The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-01-27, 02:02 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

help with sony vegas 6 > avi files..?

after i put the video into sony vegas..how do i make it into avi files...i don't want to render the video...want to add new audio later...can this be does with vegas..thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-01-27, 02:47 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: help with sony vegas 6 > avi files..?

are you just wanting to archive the raw captures? and be careful with avi, there are actually numerous avi settings, some of which will compress ad one that doesn't

i've never used Vegas, but Final Cut has 3 basic export options: Quicktime Movie, Using Compressor, Using Quicktime Conversion

Quicktime Movie is the "raw" format you would use...the other two offer various compressed formats

check your manual for uncompressed exporting or the vegas forums, dvcreators.net, creativecow.net, etc
Old 2007-01-27, 02:51 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
are you just wanting to archive the raw captures? and be careful with avi, there are actually numerous avi settings, some of which will compress ad one that doesn't

i've never used Vegas, but Final Cut has 3 basic export options: Quicktime Movie, Using Compressor, Using Quicktime Conversion

Quicktime Movie is the "raw" format you would use...the other two offer various compressed formats

check your manual for uncompressed exporting or the vegas forums, dvcreators.net, creativecow.net, etc
yes i am just trying to figure out on how to get the video onto dvd without rendering it/compressing it for right now..want to author it later..i have looked in the manual but didn't see anything..i may have missed it though...will look again..thanks...
Old 2007-01-27, 02:59 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yeah, should be under "exporting" or similar, wish i could be of more help...i'm sure one of the Vegas heads will be around before long and can tell you the exact steps if you don't find it in the manual

also forgot to mention the 2-pop forums are a good place to learn
Old 2007-01-27, 03:29 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwurock
after i put the video into sony vegas..how do i make it into avi files...i don't want to render the video...want to add new audio later...can this be does with vegas..thanks!
Is it in PAL or NTSC?

If it's NTSC and you have the video on the time line, go to file>render as. Change "Save as type:" to "Video for Windows (*.avi)". Select "NTSC DV" for the template. Change the file name and directory of your choosing and click "Save".

Note: Make sure you have the entire video slected before you go to render it.
Old 2007-01-27, 06:13 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbLuck
Is it in PAL or NTSC?

If it's NTSC and you have the video on the time line, go to file>render as. Change "Save as type:" to "Video for Windows (*.avi)". Select "NTSC DV" for the template. Change the file name and directory of your choosing and click "Save".

Note: Make sure you have the entire video slected before you go to render it.

then will you burn as a data disc or just do a regular burn..?...thanks for all the help!
Old 2007-01-27, 06:46 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwurock
then will you burn as a data disc or just do a regular burn..?...thanks for all the help!
I assume by regular burn, you mean a video DVD with a VIDEO_TS structure?

Well, no, avi is not what you want for that. NTSC DV is simply a video "container" format that you can work with before you compress it down to mpeg2, the DVD standard. You can (almost) think of NTSC DV as you would a wav audio file.

In what ways do you want to work with this video in the future? If you just want to sync new audio, you don't need to save it as an avi. You could just compress it to mpeg2 and work with just the audio later.

But to answer your original question, it would be a data DVD. NTSC DV produces large files that might not fit on a DVD though.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble