The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-01-16, 11:48 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Trader's Little Helper

are you the Tuttle from Orlando?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-01-16, 12:50 PM
Tuttle
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Nope SF, CA
Old 2007-01-17, 10:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: TRADER'S LITTLE HELPER ERROR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle

skipping unknown sub-chunk 'PAD'.

- What does it mean?

My flac files play fine. Is this negligible?
Skipping sub-chunk header data is not an error but Trader's Little Helper in some cases do report an error and stop processing . This is annoying but you have to wait for the fixed next release ...

Robert
Old 2007-02-21, 06:13 PM
Michael Kalhoun
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thank you for allow us little guys access to your program. If not for the kindness of all the tapers, programmers and those who sacrifice personal time to run these torrent sites, none of this would be possible. Thank you.
Old 2007-02-21, 10:28 PM
636.57 GB/512.32 GB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
BTW, Trader's Little Helper comes with an user manual.
When I click on User Manual I get this error: Could not open project 'C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\tralih.chm".

I have tried uninstalling a couple times and reinstalling. Still the same error. Any thoughts? I'm trying to figure out how to run a 'len' check on the fileset.
Old 2007-02-24, 08:09 PM
513.41 GB/390.56 GB/0.76

Re: Trader's Little Helper - SHN Decode problem

TLH is a great program but I'm having problems with its ".shn" format decoding process.

Whenever I go to decode an .shn file TLH is coming back with a "file is possibly truncated or corrupt" message but, when I then use mkw Audio Compression Tool to decode to wave, everything works out fine - I end with a perfect .wav file.

Anyone else have this problem or a possible fix/work around ?

Thanks in advance - Jeremy
Old 2007-02-26, 01:52 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeremy
TLH is a great program but I'm having problems with its ".shn" format decoding process.

Whenever I go to decode an .shn file TLH is coming back with a "file is possibly truncated or corrupt" message but, when I then use mkw Audio Compression Tool to decode to wave, everything works out fine - I end with a perfect .wav file.

Anyone else have this problem or a possible fix/work around ?

Thanks in advance - Jeremy
Most likely you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of one of your shn files. Is there a "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error message?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. This "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update function). Until now there is *no* workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will *not* help at all! The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ...

If you're not getting the error message described above please contact me via email.

Robert
Old 2007-03-30, 03:06 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

roann still rules
Old 2007-04-04, 10:29 PM
Rez Ipsa Loquitor
264.10 GB/182.93 GB/0.69

amazing job, thank you, goodbye Audio Converter Studio (from FLAC to WAV for personal CDs)
Old 2007-04-07, 11:31 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

I generally just use this to creat md5's on my dvd uploads, and I never had any trouble...although it has many more uses, that is the only thing I really rely on it for...and it KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!

been usin it awhile and never thought to thank the guy that made it, cause it was so old I figured it wouldn't matter...but better late than never...this thing is easy as pie...if you can't make an md5 with TLH then you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer...thanx for the program friend
Old 2007-04-09, 12:15 PM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/634.75 GB/0.82

Hi,

I've been using TLH for years without a problem. But I recently bought a new PC, and when I installed TLH on it (version 1.1.1 build 90), the program had continuous crashes (mostly "list index out of bounds" error messages). Tried to reinstall, but that didn't help. Tried some more stuff to resolve it, didn't help either.
Just now I replaced the file shntool.exe in my Windows folder by the most recent version (3.0.2) I found at http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/ and this seems to have solved the crashes. Before replacing I tried to see what version the old file was, but couldn't tell from the properties window.
The only thing that does happen now is what ozjeremy already described a few posts above me: when extracting shn files theres an error message saying:
d1Track01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt.
It seems to have gone well though, the wav file did get generated and seems to be playing well. Also, the file details of this same shn file are generated without a problem.
Winamp doesn't want to play shn files anymore though either, even after reinstalling the shnAmp plugin. But I have way more flac files than shn, so I don't care that much about these remaining issues. Since now I can use TLH again without crashing. Decoding flacs and all other features seem to go well now.
Old 2007-04-11, 06:59 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Icon4 Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunic
Hi,

I've been using TLH for years without a problem. But I recently bought a new PC, and when I installed TLH on it (version 1.1.1 build 90), the program had continuous crashes (mostly "list index out of bounds" error messages). Tried to reinstall, but that didn't help. Tried some more stuff to resolve it, didn't help either.
Just now I replaced the file shntool.exe in my Windows folder by the most recent version (3.0.2) I found at http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/ and this seems to have solved the crashes. Before replacing I tried to see what version the old file was, but couldn't tell from the properties window.
The only thing that does happen now is what ozjeremy already described a few posts above me: when extracting shn files theres an error message saying:
d1Track01.shn: file is possibly truncated or corrupt.
It seems to have gone well though, the wav file did get generated and seems to be playing well. Also, the file details of this same shn file are generated without a problem.
Winamp doesn't want to play shn files anymore though either, even after reinstalling the shnAmp plugin. But I have way more flac files than shn, so I don't care that much about these remaining issues. Since now I can use TLH again without crashing. Decoding flacs and all other features seem to go well now.
Do not use Trader's Little Helper with the new versions of shntool (3.0.2) or flac (1.1.4). Use shntool v2.0.3 and flac v1.1.2 that come with the installer of TLH.

The new flac.exe wasn't very much tested by me yet, so TLH might work with it free from errors. But you will be in serious trouble if you use shntool v3.x.x, for example:

- TLH will always report that there are no sector boundary errors.
- Creating/verifying shntool md5 fingerprint files (.st5) will fail.
- Verifying flac fingerprint files in "full verify" mode will fail.
- Decoding/testing shn files may not work properly.
- In general some file and/or process errors may not be detected, logged process results may be wrong.

All this is caused by a in parts somewhat different output of shntool (that TLH has to analyse), and shntool commands that have been changed. At the moment I am re-writing core parts of TLH to work with those new releases but it will take some time.

It would be great if some experienced folks could do some heavy beta testing over the next about three months. Please send me an empty email with the subject TLH 2 beta if you are interested. But be warned: TLH 1.x.x and TLH 2.x.x can not co-exist on the same system without serious problems. So if you want to do beta testing you have to use a second (real or virtual) Windows OS that you don't use for your daily work with TLH. All first beta releases will be incomplete: you'll get all that was re-done and testet by me. On a regular basis (about 10-14 days) the next part will be ready and a less incomplete release will be available via the new build-in update function.

Robert
Old 2007-04-11, 04:07 PM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/634.75 GB/0.82

thanks for the reply. I'll uninstall TLH (including shntool) for the time being, as it's not working for me properly right now anyways. Email is coming your way... Trust me, I'm a pro or at least I get paid for it
Old 2007-04-13, 08:57 AM
appalachianamerican
1.26 TB/2.77 TB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
Most likely you're having a problem with your OS. Please run a test: use TLH to show the file details of one of your shn files. Is there a "... fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory" error ..." error message?

If yes Windows OS (WinXP SP2) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. This "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update function). Until now there is *no* workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal", even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will *not* help at all! The only thing that does help is a complete new WinXP installation ...

If you're not getting the error message described above please contact me via email.

Robert
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: png TLH 01.png
( 61.1 KB, 159 views)

Old 2007-04-13, 10:50 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper - SHN Decode problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog
Like this?
No, not like this. It's a long and well known error caused by a timing problem with a Windows DLL. It only occurs occasionally on the "Audio file details" and "Fix SBEs" tabs. Sometimes it helps to exit and re-run TLH ...

I think the RICHED20.DLL problem will be history with the next release of TLH (btw I'm still looking for beta testers, details see me last post before this one).

Robert

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper