The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-03-28, 08:41 PM
1.89 TB/1.51 TB/0.80

Is there anyway to fix my status as firewalled without portforwarding?

please help, I just got back on the site and 1500 uploaded didn't register and I am listed as firewalled.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-28, 08:52 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Is there anyway to fix my status as firewalled without portforwarding?

no, you need to forward the port you are using (35587) to you machine's ip address ( Start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all ) in your router. Turn off your windows firewall on the connection you are using.

www.portforward.com will help tremendously.

however - none of that will keep your upload credit from counting. the thing is, one of the torrents you are on only has you and the seeder - no way you can upload because no one needs your data. The seeder can't connect to you since you are firewalled and probably doesn;t know what you need. The other torrent you are on has several seeds, but all three peers are firewalled, so the seeds don't know what you need and the peers can't connect to you for you to upload.

Your ratio is so exact, it's painfully obvious that you are on comcast, the shittiest internet provider out there for BT - they don't let you upload if you aren't actively downloading, so it throws yet another monkey wrench into the problem.

There are some tricks to get around the comcast throttling (they swear they don't do), but forwarding your ports should be the first thing you do since you can actually control that yourself.
Old 2008-03-28, 11:41 PM
240.81 GB/539.10 GB/2.24

Actually, Comcast released an ambiguous statement saying that they'll either
1) stop fraudulently injecting RST packets into bittorrent connections
or
2) start fraudulently injecting RST packets into all connections.
by the end of the year.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 2008-03-29, 10:48 PM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

"by the end of the year." How nice of them...
Old 2008-03-31, 12:50 PM
1.89 TB/1.51 TB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
no, you need to forward the port you are using (35587) to you machine's ip address ( Start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all ) in your router. Turn off your windows firewall on the connection you are using.

however - none of that will keep your upload credit from counting. the thing is, one of the torrents you are on only has you and the seeder - no way you can upload because no one needs your data. The seeder can't connect to you since you are firewalled and probably doesn;t know what you need. The other torrent you are on has several seeds, but all three peers are firewalled, so the seeds don't know what you need and the peers can't connect to you for you to upload.

Your ratio is so exact, it's painfully obvious that you are on comcast, the shittiest internet provider out there for BT - they don't let you upload if you aren't actively downloading, so it throws yet another monkey wrench into the problem.

There are some tricks to get around the comcast throttling (they swear they don't do), but forwarding your ports should be the first thing you do since you can actually control that yourself.

I want to be sure that my ip address is NOT the same at all times, will this make it the same?
Old 2008-03-31, 12:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post

I want to be sure that my ip address is NOT the same at all times, will this make it the same?
There are two different IPs that we talk about. There is the IP that everyone sees you at - like the ones you see in Azureus in the list of leechers. Then, there is your *local* IP which is the one your router associates with your computer. That is the one we want to stay static and noone but your router uses it. It will look like 192.168.1.xxx. Many people have it set up so that the router gives you a different local IP everytime you start your computer. So, one time it will give you 192.168.1.100 and then another time it will give you 192.168.1.110. That makes it hard to forward your ports because it is always different. So, you need to tell your router to always give you the same, static, IP. This is a list of guides on how to do it. Just pick your OS from this list: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Old 2008-03-31, 01:24 PM
1.89 TB/1.51 TB/0.80

Bittornado is showing the status as yellow, and I am uploading, I have now uploaded over 3545 mb's on the 11-20-98 Phish torrent, but under my name on this site it still shows firewalled.
Old 2008-03-31, 01:30 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Being firewalled doesn't mean you can't upload or download. All being firewalled means is that you may ONLY connect to NON-firewalled users. That's all.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble