The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-03, 05:22 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

As we all know, without people uploading music via bittorrent, this site would not exist. Should we ban thoughtless leechers who never give anything back to the community, thereby raping all of the ttd bandwith and hurting the efforts of spreading the music?

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi

Last edited by Chachi420; 2007-05-05 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-03, 05:32 PM
Favorite vocalist = Sam Cooke
386.87 GB/460.16 GB/1.19

Re: Should we ban mindless leechers?

Do postwhores steal bandwidth ??
Old 2007-05-03, 05:35 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzobonham
Do postwhores steal bandwidth ??
heh...pw's create more server load (but, yes, it's bandwith too)!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2007-05-03, 06:07 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

does this mean to ban them outright, or to ban downloading but still allow uploading to improve the ratio above the requirement??? I think an outright ban would screw some innocent people who might have fallen into a hard time, or the newb that's catching up on old torrents with no other leechers to share with...if we ban downloading but allow uploads they can remain as seeders, or reseed (or upload if they have something of their own...or from elswhere)

I believe in enforcing a ratio, but not necessarily kickin em out...that may be harsh...after all, we do have to sleep at night

besides, if they can't dl, they'll either leave of their own accord, or become helpful...either way, a dl ban would prevent the rape of bandwidth, which is really the point...I don't care about spanking the dumbass who doesn't care, I'm more interested in improving the quality of the community for those of us who give a shit...I'd vote for a dl ban, but otherwise, I think too many good folks might get turned off or shut out...any opinions guys
Old 2007-05-03, 06:57 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
does this mean to ban them outright, or to ban downloading but still allow uploading to improve the ratio above the requirement??? I think an outright ban would screw some innocent people who might have fallen into a hard time, or the newb that's catching up on old torrents with no other leechers to share with...if we ban downloading but allow uploads they can remain as seeders, or reseed (or upload if they have something of their own...or from elswhere)

I believe in enforcing a ratio, but not necessarily kickin em out...that may be harsh...after all, we do have to sleep at night

besides, if they can't dl, they'll either leave of their own accord, or become helpful...either way, a dl ban would prevent the rape of bandwidth, which is really the point...I don't care about spanking the dumbass who doesn't care, I'm more interested in improving the quality of the community for those of us who give a shit...I'd vote for a dl ban, but otherwise, I think too many good folks might get turned off or shut out...any opinions guys
Yes, it would be necessary to first warn the user to give them a chance to improve their ratio.

Old 2007-05-03, 07:20 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

I'm starting to think now that the ratio is not as important as the absolute value
of the difference between dl and ul

for example, someone who's dl 20GB and only ul 10GB has a ratio of 0.5. But the difference is only 10GB...not too bad (only 1 dvd9 show)

BUT if someone has dl 500GB and only ul 250GB, then that's 250GB and that's a big deal (equivalent to ~25 DVD9 shows!)

Old 2007-05-03, 07:40 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

First option. Every user with a ratio above 1.0. My guess is the site would implode doing the calculations.

OTOH, how can be measured the mindless state of a leecher? Even worse, who wil measure our state of mind?
Old 2007-05-03, 07:51 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium
First option. Every user with a ratio above 1.0. My guess is the site would implode doing the calculations.

OTOH, how can be measured the mindless state of a leecher? Even worse, who wil measure our state of mind?
if it's literally "mindless", then I guess I'm outta here! I lost my mind just a couple of times.... :wacko: :cyclops:

Old 2007-05-03, 07:54 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

do a ratio check for every 50gb or something so people have a chance to cath up...if it's every 50 or 25 or something, they will know when they will get checked, and it's on them to be in good standing at that point...but 50 or 100gb gives people plenty of time to get settled befor enforcing any requirements from the start of membership...just my opinion...if people are still allowed to upload and improve their status, than I vote for a .50 ratio...I think those with big appetites and little capabilities can make up the difference with vines and bnps and such...so that's where my vote is goin...hopefully this brings results when it's all said and done...hopefully we actually get some serious votes to get a realistic idea of the general state of mind of the average user
Old 2007-05-05, 01:59 AM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

I think Chachi should be banned for over seeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-05-05, 11:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The big problem is..... we aren't just a torrent site, like DIME. It would be easy to think of banning or limiting uploads for people with low ratios if all we were was a torrent site. But, what about those that download and then offer a Vine for every show they get? That is 'giving away' a whole show, kinda like uploading that amount to someone. Or, what about those that offer up a ton of B&Ps? The whole reason I added a list of Vines and B&Ps to a person's profile is so people can see if they offered them and then take that into consideration along with the ratio when they are asked to open a window.

These guys who have poor ratios and then come around asking for reseeds probably have a much lower chance of a reseed than someone who has a good ratio or someone who has also started Vines or offered B&Ps. Karma comes around to get them. Notice how that dudogger guy didn't even like the fact that we *show* ratios. He knows he is getting judged by it and doesn't like it (and may be embarrassed by it). I figure karma comes around to get these guys. Maybe not now, maybe not next week, but they will ask for a show to get reseeded and will have people ignore the request because of their ratio and lack of giving in other ways.

Old 2007-05-05, 11:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

But, if we were to ban all those with low ratios, we could be banning a good Viner or good B&Per.

Also, in regards to the title.... I think we should be talking about *thoughtless* leechers, not mindless ones. The mindless ones seem to be totally unaware, but once they become aware, they try to raise their ratios. It's the thoughtless ones - the ones that are aware but come up with excuse after excuse of why they can't give back and why they are owed - that we should be talking about.

Old 2007-05-05, 11:39 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

i have an idea for those of you who cant handle the low ratios(which are NOT inforced here)

why not add everyone you see with a ratio unexceptable to you, to your ignore list. in about 6months time youll have a site with no-one but people with
good(?) ratios........

Old 2007-05-05, 12:06 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

I'm less concerned with punishing the guilty, and I agree that it's hard to seperate the poor ratios with good intentions from the thoughtless leechers to make an actual policy, but there ought to be a way to eliminate the extreme cases like this, because it makes the experience less enjoyable to the quality people that are doing the right thing...

we still suffer from their rape of the bandwidth whether we ignore them or not, and that still affects the community and the flow of the torrents...it's one thing to take the bandwidth and then redistribute thru vines and bnps and such, but to take without giving anything of any kind should be stopped...more for the sake of the upstanding members of the community than anything else...it's offensive, and goes beyond decency...even if bans are made on a case by case basis, there are plenty of cases (like dudogger) that need to be reviewed...they offer nothing but attitude and yet are protected by the admin...what about those who actually contribute here??? please consider the effects this behavior has on us...don't act harshly towards those who do their part, but don't offer a free pass to people like dudogger...it's just a poor decision...I have great respect for U2Lynne, but I think she is being a little too soft on this issue...I appreciate her point of view, but there must be a way to seperate from those who give back (in one fasion or another) and those who take without care...if anyone can find an evenhanded way to do something like this, it would be her...here's hopin for the best...thanks to everyone who got this ball rollin...even if nothing comes of it, I appreciate the flow of ideas on this thread
Old 2007-05-05, 12:25 PM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

either enforce or remove the ratio stats

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers