting into... and by reading all of the help & info sections first... I had a full understanding of what bit-torrent was all about... and how it worked... it seems most people these days want intsant gratification and care little about others... of course this is just one assholes opinion.
Old 2008-12-09, 02:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavoom View Post
Very interesting thread... lots of good & bad... maybe it's just me... but when I first joined these torrent sites a few years back... I read ALL of the info before jumping in head first... I always like to know what I'm getting into... and by reading all of the help & info sections first... I had a full understanding of what bit-torrent was all about... and how it worked... it seems most people these days want intsant gratification and care little about others... of course this is just one assholes opinion.
You are the type of user any site would like! OK, maybe not all sites would appreciate the asshole part, but we don't mind a bit.

Old 2008-12-09, 04:04 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
OK, maybe not all sites would appreciate the asshole part, but we don't mind a bit.
Potential staff member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2008-12-09, 06:25 PM
183.24 GB/319.40 GB/1.74

I have one torrent site I go to that has a "shitlist". If you get below a certain ratio they put you on a shitlist, and you must redeem yourself by uploading only, to improve your ratio. Once you reach the said ratio you are then back in the good graces of the community and may download again. Anyone caught duping an account to avoid uploading has their IP permanently banned. They also have some torrents which are free and dont count againt your DL stats. This enables new people and people who get older torrents a chance to keep their ratio up. Mayby you could make the 1st 24hrs a torrent is up free and then start counting DL stats after that.
Old 2008-12-09, 06:48 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

We actually do have some limits in place. From our FAQ:
Quote:
"Connection limit exceeded! You may only download/leech x shows at a time"
BitTorrents works by you downloading from one person and then uploading to another. In a perfect world, you would upload just as much as you download (and have a 1.0 ratio). In order to try to achieve this, you really should not be downloading/uploading a whole lot of torrents. This means that it will take you forever to download those shows (and inconvenience the seeders since they have to stay on that torrent so long to finish you off) and it means you aren't going to be uploading much since your bandwidth is taken up with all your downloads. So, we are limiting people to downloading only x shows at a time (while allowing them to still upload on other shows). Please keep in mind that it is best to seed only a few shows at a time to give people a good download rate from you.

Currently, the following is in affect:
  • downloaded less than 10 GB - may only download 4 shows at a time
  • less than 0.50 ratio and downloaded over 10 GB- may only download 3 shows at a time
  • less than 0.60 ratio and downloaded over 10 GB- may only download 4 shows at a time
  • less than 0.70 ratio and downloaded over 10 GB- may only download 5 shows at a time
This is subject to change if we happen to notice people abusing the system. Also, if you register another username just to download more shows, you can be banned from the site.

Old 2008-12-09, 06:57 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimaize View Post
Mayby you could make the 1st 24hrs a torrent is up free and then start counting DL stats after that.
That would be like 50% of the bandwidth that goes through here.
Old 2008-12-09, 07:54 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Better would be to make it free after a year. Why would we want to give the 1st 24 hours? That's exactly when all the hit-and-run downloaders are going to hit it.

Or as some sites do it, if you're ratio is below a certain point, you can't d/l it at the start.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers