The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-21, 01:54 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Best software for archiving flac/shn files onto dvd?

Is there any freeware I can download that will do the job? Can't seem to find the right program. If I have to buy software I will, but I find most every task has a legally downloadable freeware program for it.
I use XP at the moment.
Thanks!
Old 2007-11-21, 02:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Best software for archiving flac/shn files onto dvd?

When you archive flacs/shns/apes to DVD, you are simply burning a data disc. It's just like burning a Word Document or a bunch of pictures to a DVD, only these are flac/shn. So, whatever program you use to burn documents and pictures to a DVD is fine to burn flacs/shns. Usually the operating system comes with a built-in data burning program (I think they do... macs do, and my kids PCs did).

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-21, 02:22 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

yeah use nero or whatever with verify enabled for burning data dvds/cdrs. if anybody knows of a free software burning program please let us know.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-11-21, 02:50 PM
welcome to the water ball
218.15 GB/255.13 GB/1.17

Thanks, but I use an old Pinnacle program for writing dvds, best compression I've found yet, almost seamless...but it doesn't want to backup flacs for me!
So I'm still wondering about some freeware. Anyone? And can I/should I backup flac and shn files on the same discs, or on devoted discs? I'm guessing it makes no diff, but am not sure.
Thanks!
Old 2007-11-21, 03:09 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstyle
Thanks, but I use an old Pinnacle program for writing dvds, best compression I've found yet, almost seamless...but it doesn't want to backup flacs for me!
So I'm still wondering about some freeware. Anyone? And can I/should I backup flac and shn files on the same discs, or on devoted discs? I'm guessing it makes no diff, but am not sure.
Thanks!
www.deepburner.com ftw

to answer your question, it doesn't make any difference. its all up to your personal preference
Old 2007-11-21, 03:22 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
if anybody knows of a free software burning program please let us know.
a bit crazy way of burning (files>ISO>disc) but great prog: http://www.imgburn.com
instruction is here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...06&postcount=7
Old 2007-11-21, 05:59 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstyle
Thanks!
yeah, pinnacle dvd authoring software is for authoring video projects to dvd...you just need a burning program, like Roxio/Nero/etcetc...

when werking a PC, i use ONES to burn discs with [used Nero before that, both cost $ tho]...never tried the method pawel recommended above, but its free...and as long as yer checksums verify after burning, all is fine
Old 2007-11-22, 05:21 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Icon4 Re: Best software for archiving flac/shn files onto dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
and as long as yer checksums verify after burning, all is fine
I wrote it a few times, but let me repeat: problem with checksum for a DVD disc, exactly for *.ifo and *.bup files, is NOT caused by a burning program but incorrect authoring, and also by some standalones. These files require to have specific size, built-in information/structure to comply with the DVD standard. If you get an error / a burning program changes them (i.e. Nero, but it is possible to skip the process) it means that they were wrong and have been corrected. Nothing is altered with regard to video and audio stream!

I understand that people want to trust in and have exact md5 but in other hand it should not be a blind religion but a bit of understanding of the DVD specification.

BTW: ImageBurn copies exactly what you have on HD/DVD/CD disc so no way to change md5.
Old 2007-11-23, 06:42 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i hate to tell ya pawel, but thats not entirely true [not all the time atleast]...some burning progs *think* the structure files are incorrect when they are in fact not...i have seen this a few times with professionally authored DVDs which i know for a fact were not "improperly authored"...but Nero or whatever prog wanted to change them to what it has been programmed to think is correct [when the same file set was burned with a different software, that software did not see the ifo or bup files as needing fixing]

i can't be fer sure, but i believe its sometimes caused by conflicts with the OS/prog package the discs were authored with [unfortunately i don't have the time to test that theory out]

but you are correct in the fact the video/audio content has not been changed...the most important part is that when the checksum is run, all of the .vob files check out fine...however many collectors want the orig file set without changed ifo/bup, others don't care -- every collector is different
Old 2007-11-23, 06:58 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

AAR.oner, if a DVD has menu and chapters it doesn't mean it is professionally authored. I'm not sure which (old) programs write incorrectly *.ifo/bup files but these created in Architect, DVD Studio Pro, DLP, Maestro, TDA are always correct. Other tools are just for fun, and not professional authoring. Adobe Encore could be a pro tool but it's full of bugs and re-encodes some streams without any user control, so it's a crap.
Old 2007-11-23, 07:18 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yes, i understand all that [i work in film ]...and i have seen Nero try to change the ifo/bup's on a DVD authored using the latest DVDSP package...dunno why, but it did...but enough hijaking this thread with tech-speak

Kstyle -- if yer only wanting a free program, i'd use the ImgBurn tool pawel recommended...i'm guessing that'd be yer best bet as far as freeware goes...if ya wanna spend a bit of money, ONES is the ticket! wish i could run it on our Mac
Old 2007-11-23, 07:45 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Talking Re: Best software for archiving flac/shn files onto dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
yes, i understand all that [i work in film ]...and i have seen Nero try to change the ifo/bup's on a DVD authored using the latest DVDSP package...dunno why, but it did...
oops, I didn't know, and have never faced a problem on PC with a DVD created with DVDSP.

Quote:
but enough hijaking this thread with tech-speak
he he, but it's Technobabble forum , and I want to learn from you
Old 2007-11-23, 08:34 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

no worries pawel, when it comes to video and audio, its a constantly changing environment...hell, some of the gear i used just 5 years ago seems obsolete now! but yeah, i learn new stuff almost every day here at TTD

[most of the time tho, its things posted in The Lounge that i wish i never knew about ]
Old 2007-11-25, 07:16 PM
1.04 TB/6.52 TB/6.25

Nero seem to be the best all around program for a variety of tasks. But your PC should already have a program and if you just want to archive your audio you can go to "My Computer" click on your DVD drive and add files.
Old 2008-09-18, 10:14 PM
2.11 TB/1.53 TB/0.72

After some advice re using nero to archive flac files. Having problems with long file names. Using standard ISO level 1, ISO 9660 character set & with Joliet ticked. (the default option)

File names greater than 64 characters won't archive properly, get an error message saying files need to be renamed to fit into joliet naming system & if you go ahead & burn, the file name is shortened & the back up is as a "compressed audio file".

There are two options on the ISO tab, relax ISO restrictions, which warns disc might not be readable by all computers & relax Joliet to more than 64 characters. This gives no warning but does anyone know if this affects readability?

I have been manually shortening the names before archiving (& making sure I note on my records that I've done this), but this means can't reseed or trade these shows in FLAC format as they are no longer the original.

What do other people do to archive these files?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble