The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-10, 01:42 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Making the switch from CD to DVD Archival: Any tips?

Ok, so I'm finally doing it, making the big switch from CD to DVD archival. I've got two GINORMOUS tupperware containers full of slim spine CD cases, all with typed spine labels, one per show. It's just getting to be to much work, not too mention too much to store and sort through. So, I'm getting ready to transfer everything over to the much more reliable DVD media. Here's my question.. How the hell do I know what is where? Is there some sort of method ya'll use to keep a list somewhere that says "This show is on DVD disc #139" etc? Should I incorporate it into my tradelist @ db, or have a seperate spreadsheet to do this? Totally lost here.. Thanks for the help... By the way, I'm gonna have a TON of B&Ps coming up, so keep your eyes open!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-10, 02:26 PM
Mr FiXXX-It
128.94 GB/421.84 GB/3.27

Icon4 Re: Making the switch from CD to DVD Archival: Any tips?

I can only speak for myself, but I use a program called Advanced Disk Catalog. Basically you just pop in a disk (CD or DVD), ADC reads the disk, you give it a name and it's added to a catalog of all the disks you've archived.

I have a catalog specifically for bootlegs called (what else) Bootlegs; each disk is labeled Boots001, Boots002, etc and each show is in its own folder. Suits my needs perfectly.

If you don't think ADC is right for you, just google for catalog programs; you'll find something that works
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-10, 03:38 PM
rabble
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Making the switch from CD to DVD Archival: Any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FiXXXeR
I can only speak for myself, but I use a program called Advanced Disk Catalog. Basically you just pop in a disk (CD or DVD), ADC reads the disk, you give it a name and it's added to a catalog of all the disks you've archived.

I have a catalog specifically for bootlegs called (what else) Bootlegs; each disk is labeled Boots001, Boots002, etc and each show is in its own folder. Suits my needs perfectly.

If you don't think ADC is right for you, just google for catalog programs; you'll find something that works
Most important to me would be the ability to sort the list alphabetically by artist, then by date, with a column following stating the disc # it is on.. Can I do that with this app?
Old 2005-05-10, 04:14 PM
Mr FiXXX-It
128.94 GB/421.84 GB/3.27

ADC sorts by disk in each catalog. So like in my Bootlegs catalog, it's Boots001, 002, etc. Then I have each show folder sorted by band & date. It has a great search function which you can sort however you want. As I said, it works for me, may not for you. But give it a shot anyway
Old 2005-05-10, 04:18 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Someone suggested WHEREISIT and I've been using it ever since.

You may also consider a parity archive tool such as QuickPar

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-05-11, 01:48 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I found Broken Cross Disk Manager a couple of years ago and have been using it with no problems.
http://bcdm.broken-cross.com/en/index.php

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble