The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-04, 10:25 AM
476.53 GB/1.17 TB/2.52

Question on Lineage/MD5 checksums

I'm considering sharing a show that was seeded on another tracker about a year or so ago, but 2 things have come up now that are in my way:

1) Lineage information includes the following source & transfer info:

Source: AT853 > SPSB2@16hz > D7 (line in)

Transfer: Sony DTC-670 > Hoontech ST-DBIII > Cubase 5 (normalization/downsampling) > CDWave (splits) > SoundForge 5 (fades) > SHN

The original taper, however, uploaded said show in FLAC format. Is it safe to assume that I can pass it on as is and change the lineage info to show 'SoundForge 5 (fades) > FLAC' or should I add in an unknown step - 'SoundForge 5 (fades) > SHN > ? > FLAC' just to be on the safe side?

2) The original md5s are for the WAV files. If uploading, should I include those originals PLUS the flac fingerprints I've generated or will the new FFPs be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-04, 11:32 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Question on Lineage/MD5 checksums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkramar78
I'm considering sharing a show that was seeded on another tracker about a year or so ago, but 2 things have come up now that are in my way:

1) Lineage information includes the following source & transfer info:

Source: AT853 > SPSB2@16hz > D7 (line in)

Transfer: Sony DTC-670 > Hoontech ST-DBIII > Cubase 5 (normalization/downsampling) > CDWave (splits) > SoundForge 5 (fades) > SHN

The original taper, however, uploaded said show in FLAC format. Is it safe to assume that I can pass it on as is and change the lineage info to show 'SoundForge 5 (fades) > FLAC' or should I add in an unknown step - 'SoundForge 5 (fades) > SHN > ? > FLAC' just to be on the safe side?
Most likely it was the second, which should be a lossless process. I would make note that they were received in flac format with the lineage included up to SHN and that you are assuming the original seeder just didn't 'complete' the lineage in the notes.
Quote:
2) The original md5s are for the WAV files. If uploading, should I include those originals PLUS the flac fingerprints I've generated or will the new FFPs be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you should generate ffps to go with your flacs. Those are what you want to paste into the upload page where it says "fingerprints". Go ahead and include the wav md5s in the torrented folder, that is just fine, but you need to make either ffps or shntool md5s to include with your upload package.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble