The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-12-06, 09:34 AM
1.36 TB/2.62 TB/1.92

Question Recommendations for Ext Hard Drive?

I am looking to purchase my first external hard drive with firewire connectivity for archiving audio and video. Seems each major brand has some amount of bad press.

If you have experience with a particular brand or model that you are pleased with or would always avoid, I would appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-12-06, 09:53 AM
alchemy71085
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Recommendations for Ext Hard Drive?

Also, why we're at it, can anyone say for sure which transfer is faster: firewire or usb?
Old 2005-12-06, 10:00 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Firewire seems to transfer faster on the Mac I have. Try either the Big disc or D2 ones. The others are far too fancy.
Old 2005-12-06, 12:14 PM
228.01 GB/712.14 GB/3.12

I have a Western Digital 160 GB external thru USB. No problems so far.

Saw in a review on epinions.com they have a newer model with firewire and one reviewer tested it to be almost twice as fast as his USB times. He connected both since it can also act as a USB hub.
Old 2005-12-06, 01:06 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

I have a LaCie 120 Gig External (firewire) that hasn't given me a single problem in 2 years. And I abuse that thing too, trust me. I down to around 20 gigs free all the time.

Here's a link to thier drives:
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033

Check out the refurbished ones, they're significantly cheaper.
Old 2005-12-06, 04:49 PM
47.90 GB/99.34 GB/2.07

Seagate

Sony Handicam -> Dazzle Optical -> Pinnacle Hollywood FX for minor special effects -> authored with Studio 8 -> DVD+R with Roxio
Old 2005-12-06, 06:10 PM
70.93 GB/94.86 GB/1.34

I can heartily recommned the LaCie drives. I have three (two USB and one FireWire) and they're all great. I have the Porsche design (they look good with a Mac) and they're compact, quiet and sturdy.

Since harddisks tend to fail quickly or after a long time, yo can do really well by buying a refurbished LaCie drive off their website. It coems with 90 day warranty instead of the usual 1 year, but you can get a really good deal.
Old 2005-12-06, 09:54 PM
1.36 TB/2.62 TB/1.92

I love this place! Such a great response in such a short time.
Thanks everyone.

I think I should have mentioned I am on a WinXP box that does not have USB 2.0 currently so that is why I chose the Firewire connection.

Looks like votes are:
2 Lacie
1 WD
1 Seagate

I thought I read somewhere the Lacie drives are geared towards Macs. Anyone with Lacie & Windows combination?

I currently enjoy 2 Seagate internal drives so I was tempted to go that route for an external drive.

The use for these will be for long time storage (or so I hope). I envision filling one up, burning to disc (CD or DVD) playable copies then shelving the drive until I need the archive again. This method versus a daily use drive I hope will make these last a long long time. Any thoughts on this idea/approach?
Old 2005-12-07, 03:05 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep
I love this place! Such a great response in such a short time.
Thanks everyone.

I think I should have mentioned I am on a WinXP box that does not have USB 2.0 currently so that is why I chose the Firewire connection.

Looks like votes are:
2 Lacie
1 WD
1 Seagate

I thought I read somewhere the Lacie drives are geared towards Macs. Anyone with Lacie & Windows combination?

I currently enjoy 2 Seagate internal drives so I was tempted to go that route for an external drive.

The use for these will be for long time storage (or so I hope). I envision filling one up, burning to disc (CD or DVD) playable copies then shelving the drive until I need the archive again. This method versus a daily use drive I hope will make these last a long long time. Any thoughts on this idea/approach?
If you are using it for purely archival use I wouldnt get one big drive. Get a bunch of small ones, just in case something happens you dont loose ALL of your music.

Have you thought about taking the DVD route instead?
Old 2005-12-07, 08:07 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Since LaCie does not make drives I often wonder why people have such high regard for them. You are just as likely to get a Maxtor or a Seagate drive in a LaCie case depending on who came up with the lowest bid.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-12-07, 08:19 PM
201.71 GB/334.58 GB/1.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
Since LaCie does not make drives I often wonder why people have such high regard for them. You are just as likely to get a Maxtor or a Seagate drive in a LaCie case depending on who came up with the lowest bid.
Agreed. And as mentioned in another post, my own personal experience with LaCie at work (backing up 15+ workstations every night) was less than pleasant. Do a google search for Lacie + Delayed Write Failed.

Of course ymmv
Old 2005-12-07, 10:22 PM
1.36 TB/2.62 TB/1.92

Ahh so Lacie just rebadges other drives. Hmmm...
"Delayed write failed" - that doesn't sound good!

thisistoto mentioned the DVD route. Thanks for the tip but I am trying to avoid a sea of DVDs much like my sea of CD archives of SHNs. My hope was to put these drives up on a shelf when full and pull them out on an as needed basis.

Thinking Seagate since I have good luck <knocking on wood> with their internal drives.

Anyone else care to share their experience or solutions?
Old 2005-12-08, 09:49 AM
228.01 GB/712.14 GB/3.12

For backup - DVD vs external HD - it mainly depends on how many shows you plan to have/keep. If you only download a show or 2 a month, HD would probably be ok. But if you download 20 shows a month, you'll be buying a lot of hard drives.

Personally, I'm always finding something to download. So, I download to HD. Then as I get a chance, I backup to DVD as data and burn a copy to listen to/watch, and delete off. After a little over 2 years with BT, I'm up to 90 backup DVDs and still have 2 full 160 GB HDs (both Western Digital, 1 internal, 1 external).
Old 2005-12-08, 09:50 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I Have Bben Using A Maxtor For 2 Years With No Problems

Fire Wire !
Old 2005-12-08, 05:23 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep
Ahh so Lacie just rebadges other drives. Hmmm...
"Delayed write failed" - that doesn't sound good!

thisistoto mentioned the DVD route. Thanks for the tip but I am trying to avoid a sea of DVDs much like my sea of CD archives of SHNs. My hope was to put these drives up on a shelf when full and pull them out on an as needed basis.

Thinking Seagate since I have good luck <knocking on wood> with their internal drives.

Anyone else care to share their experience or solutions?
The fact that you want to shelve the drives makes me want to suggest you get a Hot Swappable drive bay like this one , I'm not recommending this manufacturer it just came up in a search. There are other types of bays including internal that will allow you to do that. Buying the whole case with a drive card in it just to shelve it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper

Last edited by diggrd; 2005-12-08 at 05:30 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble