The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Would you post more in the Lounge if it were more actively moderated like the rest of TTD?
Yes 33 36.67%
No 57 63.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-27, 02:04 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Re: Why don't you visit the Lounge @ TTD? (public poll)

wouldn't banning aliases also free up server space and increase speed saving some money...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-27, 02:13 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
exactly. But they do average 400 users in their GD with 200 people minimum.
its a mix of hardcore A/V nerds and a handful of serious audio engineers.. like Atlantic records/major label audio engineers. pretty cool.
when I showed up there a post or two were deleted daily had to adjust the mouth management. I like that forum. its alright when I need a break from here.
um.. uh. its not the 80,000 users some were expecting.
I didn't mind the nerdiness factor, and the tech talk part...
Eh, it doesn't really matter.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2011-01-27, 02:15 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I took a look at the members list the other day to see what new members here had become participants in the General Discussion forums. It was kind of disheartening. Since 2009, over two years, the number of new GD posters could be counted on one hand.

There are at least 9 usernames so far that I don't recognize who have voted yes. Personally I think it would be great if we had that many more folks posting in GD.
Old 2011-01-27, 03:06 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wicker Man View Post
wouldn't banning aliases also free up server space and increase speed saving some money...
Everytime an alias is made it cost the server 20 gigs.
Old 2011-01-27, 03:07 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

And here too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I'm playing the Admin card guys. My forum, my threads to mod.

Old 2011-01-27, 03:07 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

every time an alias posts lord baby jesus has a flash back about being crucified
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-27, 03:09 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
I took a look at the members list the other day to see what new members here had become participants in the General Discussion forums. It was kind of disheartening. Since 2009, over two years, the number of new GD posters could be counted on one hand.

There are at least 9 usernames so far that I don't recognize who have voted yes. Personally I think it would be great if we had that many more folks posting in GD.
True, but people have to want to come in first. Some folks just aren't that social, or have internet blocked at work.

Perhaps if certain threads (such as the Zeppelin threads) were only visible to users with over 100 posts, some newbies would not feel so intimidated?

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2011-01-27, 03:54 PM
Political Hack
10.32 GB/32.56 GB/3.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider895 View Post
True, but people have to want to come in first. Some folks just aren't that social, or have internet blocked at work.

Perhaps if certain threads (such as the Zeppelin threads) were only visible to users with over 100 posts, some newbies would not feel so intimidated?
I think, if you up the post count, you just found a good solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman
You are more elite than anybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Does it bother you that you have so much in common with Karl Rove?
Old 2011-01-27, 04:33 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

cc, send me some pralines, please
Old 2011-01-27, 04:58 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Love pecans, but never been a praline fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-27, 05:08 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Pralines taste like mushy nuts.
Old 2011-01-27, 05:10 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigguy View Post
I think, if you up the post count, you just found a good solution.

I did at the beginning suggest just create another subforum and move the shit to there. So the trolls and aliases can still have their fun, but outside of what should be the main discussion area, and we all can jump in and throw some shit around and poke some well known bears to see what we see. There are at least some people that have known me long enough to know the lounge started as little to no moderation, hands off forum at my insistence and not without having to fight for it. I love to partake in that, and have been banned here and elsewhere for pushing it too far. I get that and enjoy it, but 6 years later when I look at the site as a whole I just still see the discussion side needing help of some kind. And still think that the average music fan that wanders over there is likely going to wander out before meeting any posting requirements to see any forums or threads that have one. I am not for heavy handed moderation and have never been.

If rules are going to be posted, then adjust them to reflect what is to be expected and stay true to moderating it using them.

First thing I hoped to find out was if anyone else had feelings about it as a whole. There is a group of regulars don't want anything changed. Nothing shocking there, the ones that are doing just what I am saying, have on cue chimed in with why I am full of shit. They even had a hard time not bashing some people that I have never seen posting around the lounge, nor do I expect to see them posting anytime soon after that nice "hello, we asked for your input, but who the fuck are you and you don't know shit'.

I am more concerned with what new users or longtime lurkers see when they do venture over there. Some of the people that enjoy the fast pace and thick skin required lounge, are very different than when they post elsewhere.

Hoping there would be more ideas from others. Not just a thread of repetitive pro's and con's of moderation levels.

I fucking hate mods, always have. A necessary evil and I did my share of time modding the GD at STG and tried to not mod the lounge here in the beginning. Finally walked away because I did not want heavy moderation. Me stating that a discussion board may need more moderation is very similar to TVhead stating that a picture someone else posted might be inappropriate.

The only other idea I have is to just better use the place up top in regards to requirements. I still think that brothels and such serve the regulars, but do not serve the site in regards to people seeing what they see and not knowing anything else and not getting a chance to get to know some of the regulars in a way that reflects the non lounge side of their personality.

The thread was edited by Craig in the way he does, James scolded him and then Lynne laid down the law. Even that alone is enough to take a look at my comments regarding staff. But in the end they should at least be consistent, and the group should get along as a whole. Seems that is not the case here.
Old 2011-01-27, 05:13 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

splitter
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-27, 05:25 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider895 View Post
cc what I was trying to say was that it looks like if we actually enforced the rules as stated we would have had 3x as many new posters in GD. We would have had 3x the number of people who wanted to come in.
Old 2011-01-27, 05:38 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrayoll View Post
splitter

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
lounge