The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-10, 11:14 AM
where am i
116.63 GB/71.51 GB/0.61

PC won't load windows

I was trying to run Norton Ghost 2003 to burn an image of my c drive onto a dvd. It restarted the computer and opened ghost from dos to do the backup and froze......i tried to restart the computer but it keeps trying to load pc dos to use ghost every time....and if i select to cancel going into dos and just load windows it hangs......anyone have any suggestions?

come back to me my mistake...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-10, 12:21 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: PC won't load windows

Do you by chance have SATA hard drives?

Also, if possible, try version 9.0 of Ghost. No rebooting necessary. Everything is done right in Windows and you can even still be using your computer while backing up.

Also, copy/paste your boot.ini file. We may be able to fix it by editing that file. It can be found in the root of the hard drive Windows is installed on - c:\ (or whatever drive letter you're booting to). You can open it with Notepad.
Old 2005-06-10, 12:32 PM
where am i
116.63 GB/71.51 GB/0.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Do you by chance have SATA hard drives?

Also, if possible, try version 9.0 of Ghost. No rebooting necessary. Everything is done right in Windows and you can even still be using your computer while backing up.

Also, copy/paste your boot.ini file. We may be able to fix it by editing that file. It can be found in the root of the hard drive Windows is installed on - c:\ (or whatever drive letter you're booting to). You can open it with Notepad.
my c drive is a sata drive but the thing is i cant load windows now, my pc every time i start it wants to load the ghost backup software in dos and which freezes up and when i tell it to load just to windows it freezes up so i can't do anything

Old 2005-06-10, 12:40 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barbour
my c drive is a sata drive but the thing is i cant load windows now, my pc every time i start it wants to load the ghost backup software in dos and which freezes up and when i tell it to load just to windows it freezes up so i can't do anything
Yeah, sorry. I just realized that when I was returning to this thread. I did a quick Google and found THIS. Not sure if it'll help or not. If it doesn't, post back and in the mean time, let me know what version of Windows you're using and I'll have a way to grab that boot.ini file ready so I can take a look at it.
Old 2005-06-10, 12:45 PM
where am i
116.63 GB/71.51 GB/0.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Yeah, sorry. I just realized that when I was returning to this thread. I did a quick Google and found THIS. Not sure if it'll help or not. If it doesn't, post back and in the mean time, let me know what version of Windows you're using and I'll have a way to grab that boot.ini file ready so I can take a look at it.

Windows XP, and i'll try that other thing when i get home from work.

Old 2005-06-10, 01:29 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Ok, I have to go soon too. When you get the chance, go HERE and choose the correct boot disk to make based on either Home/Pro and SP1 or not (if you have SP2, choose SP1 for the boot disk).
Once you've done that, read these instructions copied from that page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by from artice
HOW TO USE A BOOT DISKETTE

Once the bootable diskette has been successfully created following the below steps you will be able to boot from the diskette.

Place the diskette into write protect mode (incase a virus is on the computer this will not allow the virus to transfer itself onto the diskette).
Insert the diskette into the computer and reset or turn on the computer to begin the boot process.
As the computer is booting the computer is booting up, answer the questions prompted (if any).
Once at the A:\> take the appropriate actions depending upon the situation of the computer.
Once at the A:\> prompt, you'll need to insert a blank floppy so you can copy the boot.ini file to it. To copy boot.ini follow my instructions carefully by noting the correct number of spaces and DO NOT copy the quotes - only copy what's between them. For example: "copy(1 space)a:\(1 space)c:\" would mean that there is a single space between the word "copy" and the following lower case letter "a" and another single space between the backslash and the following lower case letter "c". Also, DO NOT copy the parenthesis.

Ok, do the following, hitting the "enter" key after each line:

c: <enter>
copy(1 space)boot.ini(1space)a: <enter>

...that's it. You should now have a copy of the boot.ini file on the floppy. Open it in Notepad and copy/paste everything and post it here. I hope I'll be able to fix it.
Old 2005-06-10, 03:12 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

I believe C://Format C would probably work too.....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble