The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-28, 07:15 PM
ledzeppelinfan1963
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thumbs down help under standing down load process.

i just joined here,this is my first post.my question is,what exactly is it i need to do to download and burn my downloads?i'm a novice compueter opeartor at best.
what does torrent mean,how do i pick between loose and lossey,how do i convert the files over to burn them,and is my computer just slow,and why does it take so long for me to download stuff?SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE............................

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-28, 08:04 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: help under standing down load process.

well, first off, i'd recommend reading thru ALL of the FAQ...it seems like alot, but it'll help yer understanding of everything immensely...

also, TTD only deals in "lossless" shows, meaning its "pure audio"...so you don't have to "choose" cuz we DON"T allow lossy [i.e. mp3 or ogg or etc...]

Bit Torrent is a form of filesharing, and therefore you'll need a Bit Torrent client, such as Azureus, BitTornado, etc. [links in the FAQ]

To download a show, you'd open the .torrent file link with your BT client--the torrent file link is usually at the bottom of a show's first post [Audio shows are in the Audio Bit Torrent Downloads http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...splay.php?f=12 ...DVD shows in the Video Bit Torrent Downloads http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...splay.php?f=13 ]

the rate at which yuo can d/l a show depends on yer internet connection speed, the number of "seeders", the number of "leeches", and the size of the show...i've d/led DVD shows that took 3-4 days, and i've also gotten shows in a matter of hours...all depends--but trading via Bit Torrent takes patience!

for Audio shows, most of the time the lossless formats are either Flac [.flac] or Shorten [.shn] or Ape [.ape]...a program such as Trader's Little Helper [ http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/ ] will convert the lossless files to .wav files, which you can then burn using whatever burning program you have...

that's a *very* basic overview...READ the FAQ definitely! and feel free to ask more ?s here as needed...welcome to the Den!
Old 2005-06-29, 06:25 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

That's it! I'm going to write a guide on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-29, 07:35 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

a full "Newbie's Guide" is in the works Mamba...i don't know who's handlin the BT section, but there's a few of us covering the bases on both PC and Mac...should be a easy one-stop guide to get noobs going

i'm sure we could use some help if yer extra adept in any particular tech areas...
Old 2005-06-29, 08:37 AM
196.83 GB/400.49 GB/2.03

GO HERE http://wiki.etree.org/

David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

My List http://db.etree.org/tahoetoeknee
ISO- The Ventures, 10CC, Cal Jam I, The Pretty Things 65-69 live
Old 2005-06-29, 11:28 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
a full "Newbie's Guide" is in the works Mamba...i don't know who's handlin the BT section, but there's a few of us covering the bases on both PC and Mac...should be a easy one-stop guide to get noobs going

i'm sure we could use some help if yer extra adept in any particular tech areas...

Let me know if you need any help on guides or pieces of guides. Those courses in Technical Writing in College have to have some use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-06-29, 11:36 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Let me know if you need any help on guides or pieces of guides. Those courses in Technical Writing in College have to have some use!
I'm slowly working on a tutorial. I'll send it to you after I get some kind of rough draft, if you don't mind.
Old 2005-06-30, 03:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Actually TheMamba, we have a private forum where a few of us are posting guides and getting comments on them. If you want access to that forum, just PM me and I'll let you in.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble