The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-07-14, 02:22 AM
202.00 GB/271.74 GB/1.35

DVD torrent pulled?

I recently posted a Kinks DVD torrent but it was pulled because it was sourced from another DVD (which had some official material). I used DVDshrink to extract (no compression was needed) though admittedly i missed dvd shrink out of the lineage. I've seen torrents on this site which used shrink so perhaps i might be able to post this after all?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-14, 08:13 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: DVD torrent pulled?

Did you know you do NOT need to use dvd shrink to extract the DVD? All you need to do it drag/drop the contents to your harddrive (usually just the VIDEO_TS folder) and that's it.

Joe pulled the show for PAL > NTSC transcoding, which isn't allowed. You may want to PM him about it.

Old 2007-07-14, 01:11 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

I think you missed a key line there, Lynne. I think he's saying the original DVD had some official stuff on it, too. He extracted the non-official stuff with the shrinky thingy.
..."because it was sourced from another DVD (which had some official material). I used DVDshrink to extract (no compression was needed)"...
You couldn't pick and choose by just drag and drop right to your drive, only copy a whole DVD, which would have given all the contents, including the parts that are nono's (official stuff).
Is that what was meant? Or am I talking out my A$$?
Old 2007-07-15, 01:58 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

okay that's true, some editing was necessary so drag and drop was not possible in this case.

it was pulled for PAL>NTSC transcoding. if a disc is transcoded to PAL>NTSC, then its traded back to europe and transcoded from NTSC>PAL, then its traded back to the states again and transcoded PAL>NTSC you lose quality, so we require DVDs be kept in the original format (PAL or NTSC).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-07-16, 06:52 AM
202.00 GB/271.74 GB/1.35

hi,
my source DVD is NTSC. I only used the reauthor facility on DVD shrink to extract the non official material (no PAL>NTSC transcoding involved!) though some transcoding has probably has been done in the making of my source DVD
by parties unknown as the material is a mixture of U.K and U.S. tv shows
Old 2007-07-17, 09:49 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

it is not you who did the conversion, it was done before you got the dvd. the entire Old Grey Whistle Test portion is from the BBC, which was originally PAL format.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-07-17, 03:28 PM
202.00 GB/271.74 GB/1.35

Fair enough but why are there NTSC DVD torrents still listed from PAL territories
(there are 5 or 6 Rockpalast Shows and an NTSC ROry Gallaghere whistle test for example)?
Old 2007-08-13, 11:07 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorshoes
Fair enough but why are there NTSC DVD torrents still listed from PAL territories
(there are 5 or 6 Rockpalast Shows and an NTSC Rory Gallagher whistle test for example)?
That Rory show is from a Japanese broadcast - Japan is NTSC.

In the case of a studio doing a professional conversion using top of the line equipment that costs tens of thousands of dollars (especially the Japanese - they do amazing transfers), that's a much different story than someone doing it on a PC - which is the case 99% of the time with boot DVDs.
Old 2007-08-13, 11:27 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think it's important to post the governing guidelines here, if this discission is to be continued:

From the FAQ:

10. No Transcoded DVDs are allowed.
We do not allow any DVDs to be seeded that have been recompressed in any way. This includes any DVD9>DVD5 or PAL>NTSC or NTSC>PAL. Please seed the DVDs in the original released form. The only exception here is if you received a DVD with no menus or chapters, then feel free to add a menu and chapter points, but please give credit to the original author, if known. Once you download the show, you may do what you want to it, but please only share the DVDs in their original released form.

Original released form. Like SSDVDs says, the pros have the stuff to convert correctly and usually do a good job - and since they are releasing a recording, generally on silver disc, I would interpret that to fit the rule above.

A guy, in his basement, running a tool he grabbed from videohelp.com, isn't exactly the same thing and falls into the scenario Five posted above.

Perhaps something should be modified in the FAQ to make this more explicit, but it seems to be covered, to me.

Are you a pro that is authoring a pressed DVD release? If not, don't transcode. Am I reading that right?
Old 2007-08-31, 05:35 AM
202.00 GB/271.74 GB/1.35

i get your point about the difference between a domestic transcode and a professional real time conversion of the broadcast material (as a professional for 18 years in broadcast facilities i am more than a little qualified to comment on the subject!). however don't always assume that material from a conversion is always going to be better than a transcode. it depends on the vintage of the conversion. high quality motion compensated converters only really came into their own in the 90's so anything prior to this might be suspect. just a word of warning!
Old 2008-02-18, 08:18 AM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

I'm reusing this thread title because I cannot find the right place to ask this.

Why this video was pulled?

Yoko Ono 1994-03-xx Now NBC (NTSC)

I was hoping to join late in this week, but it's gone, and with no explanation.
Old 2008-02-18, 08:25 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium View Post
I'm reusing this thread title because I cannot find the right place to ask this.

Why this video was pulled?

Yoko Ono 1994-03-xx Now NBC (NTSC)

I was hoping to join late in this week, but it's gone, and with no explanation.
This torrent was pulled at the request of the seeder. His explanation is at the end of the link you posted.
Old 2008-02-18, 08:35 AM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

But it's too strange (and childish?). And I can't see from the comments what was wrong.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for answering.
Old 2008-02-18, 10:05 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
But it's too strange (and childish?). And I can't see from the comments what was wrong.

I pulled the Yoko Ono torrents because of the negative comments that it generated. The comments seemed to be going into a rather dark area regarding the murder of John Lennon, and how Mark David Chapman should have murdered Yoko, and done us all a favor. I don't feel that we benefit from that discussion so I removed the torrent. Many of my posts here are removed by moderators, and none of them endorse violence, murder of personal degradation. So I feel comfortable with removing the torrent. I just reviewed the original post and see that staff has removed the offensive post from the comments, so it is no wonder that you would question why it was pulled.
Old 2008-02-18, 10:10 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
Quote:

I pulled the Yoko Ono torrents because of the negative comments that it generated. The comments seemed to be going into a rather dark area regarding the murder of John Lennon, and how Mark David Chapman should have murdered Yoko, and done us all a favor. I don't feel that we benefit from that discussion so I removed the torrent. Many of my posts here are removed by moderators, and none of them endorse violence, murder of personal degradation. So I feel comfortable with removing the torrent. I just reviewed the original post and see that staff has removed the offensive post from the comments, so it is no wonder that you would question why it was pulled.
so essentially by having the torrent removed - you killed katie couric & yoko.
dont be a hater vlad.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions