The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-05-14, 11:52 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcarrie View Post
If you could add an item to the windows context menu that says something along the lines of convert this file with... that would kick ass!
What do you have in mind, an item to call a specific app for the converting procedure (something like " convert with a) TLH, b) FLAC Frontend, c) ...")?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-05-14, 12:57 PM
11.98 GB/1.76 GB/0.15

you could have it say something like convert this file with TLH. then the window opens. Or convert this file to FLAC,MP3, OGG. DB power amp has an awesome file converter.
Old 2009-05-23, 10:19 AM
1.70 TB/1.76 TB/1.04

Trader's little Helper is a godsend. Thank you so much
Old 2009-08-07, 11:16 AM
17.78 GB/20.27 GB/1.14

Ok, I read the first 3 pages and this last page. I am too old to read all this stuff. I did do a search here but there is already conversation about it with previous versions of the program. I need help with current version.

Problem: I decoded from flac to wav no problem except that the wav files have that snap/pop/silence between tracks. So, after reading info from first 3 pages in this thread, I used the fix SBEs and it recoded the files, but (1) there is still a discernable pause/break between tracks, (2) it added a '-fixed' to each track name and I don't want that. So, is there a way to convert from flac to wav and fix the SBE issue properly right then rather than after the fact, if so, how? If not, ok, but how do I do the fix properly so the tracks are seemless? Also, what do I do to not have the '-fixed' at the end of title?

I apologize if this has already been asked or if I've just flat out missed something in the options for decoding, fixing etc. My only excuse is old age and poor sight. :-)

cheers,
stef ~ hasn't messed with bittorts/trading/etc in probably 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
No one is going to insult you for asking a question here....
Old 2009-08-08, 04:54 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealtadawn View Post
... Problem: I decoded from flac to wav no problem except that the wav files have that snap/pop/silence between tracks. So, after reading info from first 3 pages in this thread, I used the fix SBEs and it recoded the files, but (1) there is still a discernable pause/break between tracks, (2) it added a '-fixed' to each track name and I don't want that. So, is there a way to convert from flac to wav and fix the SBE issue properly right then rather than after the fact, if so, how? If not, ok, but how do I do the fix properly so the tracks are seemless? Also, what do I do to not have the '-fixed' at the end of title? ...
1) TLH does not add any snaps/pops/silence when decoding from flac (or any other supported format) to wav. You get exactly the same raw wav data that was used before it was encoded to flac.

2) If the original wav data was not cut on sector boundaries, and if there was no aligning on sector boundaries used when the wav data was encoded, TLH can fix this. But if the source comes with pauses/breaks between tracks that are not caused by SBEs you have to use an audio editor to remove the pauses/breaks.

3) The '-fixed' suffix at the end of file names cannot be automatically removed, you have to do that manually. This is on the to-do-list for the nex release of TLH.

Robert
Old 2009-08-08, 10:06 AM
17.78 GB/20.27 GB/1.14

Ok, thank you for the info, Robert. Realizing my last question was a blonde question. I edited the names manually. Also, I didn't mean to suggest your software was creating those pops and irregular break pts. I meant that was the way the file was when I got it.

So...

1. I converted to wav, fixed SBEs and then went to burn to dics to see how they sounded that way, but...

D1 is 744mb of data and of course my disc is a 700mb disc. It has been a while since I've done this, but that seems odd. The taper split the show into 3 discs. So, is there a chance that somehow during the conversion or fixing of SBEs extra space was added?

Or put another way, how do I test for pauses/breaks between tracks not caused by SBEs? My only guess for fixing the too much data problem is doing some combination of fixing the SBEs but removing any other extra pauses/breaks between tracks. Does that make sense?

I'm sure I am the problem. I can't fix me. But I can be guided in the correct direction. :-)

thanks,
stef

ps meantime, i'll try to get ahold of taper to hear his thoughts and/or what he did.

Quote:
Old 2009-08-08, 07:09 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Is it possable you do NOT have "disk at once" clicked, in your burning program?
Most burning software has an option called "track at once" or "disk at once" Track at once puts 2 second gaps in between the tracks, Disk at once does not.
Thanks Mike
Old 2009-08-09, 12:42 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Nero allows gaps in either mode (TAO, DAO). Nero Express defaults to 0 sec gaps, regular Nero Burning ROM defaults to 2 sec gaps for each compilation and you'll need to change to 0, if using that.
Old 2009-08-09, 08:59 AM
17.78 GB/20.27 GB/1.14

I definitely chose disc at once. I did this trying both the D1 wav files with SBEs fixed and w/o them fixed. Both are basically 744mbs and BurnAware Free would not burn them to disc. I have not heard from the taper. I'm at a loss...

Quote:
Old 2009-08-09, 10:08 AM
17.78 GB/20.27 GB/1.14

I dunno what the heck made the difference since I only rebooted the computer, but I put the tracks for d1 in BurnAware Free, they came to 742mb and burned to disc just fine with no gaps between songs.

*bangs head against desk*

Quote:
Old 2009-09-28, 02:00 PM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

I just noticed .sfv, simple file verifaction. What is this?
Old 2009-09-28, 05:36 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
I just noticed .sfv, simple file verifaction. What is this?
It's a checksum file format. Details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_file_verification.
Old 2009-09-30, 03:45 PM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

Next step is to add a wave splitter to track audio CD option and rename the thing tapers little helper!
Old 2009-09-30, 10:19 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealtadawn View Post
I dunno what the heck made the difference since I only rebooted the computer, but I put the tracks for d1 in BurnAware Free, they came to 742mb and burned to disc just fine with no gaps between songs.

*bangs head against desk*
the reason you can put 742 MB of wav files on a 700 MB audio CD is because the wavs are converted to cda format on the fly by your burning program before they are burned. cda contains all the audio data, but less recovery info than wav files, so a cda file will always be smaller than a wav file of the same length of time. hence why your music is safer in the long run on data discs (not audio), and in FLAC.

80 minutes of wav data will fit on a 700 MB audio CD in cda, even though in wav format that's about 800 MB.
Old 2009-10-28, 09:17 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.58

Any issues with Windows 7?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper