The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-31, 03:54 PM
CONFORM | OBEY | CONSUME
115.86 GB/148.83 GB/1.28

Re: MD5 Check Fails After Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaz
What i found out was that in the new compilation box you have to make sure "Joliet" is checked on the ISO page, and "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" is checked on the LABEL page.
Interesting, never heard that this had to be done before.

The "Joliet" box on the ISO page is grayed out when choosing "DVD-Video" under new compilation. But the box is indeed checked if I choose to make a "DVD-ROM (ISO)" compilation.

The "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" box is NOT checked on the LABEL page at the moment. Could this, by itself, be the reason the verification fails for some files?
he who goes to bed with itchy anus wakes up with stinky finger.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-31, 04:20 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Sorry, should've been more specific with describing the problem.

I'm trying to burn a video DVD that I downloaded from Easytree. I have a Plextor PX-708A and use Nero 6.3.1.20. The torrent came with a md5 file, and it verifys fine on my HD. With Nero, I'm choosing "DVD-Video" under New Compilation and typically burn at 4x. After Nero's done, I recheck the md5 file on the disc. Here are the files that failed verification:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
Well, that nails it . Nero is performing re-author operations to the files before burning. Those files are used to store the header information, chapter breaks, menus, etc. The video files themselves have not been altered.

Nero sometimes changes things in the header files to fit to certain standards that the DVD authoring process may not have addressed. I would be willing to bet that if you burned it as a data disc with a VIDEO_TS folder on it rather as a DVD-Video that it would verify the md5s perfectly. It also, however, may have a bit less compatibility on standalone players, as some are more picky about playing out-of-standard discs than others.

Give it a try, see if it plays on your standalone, and report back.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-31, 06:53 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

ummm, call me crazy, but every time i've ever used Nero to burn a "DVD-Video" disc, it will NOT allow the MD5 to be burned onto the disc. an error message immediately pops up telling me that it isn't a standard DVD file (or some such message), i click "OK" and the file (MD5 checksum) is NOT burned onto the DVD-video disc.

very strange problem, seeing as i don't think Nero will allow an MD5 to be burned to a DVD-video disc.

p.s. i sort of doubt that Nero is re-authoring or changing any header information, assuming the files (VOBs etc.) were compliant with DVD specs. if they aren't compliant, then it may very well be re-encoding/authoring the video.
Old 2005-01-31, 08:00 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaz
As Raindawg sed, nobody can really diagnose with more info, but i had a similar problem when i first started backing up my shows on cd (and then later on dvd). i was using Nero to make ISO data copies of the shows, and everything burned fine and passed nero's data verification check, but when i checked the files with the md5 verification, they all failed.

What i found out was that in the new compilation box you have to make sure "Joliet" is checked on the ISO page, and "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" is checked on the LABEL page.

After making these two changes, i never had a problem again. It even went back on a multisession disc and "fixed" torrents i had previously burned.
It sounds to me like Nero was burning the data files with truncated file names. Since the file names were no longer the same as the ones in the md5 file, the md5 verification failed. By making sure Joliet was turned on you allowed Nero to burn long file names as found in the md5 files. When the md5 checks failed were you getting 'file missing' errors, as opposed to 'checksum failed' errors?
Old 2005-01-31, 09:34 PM
CONFORM | OBEY | CONSUME
115.86 GB/148.83 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Well, that nails it . Nero is performing re-author operations to the files before burning. Those files are used to store the header information, chapter breaks, menus, etc. The video files themselves have not been altered.

Nero sometimes changes things in the header files to fit to certain standards that the DVD authoring process may not have addressed. I would be willing to bet that if you burned it as a data disc with a VIDEO_TS folder on it rather as a DVD-Video that it would verify the md5s perfectly. It also, however, may have a bit less compatibility on standalone players, as some are more picky about playing out-of-standard discs than others.

Give it a try, see if it plays on your standalone, and report back.
Cool, burning it as a data disc worked! All files verified OK. Haven't tried it on a standalone yet, but I don't care. As long as md5 checks pass, I'm good.

Bravo RainDawg.
Old 2005-02-01, 07:17 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
ummm, call me crazy, but every time i've ever used Nero to burn a "DVD-Video" disc, it will NOT allow the MD5 to be burned onto the disc. an error message immediately pops up telling me that it isn't a standard DVD file (or some such message), i click "OK" and the file (MD5 checksum) is NOT burned onto the DVD-video disc.

very strange problem, seeing as i don't think Nero will allow an MD5 to be burned to a DVD-video disc.

p.s. i sort of doubt that Nero is re-authoring or changing any header information, assuming the files (VOBs etc.) were compliant with DVD specs. if they aren't compliant, then it may very well be re-encoding/authoring the video.
You're right, it will not allow you to burn an md5 file. I keep these in an archive on my hard drive. Like I said, Nero's DVD-Video burner does extra checks to make sure all standards are met, which is why it will sometimes edit the authored info files (not the VOBs themselves). One case of this is where people edit the header to say NTSC even when the video itself is in PAL. This will "trick" some DVD players into playing the video even though they technically do not play PAL. Nero will notice that the header information is incorrect and instead replace it with a header that says NTSC....thus ruining the md5 check for those files.

Nero WILL re-encode video files that are out of standard, but that is not the case here. That takes quite some time, and would be obvious to the user. It will, however, alter some of the information stored in the info files (aka reauthoring) and will do so without shooting up a warning in any way to the user that this has happened. Again, we are not talking about the main .VOB files here, as those passed md5 fine and Nero did not alter those in any way.

I would say burn as a data disc and make sure that your standalone can play the discs that way. Nero was absolutely "correcting" something when burning as a DVD-Video, but this may or may not be something that causes your specific player to freak out. My older Sony is VERY finicky, and I can't burn with extra files (md5s) or altered headers at all, lest it won't play the discs. I always use Nero and allow it to set everything correctly for me, accepting that the info files will no longer pass the md5.

SeekOnce, please let us know what brand your DVD player is, and whether the disc is playable and passes md5.....just for my own curiosity .
What's never been,
Old 2005-02-01, 06:53 PM
CONFORM | OBEY | CONSUME
115.86 GB/148.83 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
You're right, it will not allow you to burn an md5 file. I keep these in an archive on my hard drive. Like I said, Nero's DVD-Video burner does extra checks to make sure all standards are met, which is why it will sometimes edit the authored info files (not the VOBs themselves). One case of this is where people edit the header to say NTSC even when the video itself is in PAL. This will "trick" some DVD players into playing the video even though they technically do not play PAL. Nero will notice that the header information is incorrect and instead replace it with a header that says NTSC....thus ruining the md5 check for those files.

Nero WILL re-encode video files that are out of standard, but that is not the case here. That takes quite some time, and would be obvious to the user. It will, however, alter some of the information stored in the info files (aka reauthoring) and will do so without shooting up a warning in any way to the user that this has happened. Again, we are not talking about the main .VOB files here, as those passed md5 fine and Nero did not alter those in any way.

I would say burn as a data disc and make sure that your standalone can play the discs that way. Nero was absolutely "correcting" something when burning as a DVD-Video, but this may or may not be something that causes your specific player to freak out. My older Sony is VERY finicky, and I can't burn with extra files (md5s) or altered headers at all, lest it won't play the discs. I always use Nero and allow it to set everything correctly for me, accepting that the info files will no longer pass the md5.

SeekOnce, please let us know what brand your DVD player is, and whether the disc is playable and passes md5.....just for my own curiosity .
Err, you're not confusing me with h_vargas, right RainDawg?

My standalone dvd player is a Toshiba SD-1600. It's ancient and it refuses to recognize dvd+r's. The files did indeed pass md5 check so I'm a happy camper.
Old 2005-02-01, 07:08 PM
TTD VIP
437.11 GB/10.44 TB/24.45

bottom line is it actually goodthat nero does that because otherwise we would have a bunch of people that couldn't get discs to play
Old 2005-03-04, 03:53 PM
smurphy
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question Burning .md5 and .txt files to DVD-Video discs?

I am using Nero Express 6 and was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully burn .md5 and .txt files to the root directory using this program. I found a topic in the Tecnobabble Archive releating to this but none of the comments specified Nero Express.

When I try to add any file that is not an .ifo, .vob, or .bup I get the following error message:

No compatible file found.

I've tried adding the 'extra' files to the root, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with no luck. Does Nero Express just suck or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
Old 2005-03-04, 06:49 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Re: Burning .md5 and .txt files to DVD-Video discs?

Don't know about "Express", but Nero 6.6 has no problem with adding .md5's or .nfo/txt files to the root of a DVD video compilation. It won't let me add them to the VIDEO_TS subdirectory, but that's all.

BTW, do you know that you need to edit your MD5's to include a path

" \VIDEO_TS" in your checksums so you can run the MD5 from the root and check the files in VIDEO_TS......

Maybe you need to dig up a full version of Nero ??
Old 2005-03-04, 11:00 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I don't know if it works but I saw fatoldpig post that he burns a data disc with VIDEO_TS, empty AUDIO_TS, and dumps all the other stuff in a folder called EXTRAS_TS and that works with standalone players.

oh, and you should probably finalize the disc.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-03-07, 07:49 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Nero Express ( I use this exclusively) can do this, but you need to burn a data DVD project and add the Video_TS, blank Audio_TS, and extra files into the root by hand. Note that these extra files make it a "non-standard" DVD, and as such some finicky players will refuse to read them. My Sony does not work when extra files like this are added, though most cheaper (read: hackable) players have no issue with them. Test this to make sure it works on your personal standalone.

Also, never do this when burning discs for other people in a trade, as it's rude to presume they have a player that can read out of standard discs. Only burn these for personal use.
What's never been,
Old 2005-03-07, 04:06 PM
smurphy
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for the replies. I was able to burn a disc with the .txt, .md5 and .jpg coverart to the root using RainDawg's method. The disc then played fine with WinDVD on the computer but failed when I tried it in my Sony DVD player. I got the 'no disc' error.

Until I "upgrade" my standalone DVD player to one the plays a wider range of discs (my Sony DVD player plays all DVD-R and DVD+R I've tried but won't play a single CDR), I will continue to burn standard discs (without the extra files) and save the extras on the HD for seeding.
Old 2005-03-07, 05:10 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

"No disc" error can only be caused if the disc wasn't burnt as 'DVD-Video'.

BTW: I notice strange problem with burning DVDs under Nero 6.6.0.6. All BUP and IFO files are changed, and do not match md5 verification! The change is subtle, just one bit (?) when compared in a hex editor - the file size is not changed. However, disc play without any problem.

Any explanation?
Old 2005-03-07, 05:41 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
"No disc" error can only be caused if the disc wasn't burnt as 'DVD-Video'.

BTW: I notice strange problem with burning DVDs under Nero 6.6.0.6. All BUP and IFO files are changed, and do not match md5 verification! The change is subtle, just one bit (?) when compared in a hex editor - the file size is not changed. However, disc play without any problem.

Any explanation?
I just burned the Beatles DVD's using Nero 6.6.0.6 with the md5's in the root, and all of my files hashed checked against the originals. I was paying scrupulous attention to this, because I wanted to transport the discs, image them with DVD Decrypter and make a few copies using another machine. I imaged them, and extracted the image for test purposes, and the md5's STILL hash checked against the originals burned with Nero.

Don't know what your problem is. Are you changing the original file dates in the "compilation properties" settings ? I don't know any other Nero setting that would alter the file in any way.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble