The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Categorize the torrents?
Yes, Preset groups 16 23.53%
Yes, User created groups 6 8.82%
No 46 67.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-14, 05:49 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Music Categories for torrents??

i vote NO, we all know how accurate people's take on labeling is

if ya want to label yer torrents, put it in the torrent thread title...simple as that
Old 2008-01-14, 09:27 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I like the idea, but I've never seen it work anywhere. People always label things wrong... but who am I to decide it's wrong? I think a lot of bands don't fit in one genre or another so the label system would be of little value since it could act as a faulty search filter - and the longer it is implemented, the less accurate it'll become.

nah.
Old 2008-01-15, 09:22 AM
Music of the Spheres
81.55 GB/77.39 GB/0.95

Categories are superfluous.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-17, 01:08 PM
102.16 GB/64.30 GB/0.63

Angry Re: Music Categories for torrents??

I think categories are a bad idea, especially if someone doing a search then has to properly guess what category their band might be in - either you don't get results shown even though your band is somewhere, or you have to run multiple queries guessing what category someone put your band in, or you do not get complete results, as the band might be in other categories too, etc, etc - you get the picture.
If somehow categories are put in regardless, my strong suggestion is to make sure that search can be done across all categories.
As I said, I don't see the benefits of categories, but see negatives. The only way categories may be good is if they are very distinct and non-overlapping, for example: rock, classical, jazz .... but as everything here would generally fall into the same category on that level, and be of interest to the same people, don't split it up further, because that just introduces more regular daily ongoing user confusion as to what might be in or fit in what category (ie - even rock vs. blues). It splits band up, as some people will put them in one category, some in another, some in a third, etc, confusing others later interested in that band.
Old 2008-07-30, 10:13 AM
The Fisherman
195.99 GB/512.79 GB/2.62

Prime example of why i voted no. on dime Buckethead is listed as Alternate, Rock, Progressive Rock, & Heavy Metal.
Old 2008-07-30, 12:17 PM
739.36 GB/1.39 TB/1.92

I once worked at a record store where they had Harry Chapin under Comedy.

Cross genre bands have made even the old standards of Rock, Jazz, Soul, Classical, Comedy, Big Band, Religious and Country difficult to manage. Would duplicate, triplicate etc. entries have to appear to appease those who believe a band belongs in a certain category?

Then you have to deal with "____ band is not _____ it is _____." arguments which attract idiocy galore, like someone who tells his buddies that so and so is listed under whatever at TTD and all his buddies join not to trade but solely to argue about the label.

Occasionally a band comes along that is so new that even a internet search reveals very little. In that case the original poster could for the curious give a clue to the type of music.
Old 2008-10-19, 03:52 AM
Jesus Christ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

please don't allow User-Defined genres!!!!!!!!!!

please!!!!!!!!

many-a-time i've typed "psychedelic" into a p2p program and friggin' Elton John has come up............

TTD is beautiful as it is....... it encourages eclecticism........ no need to catagorise stuff....... in fact, there's just no need to change stuff here at all.
Old 2008-10-19, 08:25 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

we're not going to...i'm with you on how irritating it is that many people can't properly categorize a band when choosing the tag, and that it limits what this site has always wanted to promote--learning about new & diverse music
Old 2008-10-19, 07:05 PM
Jesus Christ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
we're not going to...i'm with you on how irritating it is that many people can't properly categorize a band when choosing the tag, and that it limits what this site has always wanted to promote--learning about new & diverse music
you nailed it.
Old 2008-10-21, 11:04 PM
67.92 GB/18.51 GB/0.27

categories can be both good and bad.

good, as it can narrow your search.
bad cause you cannot see other genres.

what if someone doesnt think zeppelin is rock, but look through heavy metal. they'd miss the torrent. i can just imagine the arguments in the torrent threads. take the beatles.
werent they a skiffle band at one point, then classic rock, then psychadelic? or the doors? rock/classic rock/psychadelic.

with that being said, its best to take olive oil's advice.
"i know me stuff and am smart enough to leave well enough alone"
Old 2008-10-21, 11:17 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

You sorta need to know what to look for.
Old 2008-10-22, 08:58 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

pasted for vlad (don't make it a habit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I want to take this opportunity to add my two cents to the poll regarding music categories currently in the "Site suggestions" forum. This video serves as a great example of the topic. This video would be listed as "Jazz". Even though someone looking for Carlos Santana would not find it listed (his name is not in the torrent title), this video would be "Jazz". When I archive my text files, I categorize them by music genre - Jazz, Rock, Classic Rock, Bluegrass, Blues etc. I find this method useful to locate files in a timely manner.
I think the categories, if instituted, should encompass the music style - not the artist. I'm not endorsing the notion, just adding my observation. Obviously, some titles would slip through the cracks, as mentioned in the thread/poll I refer to. So, while the system would be flawed (depending on the discretion of the seeder in choosing a genre), I think categories could be a useful tool. A seach of "Jazz" would show a finite list of torrents - this one for instance. A keyword search for "Santana" would include this torrent in a list which most likely also include "Latin", "Rock" or "Classic Rock" as it is included in the description text file .

If someone wants to paste this in the "Site suggestions" I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 2008-10-22, 11:02 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I want to take this opportunity to add my two cents to the poll regarding music categories currently in the "Site suggestions" forum. This video serves as a great example of the topic. This video would be listed as "Jazz". Even though someone looking for Carlos Santana would not find it listed (his name is not in the torrent title), this video would be "Jazz". When I archive my text files, I categorize them by music genre - Jazz, Rock, Classic Rock, Bluegrass, Blues etc. I find this method useful to locate files in a timely manner.
I think the categories, if instituted, should encompass the music style - not the artist. I'm not endorsing the notion, just adding my observation. Obviously, some titles would slip through the cracks, as mentioned in the thread/poll I refer to. So, while the system would be flawed (depending on the discretion of the seeder in choosing a genre), I think categories could be a useful tool. A seach of "Jazz" would show a finite list of torrents - this one for instance. A keyword search for "Santana" would include this torrent in a list which most likely also include "Latin", "Rock" or "Classic Rock" as it is included in the description text file .

If someone wants to paste this in the "Site suggestions" I would appreciate it. Thanks.

as has been stated numerous times above in this thread, we are not going to be using any sort of category/genre tags here at The Den
Old 2008-10-22, 11:33 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
as has been stated numerous times above in this thread, we are not going to be using any sort of category/genre tags here at The Den
There you have it. Seems to me this case is closed. Next topic..?

Last edited by vladsmythe; 2008-10-22 at 11:43 PM.
Old 2009-01-19, 03:53 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Tagging of your torrent threads is now allowed. This will allow those of you who like to categorize your shows to do so. This was just an addition, the same old filtering of shows via audience, soundboard, FM, etc is still there also.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions