The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-03-11, 04:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: The "It's broken, please fix it" thread...

Try stopping the two Budgie shows since there are no leechers on them. Then you will only have 5 shows open, so you should not get that connection limit error. The Page and Plant one is a good one to upload to since everyone else is firewalled except you, which means you will be the only uploader. If you try to seed too many shows, the limits your upload speed and sometimes leechers clients will skip over you because your upload speed is slower than other seeders.

Make sure if you have both bittorrent and Azureus open that you are using different ports for each of them and that you do not have the same shows open in both clients, especially the show you are downloading.

** Forget about that Page/Plant comment, I must have looked up the wrong show when seeing what shows you were on.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-11, 04:02 PM
128.94 GB/128.06 GB/0.99

Yes I am trying to torrent the same show from 2 clients as BitTorrent had taken 10 days to get to 40 per cent. They seemed to be helping each other along earlier today!!

I had not tried the Azureus client but it seems much more informative about what is happening. I will stop using the BitTorrent client. Do I have to do anything to put things back as they should be?

So if no one is currently taking the shows I have on my hard drive 0 uploads. Makes sense! Some one is currently taking the Sabbath show.

So if I move to just the one client, I would choose Azureus, can I make the downloads I have completed available to others via that client and if so how?
Old 2007-03-11, 04:10 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The problem with trying to download the same show from two different clients is that you download shows in 'chunks'. A chunk comes in various sizes depending on what the torrent maker selects. So, if a chunk is 12 units big, then you don't get 'credit' for the chunk until you get all 12 of those units. Since your bittorrent clients don't talk to each other, they could both be working on the same chunk. And, one could overwrite what is going on with the other. It can cause real big problems. If all you are doing is uploading, it won't cause so many problems since you aren't writing to your hard drive. I would pick one bittorrent client to have open at a time.

To add, you noticed how you went down in % completion when you changed bittorrent clients. That is because usually the client won't write to the drive until that chunk is complete. So, you may have had 40% complete, but it could have all been in unwriten chunks. Thus, you stopped and then switched clients and only got credit for what was writen to your harddrive.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-11, 04:41 PM
128.94 GB/128.06 GB/0.99

OK I think I get it. Thanks for the help/advice U2Lyyne.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions