The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-08-31, 12:06 AM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

I need help with uploading a torrent

I never created & uploaded a torrent before and even with the directions on this site I still can't figure out the terms. Fingerprints? What are those and do I have to add them to every song? Any help would be appreciated with this guys.Basically I have no idea what I am doing.lol

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Premiess; 2012-08-31 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-08-31, 07:02 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: I need help with uploading a torrent

first, lets get a few ?s answered:

--are you running Windows, OSX, Linux?
--are you trying to create a torrent from an Audio CD, from existing flac files, from a recording you did, etcetc?

once i an get to my other comp, i will upload a "Trading for Noobs" guide we worked up a few years ago [there's a Mac and Windows version]...its a bit outta date since the programs used have newer versions with some added functions now, but should still apply for what yer trying to do...and its got pictures too, which usually helps most folks

it seems daunting at first, but is pretty easy actually...we can answer specific questions as you go thru the process
Old 2012-08-31, 10:39 AM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

I'm running windows 7 and the songs are ripped to my computer from an audio cd. Yes I'm trying to create a torrent from an audio cd. I don't get what to put in the form when I try to upload an "Audio Torrent".
Old 2012-08-31, 12:26 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

alright, so you've basically got a set of wav files now...assuming you ripped the CD using an accurate program [EAC or similar, which is required for our site], at this point you need to:
--compress the wav files to lossless [flac files]
--create an .st5 checksum of the flac files
--create an info text with proper lineage, etc
--upload the fileset, per the FAQ here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

the how-to on how to go from wav>flac, create checksums,etc -- d/l the guide via link below...i'd recommend reading the whole thing, but pay special attention to Chapter 4...any questions along the way, just post back here

http://www.filehost.ws/6hvucj4ef04b
Old 2012-08-31, 01:02 PM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

I always use Itunes to put the files from an audio cd on my hard drive.
However I just downloaded and installed Exact Audio Copy & will try it again.
Old 2012-08-31, 06:00 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

If you rip the CD to a folder with EAC, it will ask you at the end of the rip if you want to 'Create Log'. Do this, give it a meaningful name (Artist/Date/Event, include 'EAC' within the name) and save it in the same folder as the WAV files that you've just generated with EAC.

Download Trader's Little Helper (TLH). With this, ENCODE the WAV files as FLAC files, Before you do this, tick the option in TLH to create an FFP file. At the end of the encoding, save this file with a meaningful name (Artist/Event/Date etc).

You should now have a set of FLAC files, an EAC log and an FFP file in the folder. If your torrent spans more than one CD, you should have two folders, possibly named Disc 1, Disc 2, etc - each should have a set of FLAC files, one EAC log and one FFP file.

Create a text file with a description, lineage, and use your torrent client (Vuze? uTorrent?) to create a torrent file. Don't change the files after you do this.

The fields in the Upload page are fairly self-evident - paste all the text from your info file into the description field, paste the content of the FFP file into the fingerprints field.

Use the attachment dialogue at the foot of the page to upload your torrent file.

Ask again if still having problems.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:21 PM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

I have been trying both EAC & Flac Frontend. No luck yet although I will keep trying. I tried to encode the songs in Flac Frontend & it said it only encodes Wav files.
Old 2012-09-01, 04:28 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

What's the problem with EAC?

You load the CD in the drive, and it shows up in EAC, either as Track 01, Track 02, etc or with Track Names if it's looked it up successfuly from the web. You press the WAV button, and it generates WAV files from the CD tracks. There's an option whether to use a default folder on your HDD or to prompt for a new folder every time you use it

Where are you hitting problems? Be more specific, and we can be of more help
Old 2012-09-01, 03:10 PM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

I thought that EAC might just be a converter for the torrent. I was importing the songs threw Itunes & then using EAC which was the problem. I'm use to uploading video's to Youtube that I put together using Windows Live Movie Maker. It's a totally different process and I will just have to learn this torrent stuff. So after I load the tracks from the CD in EAC as Wav files then what?
Old 2012-09-01, 03:30 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

everything from Extracting the Audio CD [using EAC] through the end of the process is cover in Chapter 4 of the guide i posted a link to earlier

if you've already extracted using EAC, next you'll take you're wav files and convert to flac, create checksums [aka fingerprints], etc using Trader's Little Helper [download the prog here]:
http://tlh.easytree.org/

once you install TLH...
--convert wav to flac [Chapter 4 Part 4]
--create checksums [.st5] [Chapter 4 Part 5]

you'll also create your info text file [also covered in the guide]...unless you know the specific source of the audio cd, but i'm assuming you don't, your lineage will be:
Audio CD(x) > EAC > wavs > TLH > flacs
Old 2012-09-01, 04:44 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premiess View Post
So after I load the tracks from the CD in EAC as Wav files then what?
Answered that a couple of posts back....

"Download Trader's Little Helper (TLH). With this, ENCODE the WAV files as FLAC files, Before you do this, tick the option in TLH to create an FFP file. At the end of the encoding, save this file with a meaningful name (Artist/Event/Date etc).

You should now have a set of FLAC files ......."
Old 2012-09-01, 07:25 PM
8.99 GB/9.67 MB/0.00

Ok I did everything you last said and I named the Flac Files and saved them. Sorry I have ADD as I have to keep reading over Chapter 4.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:30 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

OK, so you now should have a Folder on your PC, named appropriately, such as -

"Beck, Jeff 1981-01-01 Anywhere town AUD FLAC"

Within this folder you have a set of FLAC files (named as per track titles), a text file with info and lineage, an EAC log file and FFP file - all of these should also be named in similar fashion to the folder with artist name, date, event etc

Again, this was stated earlier in the thread, but use your torrent client to create a torrent file from this folder. With Vuze, it's select the 'New Torrent' option, give it the folder name, the Announce URL for this site, and leave it to it with other default settings.

With a torrent file saved. use the upload show option on the site, paste the content of the FFP file into the fingerprint window on the upload page, and use the Attechment dialogue at the foot of the page to upload the torrent file BEFORE you click Upload Show.

Once the site says the torrent is uploaded successfully, you need to download the torrent file from the site, and Open it in your torrent client.
Old 2012-09-03, 05:32 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

OK, since your ratio is still at zero, I assume there's still problems.... what are they?
Old 2012-09-03, 05:54 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Hello.

There are some links in my sig which will help you get up to speed on the basics

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble