The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2010-02-05, 01:45 PM
34.99 GB/77.27 GB/2.21

Lossy or Losless? The Who 1969-09-29 Amsterdam 1969, Het Concertgebouw (FLAC)

This who show was pulled because it has a mini disc in the lineage. So I dug out my copy of the exact show. My info says lineage is

1st gen reel > CDR > CDR

And my set is in shn so seems some lineage is missing.

So I went to check if my copy is lossless and looks like i need some help.

I just read a thread where it was determined the cut off was from noise reduction which I think my version has since the cutoff is around 18 and not 16.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=79492

The first image is from my source, 3 second interval. The second image is from the source that was pulled because MD was in the source. I'm no expert but it looks fine to me. Seems some noise is above what looks like a cutoff.

for image2, I just grabbed one track from the seed on zomb which was where the source for the pulled show was from. These images are from the same song and approximate same interval. What ya'll think?

cheers
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg
( 299.4 KB, 26 views)

File Type: jpg Image2.jpg
( 312.3 KB, 17 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-02-05, 03:38 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Lossy or Losless? The Who 1969-09-29 Amsterdam 1969, Het Concertgebouw (FLAC)

Minidisc, both of them. Compare with the screenshots in this thread, particularly the image at the bottom of the page. Notice the squareness at the top of the peaks?

Interestingly, the second source seems to have some extra background noise, compared to the first one.
Old 2010-02-05, 06:40 PM
34.99 GB/77.27 GB/2.21

Re: Lossy or Losless? The Who 1969-09-29 Amsterdam 1969, Het Concertgebouw (FLAC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintoni View Post
Minidisc, both of them. Compare with the screenshots in this thread, particularly the image at the bottom of the page. Notice the squareness at the top of the peaks?

Interestingly, the second source seems to have some extra background noise, compared to the first one.
Oooooooohhhhhh I see the squared off peaks and looked over the thread you provided. Thanks for the education

The second image does have noise and that's what made me think it wasn't lossy. Hmmmm, mini disc would have filtered that out? If not, maybe my version had some noise reduction done to it eh?

Well, now I'll look at my other source which was ripped from silvers

thanks!
d
Old 2010-02-06, 02:50 AM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

^^^
I think that the noise has been acquired post minidisc, though how, I've no idea.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?