The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-06-13, 11:05 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: MP3

I need to run some compression on these posts!
Old 2008-06-13, 11:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

werd scratchie, sounds like we pretty much agree

i personally won't tape a band that doesn't allow it--but i don't run stealth rigs, strictly open taping...hell i've actually erased a show at the end of the set cuz the artist asked me to...but sure, i've got shows in the collection by bands that don't like tapers [f*ck you Danzig! ]

as for TTD, i understand yer points re: bands that don't allow taping...however, i will say that we will prohibit the trading/torrenting of any band, no matter how popular or unknown, if they contact us and ask that their shows be removed...simple as that
Old 2008-06-13, 11:11 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I need to run some compression on these posts!
Old 2008-06-13, 11:32 AM
894.51 GB/3.48 TB/3.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
werd scratchie, sounds like we pretty much agree
Yeah, I think you're right. I think it's very cool that you choose not to stealth tape, but we both know that even if one of our favorite bands forbids taping, when a bootleg pops up, we're all over it (for me it's King Crimson).

Also, I know TTD's (and Dime's) policy regarding prohibited artists, but there's a slight difference between asking people not to tape your shows and sending a formal take-down request to every torrent tracker that includes them. To get back to the MP3 analogy, that would be like saying "I won't share this show as MP3 if the original taper contacts me personally and asks me not to." That's a whole different standard than simply respecting the taper's publicly-stated wishes.

Or, to put it another way, if the only concerts allowed on this tracker were audience recordings of shows where open taping was allowed, let's just say that the torrent list would be a little bit shorter.

Anyway, peace out, I've got to get back to work, but it was good yakking with you, AAR.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-06-15, 01:22 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
People are stupid. I donīt know if itīs as hard as in Germany in other countries to tell people that MP3s are kind of retarded...what they canīt hear with their own ears, that does not exist. When I make a note on fan-forums and stuff that I have recorded this or that show, the first question always is: Could you upload the MP3s on Rapidshare?
its the same in Canada. music+computer=mp3 to mostly everybody. when I mention lossless (i.e. non-mp3) to mostly anybody they seems as tho they never realized in their life that mp3 was any different from wav. that or else they believe there is a 2% or so quality loss.

as for the online community, without etree (the mother of all sites like this) the trading pool would be 90% mp3 (the other 10% would be phish and GD shows).

when its most harmful to the trading pool is when somebody transfers a unique recording and shares it as mp3 then figures they're done with it, put the master tape back in the bottom of some box in their basement. then all you can get is mp3, because that's all there is.

I'll merge this with the catch-all "mp3" discussion stickied in technobabble in the next couple days. we have the same discussion every three months for years on end.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-06-15, 01:10 PM
122.57 GB/16.44 GB/0.13

Well, I for one have an ipod. It doesn't support .flac, and even if it did, i can fit ~6 times more music on there if i convert the flac to mp3. However, i won't post any of these self-converted shows anywhere myself, and i still keep the flac files. If i share any of these with close friends, it will be audio cds burnt using the flac files.
But then, asking people not to convert your flac files into mp3 (or other lossy formats for that matter) is getting into territory similar to the big record companies insisting on DRM on their cds and digital music. Why should you have any say in what i do with files i get here? You can tell me what to do only in regards to the actual downloading - and this only because you run the tracker the torrents use. If you enforced a ratio, that would be fair enough, but telling me not to convert to mp3? So what, i download all this excellent live music but then i can only listen to it if i act like an audiophile?
Incidentally, i know my ratio is bad but i'm about to post here asking for specific advice regarding that fact.
Old 2008-06-15, 04:23 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

rockbox.org

Quote:
Old 2008-06-16, 01:38 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadester48 View Post
Why should you have any say in what i do with files i get here? You can tell me what to do only in regards to the actual downloading - and this only because you run the tracker the torrents use. If you enforced a ratio, that would be fair enough, but telling me not to convert to mp3? So what, i download all this excellent live music but then i can only listen to it if i act like an audiophile?
Incidentally, i know my ratio is bad but i'm about to post here asking for specific advice regarding that fact.
no one's telling you not convert to mp3 for your personal player...there asking you not to spread mp3 versions around to other people, and especially not upload or trade lossy versions on other trackers
Old 2008-06-17, 12:53 PM
122.57 GB/16.44 GB/0.13

Re: mp3/lossless question for audiophiles...

Well, as I hope was clear, i have no problem with that.
Old 2008-06-18, 12:48 AM
34.69 GB/55.47 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
The "trading pool" is so much richer and more varied -- by at least a factor of 10, if not 100 -- than at any time in the last 20 years, mp3 proliferation notwithstanding.
I'm sure this is true, in terms of what's available, and I'd incline toward at least 100x, but it's this very growth that creates the grim scenario of a thoroughly "polluted pool" down the line, when it might be impossible to sort out lossless from lossy lineages.

at least, it seemed that way in the early days of broadband. You're right that the lossless community has seemed to thrive within or alongside the larger world of file sharing. But that flourishing may only have been possible because of the determination of sites like this. Hopefully, mp3 will become archaic as storage limits disappear...

then again, I read that some ISPs are now once again considering caps for their home high-speed customers, with fees per GB over monthly limits! so the incentive to stay small might persist.
Old 2008-07-16, 08:42 PM
236.46 GB/133.57 GB/0.56

I listen on decent phones, and absolutely the difference between mp3 and lossless is clear.

I do have a lot of music I've converted over to mp3 either at 256k or 320k, and the higher sample rates are certainly listenable, and much more portable. My essential music is all archived on CD/CD-R, etc..

Shawn
Old 2008-08-10, 10:43 AM
36.43 GB/9.74 GB/0.27

Is there anychance that Rockbox is going to be availabke to work on iPod classics any time soon?
Old 2008-08-10, 03:51 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

maybe a year or two? (guessing)

I read that the latest generation of iPods are totally different inside so the poor rockbox guys have to start from scratch.

Quote:
Old 2008-08-11, 12:59 AM
240.81 GB/539.10 GB/2.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
no one's telling you not convert to mp3 for your personal player...there asking you not to spread mp3 versions around to other people, and especially not upload or trade lossy versions on other trackers
I've actually seen shows saying not to convert to lossy formats for any purpose.
I think that's a ridiculous request and I don't feel compelled to comply, though.
In fact, it's almost ridiculous enough that I feel like converting it to MP3, Ogg, Musepack, AAC, and WMA, and then contacting the taper to tell him/her what I think of the "no mp3" request.
Don't have the disk space or CPU cycles to burn, though.
Old 2008-08-11, 05:56 AM
36.43 GB/9.74 GB/0.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
maybe a year or two? (guessing)

I read that the latest generation of iPods are totally different inside so the poor rockbox guys have to start from scratch.
Ah fair enough, if you have decent earphones with an iPod you can definaely tell the difference but obviously if you use the ones that come in the box theres no point worrying but I got sick of those after about a week

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble