The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-01-31, 10:15 AM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Re: All My Torrents Banned From Dime

10 minute edit rule is killing me.

You are confusing file size per second [KB] with bitrate [Kbps]

Your files are most likely 16/48 @ 1536 Kbps which = 192 KB/sec or 11.520 MB/min or 691.2 MB/hr

Again use DbPoweramp to dither those wavs to 16/44.1 then use TLH Flac Level 8 to create proper Flacs.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-01-31, 10:34 AM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Here is a calculator online : http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_R..._File_Size.htm

You can punch in any # of bits and sample rate you choose. Even 12/32 still has a bitrate of 768. A Wav file with a bitrate of 192 Kbps would be 12 bit / 8 Khz. Doubt if your Tascam can even be set for that.

I also forgot that 16/48 is the standard for DAT. FYI
Old 2016-01-31, 11:28 AM
838.41 GB/797.18 GB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
I wonder how many mods they have there, anyway???
They have 23 mods!!
Administrators: erwe, jupiter2101 & nightshifted
Site Mods: Bob_cw, Brother_52, Gazdarf, McDanger, MissMarple, Nsima_1, Phenix059, randall, RubyTuesday, scottster & THEMODHATTER
Torrent Mods: Borlag, craig62, EastCoker, lintoni, monicasdud, rramstad, sea_eagle55, snakehead & tex
Old 2016-02-01, 07:37 PM
483.34 GB/491.80 GB/1.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksg View Post
Here is a calculator online : http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_R..._File_Size.htm

You can punch in any # of bits and sample rate you choose. Even 12/32 still has a bitrate of 768. A Wav file with a bitrate of 192 Kbps would be 12 bit / 8 Khz. Doubt if your Tascam can even be set for that.

I also forgot that 16/48 is the standard for DAT. FYI
imo, I don't think Dime likely to ban a torrent for being in a 16/48 format.

If you look at the sample screen for recording format of the Tascam SS-R1, you'll see where/why he (mistakenly) came up with the 192kps sampling rate.
Here's a link to the owner's manual on line, check page 35:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/710...page=35#manual

BTW, Planet Rock is being reported as possibly being closed to new members here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=115645
check post #54 in that thread.
Old 2016-02-01, 08:58 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Thanks a bunch mwontmeister. There was a bug in the system a couple of weeks ago. We are indeed accepting new members.

Last edited by vladsmythe; 2016-02-01 at 09:05 PM.
Old 2016-02-01, 10:04 PM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwonter View Post
imo, I don't think Dime likely to ban a torrent for being in a 16/48 format.

If you look at the sample screen for recording format of the Tascam SS-R1, you'll see where/why he (mistakenly) came up with the 192kps sampling rate.
Here's a link to the owner's manual on line, check page 35:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/710...page=35#manual

BTW, Planet Rock is being reported as possibly being closed to new members here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=115645
check post #54 in that thread.

You're not with me. That Menu pic in 5. is not possible, 16/44.1 has a bitrate of 1411.2Kbps and a file size of 176.4 KB/s. 16/48 has a bitrate of 1536 Kbps and a file size of 192 KB/s. The book even says bitrate is selectable only in mp3, that's because in WAV the bitrate is predetermined by the bits per sample and the samples per second. You cant alter the bitrate, it's a mathematical result of the format. Plus you really think that mod took the time to look at this manual? I highly doubt it.

If you don't want to read my proof that's cool, but it's irrefutable, absolutely spot on correct. I spent years analyzing samples on Audition. and those charts are reference material.

BTW, registrations are not closed at Planet Rock, I would know. I approve or deny them. All of them.
Old 2016-02-01, 11:05 PM
483.34 GB/491.80 GB/1.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksg View Post
You're not with me. That Menu pic in 5. is not possible, 16/44.1 has a bitrate of 1411.2Kbps and a file size of 176.4 KB/s. 16/48 has a bitrate of 1536 Kbps and a file size of 192 KB/s. The book even says bitrate is selectable only in mp3, that's because in WAV the bitrate is predetermined by the bits per sample and the samples per second. You cant alter the bitrate, it's a mathematical result of the format. Plus you really think that mod took the time to look at this manual? I highly doubt it.

If you don't want to read my proof that's cool, but it's irrefutable, absolutely spot on correct. I spent years analyzing samples on Audition. and those charts are reference material.

BTW, registrations are not closed at Planet Rock, I would know. I approve or deny them. All of them.
I think you're missing what I'm telling you. He saw the 192 on the record format screen, did not realize that was only pertinent to mp3 recording, and included it in his text file, that's why his torrents were banned. In no way am I refuting your math, and I found your reply instructive and informative, but off target in this quirky case. His entire issue was in how he wrote up his lineage. If the Tascam default setting for mp3s was 256, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Combining wav and mp3 record rate info on the same screen seems to be a common, and imo, confusing, practice on these chip burners not limited to the Tascams.

On the other matter, I will feel it's safe to assume that as my (legit) email to planet rock requesting to rejoin the site has remained unanswered for three months now, I am no longer welcome. That's OK, but a reply would have been nice, even if the answer was no. Consider that request withdrawn, no hard feelings, and best wishes to the PRLB tracker and the many fine members there.

Last edited by mwonter; 2016-02-01 at 11:14 PM.
Old 2016-02-02, 06:29 AM
3.03 TB/1.46 TB/0.48

Perhaps. Anyway as to your registration, about 300 requests were lost/purged due to the server update screw-up. You and almost anyone else here are welcome, and a fresh registration attempt will get approved, if you wish to reregister. I couldnt email you or anyone else as i couldnt retrieve any of the data. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble