The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-08-06, 12:05 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Re: BootTunes: Useful program for iTunes users

Thanks for the feedback, Paul.

Although I've heard of cue files, I'd never actually seen one in the wild, so I didn't think to add support for them. Where do you encounter them, usually?

PNG files are supported. You say the "no file to add" message appears after choosing an image? There is a "Nothing to add" message that appears when you click the "Add to iTunes" button when there aren't any valid recordings in the queue. If a show is missing information needed to form its title, it will be considered invalid and appear in red, and if that is the only thing in the queue when you click "Add" you will get the "Nothing to add" message. Is that what happened?

I know ALAC files are bigger than FLAC, but it's the only lossless compression that iTunes supports. If by "doing a codec" you mean converting to a lossy format, you can always do that from iTunes. There's even an option that'll automatically create AAC versions whenever you copy ALAC files to a device.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-08-06, 06:08 PM
old washed up musician
118.93 GB/508.26 GB/4.27

re: cue files

When someone loads a full show, or ½ show in one long file. Most converters seem to recognize them & when converting, they split the track into individual song tracks...

re: no file to add

Yes, that is correct. That is then the problem with adding a long single file w/ cue ?

The only text files that are in the folder are checksum files. Could that be it?

Codec means keep (using) the existing file & making it read as a compatable format, instead of converting the file into a new file & using that...
Old 2011-08-06, 07:03 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post
When someone loads a full show, or ½ show in one long file. Most converters seem to recognize them & when converting, they split the track into individual song tracks...
Handling cue files may be out of the scope of BootTunes. It's intended to do one thing, and that is to import shows from sites like this into iTunes in an orderly and lossless fashion. Is there some trading community that uses cue files commonly?

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. That is then the problem with adding a long single file w/ cue ?
Since BootTunes doesn't know anything about cue files, it would just import it as a single file.

Quote:
The only text files that are in the folder are checksum files. Could that be it?
Does the error occur when you try to add the show to the queue, or when you try to start the conversion process? If the latter, does the show appear in the queue highlighted red with a message such as "missing venue"? If so, you would need to double click it and either fill in the missing information, or fill in "title override" with your own custom album title.

Quote:
Codec means keep (using) the existing file & making it read as a compatable format, instead of converting the file into a new file & using that...
I'm guessing you're referring to Fluke, which let's you play FLAC in iTunes. That's certainly more convenient, but you can't transfer the files to a device or have album artwork.
Old 2011-08-07, 05:13 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

I use songbird to play may FLAC files.
Old 2011-08-07, 03:02 PM
23.72 GB/46.69 GB/1.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karst View Post
I use songbird to play may FLAC files.
Another viable solution, unless you have an Apple device.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:42 PM
old washed up musician
118.93 GB/508.26 GB/4.27

I was just looking for a way to get shows to my iPhone/Pod/Pad...

I haven't had time to mess w/ it since, but probably like you said, I need to manually add some info, but I really don't necessarily want a long file unsplit for those devices...

I can play flac on everything on my PC. I only use iTunes to work w/ my devices listed above. This is pretty cool for what it does...

I use exrecodeII to do this already though & it does work w/ sidecar files (such as cue) & will split all the tracks on recoding. You can also add images, text, etc., but you have to do it manually. It's more versatile, but yours is nice & quick, for what you have it doing. Maybe you can download exrecode & see how it's engineered?

http://xrecode.com/

oh, & yes, there's a few forums, that do like the long file. Yeeshkul has been promoting this, as they banned people from splitting tracks & uploading. Much like the no remaster policy here, if you are the taper & split it, it's ok, if the original poster posted in 1 file, a split track version is not allowed...

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showth...799#post157799

Quote:
Those that split tracks and then upload...

If the original seeder wanted their releases to be split into tracks they would've done so themselves.

What you do for your own personal usage is up to you, but do not upload such pathetic excuses for 'remasters' here. It's extremely rude towards the original seeders and their efforts and a rather lame practice in order to boost your ratio.

Last edited by P A U L; 2011-08-10 at 05:50 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble