The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-09, 10:22 PM
screwball
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Help getting started

Is there anybody or any website that can guide a person thru downloading Azureus. Why do I need java? What is it? What is a mirror? What do I do with it when I get it? I thought all this stuff was free? I have read the FAQ and it just dosen't have the answers. All I want to do is get the Cream shows. Please help
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-09, 10:37 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Help getting started

I strongly suggest if you are new to all this, you just grab the basic client from http://www.bittorrent.com/ . No java needed and installation is painless.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-09, 10:45 PM
screwball
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I click the download button, and it asks me to pick a mirror which I did (easynews), what do I do then? I don't get it.
Old 2005-07-09, 10:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Pick a mirror site closest to you. But, the official bt site that I linked you to doesn't ask for a mirror site. If you are having problems with mirror sites, you're going to have problems with first installing java, then Azureus, then setting it up properly (because you probably won't understand many of the bittorrent terms). Start with an easy client and once you get the hang of things, move onto one that is a bit more involved, but also more customizable (like Azureus).

Old 2005-07-10, 07:30 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

A "mirror is simply an alternate place to download a file from. I would do as U2Lynne says and go with the basic client first. If you have problems, come back here and we'll get you fixed up.
Old 2005-07-10, 08:29 PM
screwball
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Sorry, I had to bail out quickly last night, the link that U2Lynne sent me does ask for a mirror and I still don't get it. This is what I'm doing - I open bittorrent.com and I click the windows download button and it sends me to a page that instructs me to pick a mirror. I choose the one closest to me which is Easynews and they want $10 a month. Does everybody get stuck with this? I want to get involved with this, I've got a list 3 or 4 times bigger than enything I've seen so far. I've been collecting music for over 35 years.
Old 2005-07-10, 08:42 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

You were clicking on the logo to the left, weren't you (that's advertising)? Look on the right side under the "Download" column. Click the icon in there

Post back if you still can't download or have other problems.
Old 2005-07-10, 08:43 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Weird. I'm on a Mac and when I hit the Mac link, I don't get asked for a mirror. However, I pulled up that site on my PC, selected the Windows button then selected the easynews mirro and it downloaded just fine for me. When are you getting told it costs money?

Old 2005-07-10, 08:44 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Ted, you did it again!

Old 2005-07-10, 08:49 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

You're not the only female to tell me I was too quick.
Old 2005-07-10, 09:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

hehe

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble