The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-09-04, 10:33 PM
49.86 GB/59.82 GB/1.20

I wanna be green

Hello y'all. I have been an active memeber in good standing at a number of trading sites. I have recently gotten new internet service and am having a real hard time getting my upload to match my download. I keep torrents open for a long time but often I am stuck at 0 or 1 and at best I get to 14 or 15. I am not firewalled, and while I know that I am not paying premium service, I think that I should be getting better results from my efforts. I have tried different settings on my BT client, but that has had litte results. I hate having a frown next to my name when it comes to ULing, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. If their is another post regarding this same question, my apologies. Thanks in advance for your help.

R

DaleCooper (here)
Leatherface (everywhere else)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-09-04, 11:11 PM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Re: I wanna be green

What bitTorrent client are you using?
What are your download and upload speeds? (as specified by your ISP)

I'd recommend joining a new torrent so that there are plenty of people who you can upload to. Also make sure that you're not seeding too many shows at the same time. The number of shows you can seed will be dependent on the speed of your uploads.

Also, check your bitTorrent client to see if you have inadvertently restricted your upload speed.
Old 2008-09-04, 11:52 PM
49.86 GB/59.82 GB/1.20

I am using BitTornado that was posted in 2004. It is probably version 2 or 3. I have never had an issue. My ISP says I am supposed to have a cap 316 kbs which is not super fast but should be okay, right? I do not seed or leech more than two shows at a time so that I can maintain good karma. My BT client says that I am unlimted. Thanks for your help.

R
Old 2008-09-05, 05:28 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Perhaps you have no issue with connection (you are not firewalled) but you don't seed now a torrent that may use your full bandwidth. I see that you are seeding Rolling Stones - it has now 107 seeders and 1 person downloading it. No wonder that you may not upload anything as the leecher's torrent client can choose more optimal route for it. It works such way with any torrent.

The full upload speed you may reach when you are the main uploader, and/or if there are more people leeching than seeding.

Finally you may test your upload/download speed here.
Old 2008-09-05, 01:49 PM
49.86 GB/59.82 GB/1.20

Thanks for the testing link. I am aware of the few people snatching the torrent. I should have mentoned that, but even when it was hot I was having the problem. I really appreciate all of you help.

R

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble