The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-15, 02:21 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Re: What Is A DVD ISO Image?

Yup. I like xACT, for Macs.
Old 2005-07-15, 04:08 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Re: What Is A DVD ISO Image?

I found that the original dvd i got had a md5 check in it so it owuldnt play on a regular dvd player, so i copied the video_ts file to my hard drive, took out the md5, and reburnt it, and it played fine. So I got that worked out. (thanks again for everyone's response)

But now im having problems with a different DVD. It wont read on any computer dvd reader, but it plays fine on a regular dvd player.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-18, 10:46 AM
Quux2112
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Can't get matching md5's on .VOB files

OK, this has got me scratching my head, hopefully somebody here can shed some light on it for me.

So let's assume I download a video in DVD format, and that it comes with an md5 text file. After it's downloaded, all the files always match the md5's in the list.

Now I want to burn them to DVD. What I'd like to do is use imgtool to build an iso file that I can then burn with DVD Decrypter. So I build the iso with imgtool, then to check, I mount the iso with DAEMON tools. The md5's in the mounted version very rarely match. The smaller files always match, but the larger files, VTS_01_1.VOB and up, often don't. Each time through imgtool usually gives different results, and if I spend all night at it, I can eventually get all md5's to match.

A similar thing also happens to me using nothing but DVD Decrypter. I'll start with a working burned disc, and generate md5's for everything in VIDEO_TS. Then I'll make an iso image with Decrypter. Mount that iso with DAEMON Tools, and again, at least 1 of the .VOB's usually doesn't match.

Now, if I do a straight copy of VIDEO_TS from DVD to my hard drive, md5's will match between the two copies, which I suppose is encouraging. But when I take these files and burn them with Nero, guess what, some of the md5's don't match again.

Interestingly, even if I burn one of these "not quite right" iso images to DVD, the end result is completely playable, and I've never noticed a single glitch. However, it's disconcerting and makes me not want to trade anything for fear of poluting the trade pool. The md5's don't lie. Obviously there was some difference between the original and the copy, and that can't really be good.

I've used md5summer and openssl under cygwin to generate/compare my md5's, with the same results.

So does anybody have any idea why this is happening to me? Has anybody experienced anything similar?

I'm running XP on a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 1G RAM. All my drives are NTFS. I can provide more details if needed.
Old 2005-07-18, 11:25 AM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Re: Can't get matching md5's on .VOB files

If you do a quick search for "DVD copying" or something of the like you will find several threads related to this. I am not familiar with some of the iso stuff you are trying to do, but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). This would obviously cause the md5 not to match. I also happen to know that Roxio modifies only .ifo and .bup files, but leaves the VOB's alone. The answer seems to be to select the UDF/ISO option in Nero and apparently this will create a DVD that is not forced to conform to their specific DVD standards, but will still play in most standalones. I can not confirm this, because as you can see in my recent post in this forum, I have just started using Nero and am coastering discs all over the place.

-Phil
Old 2005-07-18, 12:52 PM
Quux2112
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcrazy2005
If you do a quick search for "DVD copying" or something of the like you will find several threads related to this.
I've done this of course, but can't find anything relating to my specific issues.

Quote:
I am not familiar with some of the iso stuff you are trying to do, but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). This would obviously cause the md5 not to match.
Various burning software changing the .IFO's and .BUP's I've found plenty about. Those files always match for me though. And if it were just a case of Nero changing the .VOB's, I could accept that and just not use it. I don't particularly care for Nero, and so use Decrypter for most of my copying. But the fact that the .VOB's in the iso's made by Decrypter fail md5 checks is what worries me. In fact, If I create two different iso images from the same disc, they will likely produce different sets of md5 hashes.

DVD Decrypter is widely used the way I'm using it (create an iso, burn iso to disc), so if anybody's done this and compared md5 checksums afterwards, I'd like to hear what results you got, good or bad. Same goes for imgtool.

quux
Old 2005-07-19, 11:58 AM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Quote:
.. but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). ....-Phil
In DVD Video mode, Nero does NOT change anything and md5 will match the original if you drag and drop VIDEO_TS folder (NOT the files inside it) on to VIDEO_TS folder in nero project. But if you select the files inside the video_ts folder and drop in nero project, then it'll change .ifo/.bup files. I have Nero 6 and I reconfirmed it last night. I have many DVD video's created using nero, using above method and they all match original md5s (including ifo/bup files).
Old 2005-08-06, 07:09 PM
TTD VIP
98.40 GB/174.72 GB/1.78

if your going to require checksums

then sitcky a fucking thread showing how to make them
im trying to upload a DVD and it says they are required and to look in technobabble, well maybe i dont see it but im not on a damn mac and i need to know how to do it for windows
Old 2005-08-06, 07:30 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: if your going to require checksums

Sorry Michael, Five has got something in the works. I forgot that it hasn't been published yet. I wrote something for doing md5s back when I was on STG: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/checksums.html but that one needs to be updated since mkwACT is pretty outdated.

Old 2005-08-06, 07:50 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

let's talk I'll lead you thru the whole thing. are you seeding audio or video? If audio, what format (SHN/FLAC/APE)?

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-08-06, 08:23 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

I use md5summer to make my DVD md5s since it will make them the way I like them, outside the VIDEO_TS folder but will still verify everything inside of it. So if I'm making a DVD of my last public stripping performance and I've named the folder feralicious2005-08-05 it will make the md5 directly inside this folder and include everything inside of it. For me that's usually the VIDEO_TS folder, a txt file and an artwork folder.
Some people make the md5 for just the files inside the VIDEO_TS folder which I find annoying. It means you have to put the md5 inside it in order to verify it. I hate that. Cuz then you can't verify it after you've burned it since you have to burn it with it outside the VIDEO-TS folder.
www.md5summer.org

So...
Just open it up, navigate to the folder of your DVD and click on "create sums"
Choose "select all" and then "add" and then "ok"
Wait a while for it to do its thing
When it's finished it will open up the "save" window, just make sure you save it with the .md5 extension and your good to go!

One thing I usually do when I remember is go in and edit it by right clicking on the md5 and selecting "edit" and take out the md5summer references because if you use a program other than md5summer to verify that text shows up as an error and I find that annoying.

Last edited by feralicious; 2005-08-06 at 08:32 PM.
Old 2005-08-06, 09:19 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Dammit, that should have been "you're good to go". I hate those kinds of mistakes.

Old 2005-08-06, 10:00 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Easiest way is if mkw software is installed.
Right click the folder and select "generate md5 signatures"
~voila~
Old 2005-08-06, 10:08 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
So if I'm making a DVD of my last public stripping performance and I've named the folder feralicious2005-08-05 it will make the md5 directly inside this folder and include everything inside of it.
md5summer sounds like the way to go, then.

Old 2005-08-06, 10:37 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DVD Trading Burning?

i just read you burn a DVD differently when you archive/trade it as to when you burn it to view on your DVD player?

is this so? or did i read something wrong? or what?

thanks, and sorry for the newbie questions
Old 2005-08-06, 10:51 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
Easiest way is if mkw software is installed.
Right click the folder and select "generate md5 signatures"
~voila~
You know, that is a lot easier. I guess I didn't try it for this. I tried TLH and it won't do it the way I like it. Hm... this post is starting to sound like my last date!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble