The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2022-10-29, 04:06 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Re: Firewall false positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Ro View Post
Why won't port 1 work anymore? It did before.

Randomize is the only unchecked box, UPnP, NAT-PMP and Windows firewall exception all ticked.

No proxy settings used.
Valid port ranges are like 10000 to 65500. There's also some under 10000, but nothing under 1025. I don't know how port 1 worked for you.

Try checking the randomize box (or set a port between 10000 and 65500). Close and then reopen uTorrent.

UPnP, NAT-PMP protocols forward ports on your router and should be checked (otherwise you'd have to create the rules on the router). Windows firewall exception opens ports in Windows' firewall for uTorrent (you have to approve this change the first time uTorrent is run, if you didn't it won't work).

xavier242
Old 2022-10-29, 09:46 PM
1.13 TB/251.91 GB/0.22

Trust me, I understand how the ratio works. And I've been doing it long enough to remember when ratios actually meant more. With broadband it's not as vital, it's more for me to feel that I'm sharing not taking. And maybe that puts me in a minority but I believe in being fair solely for my own reasons.

My problem with Lossless Legs is that you can't seed there. You have to have permission. Nothing's perfect. Request button there is nice but being able to upload freely here is nice too. Combine them and you're getting to a more perfect union, so's to speak.

Roman
Old 2022-10-31, 01:06 PM
1.13 TB/251.91 GB/0.22

Okay xavier242, I just spent the better part of 3 hours just to change the port in utorrent (easy) and then forward that port with xfinity (dumpster fire-style nightmare). Logging into the router (10.0.0.1) no longer allows port forwarding instead sending you to xfinity which was part of how I did it a couple months ago. Now you have to download their cell phone app (it's the third one you install, of course) to finally forward the port.

Anyway, that's done. Now can you tell me why I keep getting the warning:
"Failure: Connection limit exceeded! You may only download 3 shows at a time."

I have two torrents downloading and I know the world is flat now but did math change too? Is two more than three now? And why am I getting this same warning on a Seger torrent I completed four days ago?

I have 16 Trader's Den torrents open right now. Is that too many? Is there somewhere I can find the limits? I know Lossless Legs limits how many torrents I can run simultaneously but I don't believe I've ever had this issue with TTD. Or maybe I've never had this many open at once before. I like to keep seeding for awhile, up to a couple months if I can but most of the torrents die out after a couple days. And I'm not constantly connected because I'm using a friend's internet while I'm working at his house.

Well, here's ho-ho-hoping this last issue can be resolved too. If it's on my end tell me what to do, how to limit my connections or whatever. I did turn off all my TTD torrents and the warning went away from the Seger show so maybe I am hitting up against the connection limit. It's still there on the one download though but not the other (and that's been happening for days now).

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing, I'm a little frustrated right now (thanks comcast) but I do appreciate everyone's work that has grown my music collection to what it is today.

Roman
Old 2022-11-05, 11:59 AM
209.77 GB/510.67 GB/2.43

Recently joined the club of being firewalled on TTD which is false positive. Only one torrent currently active which is the Bono NY one. Restarting it did not help.

I have never been firewalled, I have been using the same BT client like I used to, random ports on startup, that are NOT blocked or whatever. Same computer, same router, nothing changed.
I am taping for myself first. I edit my recordings so they are listenable and you tell vocals from drums. I don't waste time finding a sweet spot, I enjoy the gig. Take it or leave it. But I get it: I am not living up to your standards and will not share any other recording here.
Old 2022-11-08, 04:15 PM
1.09 TB/1.63 TB/1.50

Same here canyouseeme.org is good. stopped torrents for several days and restarted still shows firewalled. Not firewalled on every other site.
Old 2022-11-11, 05:25 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Anyway, that's done. Now can you tell me why I keep getting the warning:
"Failure: Connection limit exceeded! You may only download 3 shows at a time."
It's code in the ratio enforcement that's causing that... the staff had a discussion about ratio enforcement and we decided to table the issue.

Then I realized the main cause of so few seeders is the lack of a program to link past (now renamed) downloads with the original torrent file. I'm writing a program that will resolve this. It's going to be free for TTD users. It may not be done for several more months as I have several high priority projects ahead of it, including moving TTD to a new host and server.

I'll see if I can hack the database to give you a ratio that stops the errors.

Edit: Nowhere obvious is a user's uploaded and downloaded amounts stored. I emailed U2Lynne to see if she knows.

xavier242

Last edited by xavier242; 2022-11-11 at 07:05 PM. Reason: hmmm...
Old 2022-11-11, 05:43 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Most of you are not aware, but U2Lynne transferred the TTD domain name to me on like Sept 30. The has had the effect of locking us into our current provider for 60 days (domain transfer rules).

At the end of this month, I hope to move TTD to a newer server at a different hosting provider with MLC SSDs and dump Cloudflare. It has a 4 GHz Xeon CPU and up to 128GB RAM. The server is vastly faster than what we currently have (same cost, go figure).

Also, our new seeders found via Reddit Datahoarder forum should be online by the end of November. They'll be seeding over 50TB worth of gigs. I showed them how to find the poorly seeded gigs and focus on them.

xavier242
Old 2022-11-19, 09:35 AM
1.13 TB/251.91 GB/0.22

I haven't been online for a couple weeks. Thanks for your reply xavier242. And thanks for the possible ratio hack.

For the two guys who are having firewall issues, whatever I did is still working. I'm still not showing the false positive anymore. You can go back and read our conversation and I hope it helps you too. I do not have mine set to random though. It was enough of a pain in the ass to get one port through comcast's crap.

I hope it helps because I know how frustrating it can be.

And thanks again for all the help I've gotten here,
Roman
Old 2022-11-19, 11:15 AM
1.31 TB/5.71 TB/4.34

Quote:
I haven't been online for a couple weeks. Thanks for your reply xavier242. And thanks for the possible ratio hack.

For the two guys who are having firewall issues, whatever I did is still working. I'm still not showing the false positive anymore. You can go back and read our conversation and I hope it helps you too. I do not have mine set to random though. It was enough of a pain in the ass to get one port through comcast's crap.

I hope it helps because I know how frustrating it can be.

And thanks again for all the help I've gotten here,
Roman
I wonder if my problem will disappear December 1.
Old 2022-11-30, 07:38 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jazz View Post
I wonder if my problem will disappear December 1.
Heh. See this thread:
Firewalled workarounds- OVPN $5/month and others
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=184533
Old 2022-12-01, 08:33 AM
1.31 TB/5.71 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier242 View Post
Heh. See this thread:
Firewalled workarounds- OVPN $5/month and others
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=184533

Please correct me if I am missing something: the current workaround is in that thread?
Old 2022-12-01, 03:48 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jazz View Post
Please correct me if I am missing something: the current workaround is in that thread?
Yes, take a look.

My best guess is that some ISPs are blocking some torrent traffic. There may be an unpublished mod to the bittorrent protocol that some sites are using to bypass blockades. No tracker developer talks about the issue publically.

That more folks here are having issues since Cloudflare was turned on I now think was a coincidence. Proof: I have run the site from 3am to 7am several times with Cloudflare turned off. In no case did the firewalled status for anyone change.
Old 2022-12-01, 05:10 PM
4.35 TB/150.49 TB/34.59

The problem arose right at that very exact time for so many and has never remedied. Clodflare, as I noted at the time, has a history of this sort of misery. Coincidental ISP conspiracy focused solely on The Trader's Den and no other torrent site whatsoever? Or, in my case, a conspiracy beyond ISPs too?

If it was not clodflare or an unintended consequence of administering clodflare, then it was something else done at that chaotic time. Occam's Razor man. One site making a change, or a multitude of disparate ISPs and other providers around the globe concertedly working to ream one torrent site and no others at the very time that site was slinging code and add ons about?

Appreciate the work more than can quickly say, but this beggars belief to say the least. Already have a monthly VPN nut--and umpteen other monthly digital prophylactic nuts--and not going to assume another for one site, where about half the daily uploads are reseeds within a day or two from a couple three other longstanding popular sources that don't have firewall issues, but thank you just the same for discovering a workaround. Beats the alternative and hope is helpful for others.

Last edited by Bruschi; 2022-12-01 at 05:38 PM.
Old 2022-12-02, 08:51 AM
1.09 TB/1.63 TB/1.50

When will the new server be operational?
Old 2022-12-02, 04:02 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njones View Post
When will the new server be operational?
That has been postponed. I don't want to get into the reasons why. Just know what's happened behind the scenes is complex.
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble