The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-24, 11:35 AM
El Gringo Mas Escandoloso
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

Need various audio, torrent, burning tools for Mac

So I got a Mac a little while ago and have had trouble finding audio programs for torrents and all of that. I tried searching here on TTD but didn't find anything.

I have Toast for burning and that seems to work well.

Toast can burn FLAC files but not SHN. Is there a program for converting SHN to WAV. What about APE to WAV?

Also, is there a program like Trader's Little Helper for Mac?

Also, I would really like a program like EAC that will do exact audio copies. I've had trouble finding that, even through Google, and I hoped that someone here knew.

I don't do any audio editing or anything like that so I don't need Audition etc.

Basically, for Mac users, what's in your arsenal of audio and torrent-related programs?

Also, I'd prefer free programs thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-24, 11:42 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Need various audio, torrent, burning tools for Mac

Have you checked our Software FAQ? http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...m#faq_software

You will want xACT to convert all your files to wav (or aiff).

Also in xACT, go to the util tab, drag all your files from the CD into the window, select CD Extraction and it will extract all your files. A window pops up after it is done extracting and I copy those 'results' and paste them into a file that I call "something.log". Look through the file to make sure everything turned out well.

Feel free to ask any other Mac questions. There are also a few Mac threads in this forum which you may want to look at - just search this forum for "mac" and you will get a lot of good threads.

Old 2007-09-24, 04:09 PM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

thanks U2Lynne. I had searched for Mac here on the forums but didn't find much. Thanks for the FAQ link though, that should help.

It looks like TTD's FAQ mentions Azureus as the best client? I used it with PC and liked it, even though it was a resource hog, but on the Mac version there's that whole Zune player thing which I hate...makes it run slow and annoying for me. Maybe I can find an old version of Azureus.

I may try Bit Conjurer though. I am currently using Transmission, and while it works well for me in terms of d/l and u/l speeds, I don't like the interface much though. We'll see with Bit Conjurer.
Old 2007-09-25, 11:25 PM
37.67 GB/50.21 GB/1.33

xACT is a good one. I really like Max (http://sbooth.org/Max/). It's free, well supported, nice forum. I used to use Switch but had to abandon it last year b/c it wouldn't work well with 10.4. If you get into doing capturing, Audio Hijack Pro is great. Not free, but great program.
Old 2007-09-26, 09:54 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

you can certainly burn SHN with toast.....
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2007-09-26, 10:06 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheatherc
you can certainly burn SHN with toast.....
I think when he said you can burn flac that he meant you can burn an audio CD from the flac files - Toast will convert them on the fly. Will Toast now do this with shn files? I'll admit I haven't burned an actual audio CD in a long time.

Old 2007-09-26, 05:43 PM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

^you are correct U2Lynne. With FLAC, you just add them to Toast and it burns it no problem. With SHN it does not do that (even with Nero, you needed a plug-in for FLACS and another one for SHN I believe). So yes, you do have to convert to WAV.

iamb, thanks for the suggestion to use Max. I will d/l that and try that and the others to see which one I like best.
Old 2007-09-26, 06:03 PM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

sorry I misunderstood

It will not convert SHN on the fly but it will burn a SHN file for archival purposes...
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble