The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-06-28, 03:04 PM
boredwhitelighter
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

how about a shoutbox ?

on many sites i belong to they use an off site java based ? shoutbox , this makes the sites become more alive to me , i also belong to sites that host their own , but that means someone pays for it

i think it would be an interesting , alternative way to chat about what is here after all we come from almost every country there is in the world and most can at least understand a little english , i love music in almost any style and am always looking for new music that is unknown to me , and preferable to be unsigned bands as well so within the rules of what is allowed here i guess

it is just a thought , so any mods or admin care to comment on the idea ?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-28, 07:57 PM
fadeaway
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: how about a shoutbox ?

Have you been to the bottom of the board?
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...isplay.php?f=6
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-29, 10:24 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Security issues(people have loose mouths),bandwidth hogger,troll attracting,post in thread preventing....

Just 4 things for why they are not a good idea

K_K
Old 2006-06-29, 10:33 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

^what he said

the discussion forums are like super-shoutboxes

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-07-04, 02:47 AM
boredwhitelighter
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
Security issues(people have loose mouths),bandwidth hogger,troll attracting,post in thread preventing....

Just 4 things for why they are not a good idea

K_K

first point , security ? if what is done here is legal ? what security risk is it to talk with others ?
second point , i did say off board so no bandwidth there , but if the first point was valid about securty then yes i can understand
third point troll attracting ? DUH !! my boards have leechers and spammers and some that spend hours in the shoutbox , including myself , any that break the rules are instantly banned as there are always staff there ( which also covers point one )
fourth point ,,post in thread preventing ? if people are going to post they will anyway , if they are going to post something pointless they will anyway ?

i once belonged to a board with over 30,000 members so i know all the problems involved with running a board with shoutboxes , and i still love them
Old 2006-07-04, 05:10 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
some that spend hours in the shoutbox
As i said.........troll attracting,
a place where bored people with nothing better to do can go.

A PM does the same thing...just not in real time

& for the security.....loose mouths can say anything.I mean anything,whether the site that the shoutbox is on is legal or not.
Links to illegal sites,shouting serial numbers,touting illegal sites.Flaming...it goes on.

I bet they all say sorry AFTERWARDS though.

Yes i know that those that cause trouble or do wrong could be banned,but i feel that here at TTD they are actually better than the govenment....they fix things before shit happens & not after....
That's why there isn't a shoutbox ,then no one even has the chance to be banned & they will stay happy

More trouble than they are worth IMO.
Quote:
i once belonged to a board with over 30,000 members so i know all the problems involved with running a board with shoutboxes
You said it....

hehe...yeah,they're good for getting people to donate to fight for p2p rights hahahahahha......(suckers)

Hey......you'll be wanting a radio next

K_K

Last edited by KoolKat; 2006-07-04 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2006-07-04, 10:45 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

We actually had a chatroom for a while that someone here set up. It was really popular for about one month. Then people stopped going there and decided they would rather post in the threads. Of course, one of the problems with the chatroom is that it wasn't integrated with the board, so the username in the chatroom was not necessarily the same username from the board. It got a bit weird in there with people using usernames that weren't their own.

Old 2006-07-05, 01:45 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
We actually had a chatroom for a while that someone here set up. It was really popular for about one month. Then people stopped going there and decided they would rather post in the threads. Of course, one of the problems with the chatroom is that it wasn't integrated with the board, so the username in the chatroom was not necessarily the same username from the board. It got a bit weird in there with people using usernames that weren't their own.
Ahhh....thats a chat room Lynne.Different story on that one.

Yeah they end up like a old toy after a while i agree.
I was on a few when they 1st came about to see what the action was.Mirc in different skin really.
Day by day on the visits you noticed everyone slowly dwindeling away.

K_K

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions