The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-09, 07:40 AM
13.33 GB/16.62 GB/1.25

HDTV Seeding Issues

Hello all,

I frequently capture music related HDTV broadcasts as direct digital captures. These are in their native .ts form and have a resolution of 1920x1080 60i or 1280x720 60p. According to the seeding guidlines I would have to reencode these to DVD MPEG-2 and lose a lot of quality to seed them here. This doesn't seem to jive with the preserving the quality for archival purpose theme. Any input? Could we start allowing transport streams for hi-def as the video equivalent of 24/96?

peace, chris
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-09, 08:00 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: HDTV Seeding Issues

sounds good in theory, of course not alot of people actually have TV's which can handle that resolution...then again, anyone who received the show could always convert to DVD 16:9 for viewing... lets see what Lynne and Five think.
Old 2005-07-10, 05:59 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_TAPER
Hello all,

I frequently capture music related HDTV broadcasts as direct digital captures. These are in their native .ts form and have a resolution of 1920x1080 60i or 1280x720 60p. According to the seeding guidlines I would have to reencode these to DVD MPEG-2 and lose a lot of quality to seed them here. This doesn't seem to jive with the preserving the quality for archival purpose theme. Any input? Could we start allowing transport streams for hi-def as the video equivalent of 24/96?

peace, chris
I agree, and would eagerly download any HDTV captures seeded here.

The analogy with 24/96 audio is a good one - not everyone has hardware capable of playing that resolution audio, but they can always convert to a lower resolution until such time as they do.
Old 2005-07-10, 06:45 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

well this is a new one... you want to break the TTD seeding rules to offer something of even higher quality? I don't really see a problem with that other than there's maybe only three ppl here who would know what to do with it and you'll have a 7-page thread of ppl asking "how do I play this?" I could be wrong, maybe lots of ppl will love it and understand exactly what it is and how to play it.

I got a old video card from my roommate and I tried ripping a VHS tape I have with virtualdub. The maximum framesize I could get was 320x240. I captured the audio in wav and the video in Huffyuv lossless which cuts the size in half. The resulting raw avi from that was 20 GB. At 720x480 I guess that would be around 39-40 GB. Maybe I could zip or rar that and bring it down to 30 GB and seed that. Now that's lossless as it gets from VHS. I don't know if anybody would really want these monster files... I crunched it down to a 1.5 GB xvid .avi and decided that next time I do something like this I'll have to get a better capture card and try making a DVD.

Anyhow, if you want to seed HDTV in the native .ts format I'll vote to allow it here just to see what happens.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-10, 08:42 PM
13.33 GB/16.62 GB/1.25

I'm uploading a HDTV test file from Wilco at ACL it's 1280x720 60 frams/second progressive. It's a 60mb test file just about a minute and a half long.

Give it a look.

HDTV 720p TEST File Download
Old 2005-07-10, 08:52 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

I would love to chirp in here. I am very familiar with VA_TAPERS HD seeds. He did this for the Phish IT special on PBS and seeded it to STG (I believe?) or EZT or both. I have also downloaded other HD stuff he has seeded, and it is always very welcome.

As far as people being able to play it, it would have to be played on a computer. It should still be easy to tell how much better quality they are getting. Those lucky enough to have a HTPC hooked up to a High Def set will already know what to do with it.

If nothing else, people could have the ability to archive the files on a hard drive or break them up to archive as data DVDs until the time comes they can use them.

I have a 250GB hard drive just about full of HD stuff I've been pulling off the newsgroups. I would love to add more music related stuff.

VA_TAPER,

Any chance you got that True Music on HDNET this month with Umphrey's?
Old 2005-07-10, 09:44 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i don't have to d/l the test, i know i'd rather have a HD feed compared to mpeg2...don't have the HD set yet, but we all will before long...

you do know that there *will* be a flood of "how do i convert this to something i can watch" posts tho...i'd pre-type the answers before ya seed
Old 2005-07-10, 10:36 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

No conversion. Download Media Player Classic for free (google) and just play it on a PC.

The 1080i seeds will be too high of resolution for most computers, but MPC will scale it down to fit the screen size.
Old 2005-07-11, 01:58 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bust
VA_TAPER,

Any chance you got that True Music on HDNET this month with Umphrey's?
OMG yes seconded
Old 2005-07-11, 03:24 PM
345.52 GB/460.50 GB/1.33

That wilco clip looks great. Anything HD you seed around here will be greatly appreciated by me.
Old 2005-07-12, 05:42 PM
59.02 GB/27.58 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_TAPER
I'm uploading a HDTV test file from Wilco at ACL it's 1280x720 60 frams/second progressive. It's a 60mb test file just about a minute and a half long.

Give it a look.

HDTV 720p TEST File Download
GREAT !!!
This test clip is VERY good.
Hope to see HD torrents in the future

Last edited by sfligio; 2005-07-12 at 05:47 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble