The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-28, 05:12 PM
bigchuck
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Audio cd-rs with Data stored on them

Okay, so here is my problem: I was sent a bunch of flac and shn shows in a trade, however, they seem to have been burned on audio cd-rs.

Everytime I put them in my drive and try to open them I get the message: Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

So, is there any way that I can get these files off the discs? Or am I going to need to get the trader to resend the shows?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-28, 05:53 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Re: Audio cd-rs with Data stored on them

Audio CDR's and Computer CDR's are identical, except the Audio CDR's have a flag embedded in them which tells "standalone" CDR Recorders that the media has had a license fee paid.

If you can see the data files in Explorer, but can't transfer or open them, then your problem isn't the TYPE of media, but some other incompatibility or corruption.

There are some programs (CD Roller comes to mind) that will recover data from "unreadable" discs, but it might just be easier to send the trader some media from your own stock that you know will work in your CD reader. If THOSE come back bad, I'd find someone else to trade with.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-28, 05:53 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

is it possible that they're DVD-R?

you traded flac and shn, I think it's reasonable to expect to get data files traded back. If the guy knows what flac and shn is he should also know that you don't want audio cdrs.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-28, 06:11 PM
bigchuck
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

They're defenitely not DVD-Rs. I can't even open them in explorer, I just get that message. They're TDK audio cds. A couple of them were normal maxel cd-rs and they worked fine, so I thought it might be the audio disc thing. I guess if thats not the problem then I need to try one of the options wazoo2u suggested.

If anyone else knows anything that might cause this, your help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2005-01-28, 06:18 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

What kind of drive are you trying to use to open these with ?? Just curious, maybe it doesn't like this media for some reason... could happen..

I'd check the media compatibility list for your drive at the manu. website.

It's hard to believe that it's a read problem at your end tho... audio cdr's were designed to work with either computer or standalone drives, they just tacked on an extra 50 cents per disk for the license revenue, so nobody bought them to use as computer disks.

My guess is going in the direction that the BURN process was faulty.
Old 2005-01-28, 06:24 PM
bigchuck
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'm begining to suspect that, too...I need to try out all the discs realy quick. However, I just found it odd that the maxell cd-rs work. I tried reading it in both of my drives, each of which have had no problem with TDK. I have a lite-on dvd-rw drive, and a cd-rw that came with my dell(don't know what brand).

Also, some are in audio and those work fine.

This is quite perplexing...
Old 2005-01-28, 06:55 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

indeed.

try them on a friend's computer first then contact the trader if they still don't work.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-29, 01:35 AM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Also try updating the firmware on your drive.
Old 2005-01-29, 02:03 AM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Audio CDR's and Computer CDR's are identical, except the Audio CDR's have a flag embedded in them which tells "standalone" CDR Recorders that the media has had a license fee paid.

If you can see the data files in Explorer, but can't transfer or open them, then your problem isn't the TYPE of media, but some other incompatibility or corruption.

There are some programs (CD Roller comes to mind) that will recover data from "unreadable" discs, but it might just be easier to send the trader some media from your own stock that you know will work in your CD reader. If THOSE come back bad, I'd find someone else to trade with.
Thanks for the CD Roller recommendation. I was able to save some shows from a DVDR that I've had for awhile now. Didn't think I was ever going to save them. And as a reward, I have a couple of Blue Floyd shows that I will seed shortly.
Old 2005-01-31, 07:41 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
This is not entirely true. Data CDs have extra error-checking bits contained in the data, making data discs more reliable to retrieve data from than audio CDs.

It would not be possible to burn an audio CD from non-audio data, so I doubt this is the problem. My guess would be that the disc is corrupted, either from being scratched or (most likely) being burned incorrectly. I'd ask the trader for another copy.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-31, 12:08 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
This is not entirely true. Data CDs have extra error-checking bits contained in the data, making data discs more reliable to retrieve data from than audio CDs.

It would not be possible to burn an audio CD from non-audio data, so I doubt this is the problem. My guess would be that the disc is corrupted, either from being scratched or (most likely) being burned incorrectly. I'd ask the trader for another copy.
He's talking about what the discs are made out of not how the data is written.
Old 2005-01-31, 08:04 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Is it possible that his CD reader is reading the licensing bit and concluding that the CD is formatted as an audio CD?
Old 2005-01-31, 09:41 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
He's talking about what the discs are made out of not how the data is written.
Correct. NOT talking about CRC vs. Reed-Solomon.
Old 2005-02-06, 02:27 PM
13.02 GB/166.54 GB/12.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
indeed.

try them on a friend's computer first then contact the trader if they still don't work.
ya your write Five
Old 2005-07-12, 12:15 AM
Wedge1
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Hi guys,

I googled "the disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows" and found this thread.

I get the message with a DVD ROM that I moved from an old Compaq 5832 Presario to a home-built PC. The old PC had and OEM install of Windows 98 (included in the restore discs) while the new build has XP Home. It doesn't matter what I insert in the DVD ROM. It reads nothing. Doesn't spin or anything. I just simply get that error message. Actually the entire message reads:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows

Although the label on the DVD-ROM is "Compaq", research shows that it's actually a 6x Pioneer 113R.

Can any of you give me guidance on where to start with this problem?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble