The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-01, 11:10 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

strange recording issues (fm>pc)

so I'm trying to record FM>PC, and I've noticed a few things.

a. the levels seem to be set extremely high, no matter what I do. the only way to combat this is to set the line in REALLY low, thus bumping my noise/hiss levels all to hell
b. the waveform is clipped off. It actually is happening in the upper channel as well, at a higher db level (around .8)

pic:

The setup is:
Boombox > Headphone out > 1/8th to RCA > RCA to 1/8th > PC

I've tested each component out, and the only thing that could be wrong is my soundcard...

Previous I got clean transfers with this exact same setup, but on playback with tape.

Is it something with levels in the volume panel? program settings? I get the same issue with both Audacity and CD Wave
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-01, 11:10 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Re: strange recording issues (fm>pc)

i know its a total ass setup, but its just to record some local bands that nobody else will ever tape
Old 2007-04-02, 08:26 AM
JimiFan
211.28 GB/76.88 GB/0.36

Hello, I am relatively new to the site and recently obtained a large quantity of discs from a trader, however, I do not know how to convert from "Winamp media file" to a "Wave" file so I can listen to my music on my standard cd player. I have Winamp (standard) and would welcome suggestions. Appreciate your help
Old 2007-04-03, 05:44 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinowing
so I'm trying to record FM>PC, and I've noticed a few things.

a. the levels seem to be set extremely high, no matter what I do. the only way to combat this is to set the line in REALLY low, thus bumping my noise/hiss levels all to hell
b. the waveform is clipped off. It actually is happening in the upper channel as well, at a higher db level (around .8)

pic:

The setup is:
Boombox > Headphone out > 1/8th to RCA > RCA to 1/8th > PC

I've tested each component out, and the only thing that could be wrong is my soundcard...

Previous I got clean transfers with this exact same setup, but on playback with tape.

Is it something with levels in the volume panel? program settings? I get the same issue with both Audacity and CD Wave
check the levels for the soundcard...also make sure yer going into the line-in jack on the PC, and not the Mic-in...

but if you've made clean transfers with the setup before and both the above are fine, theres a good chance yer having soundcard issues...
Old 2007-04-03, 05:50 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Day
Hello, I am relatively new to the site and recently obtained a large quantity of discs from a trader, however, I do not know how to convert from "Winamp media file" to a "Wave" file so I can listen to my music on my standard cd player. I have Winamp (standard) and would welcome suggestions. Appreciate your help
just a fwiw, but usually itds best to start yer own thread and no post a random question in someone else's thread...just a heads up

to answer yer ? -- most everything you need to know is covered in the FAQ: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?

what yer asking is how to take the lossless files [flac, shn, etc] and decode to wav for burning to CDR? download the prog Trader's Little Helper and use it to decode the flac/shn files to wav...to listen to lossless file on yer comp, try foobar2000

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble