The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-26, 12:10 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Re: SBE Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
That's right. That's the whole point of the sector align option. If you turn the sector align option off then flac.exe will pay no attention to whether there are SBEs in the wave files and will just compress them as-is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonk66
Why would anyone not have that --sector align option when converting .wav to flac

Also, looking at how the sizes of both the fixed and recoding using the --sector align option are identical, feralicious' comment that that decoding SBE tracks to wav and then re-encoding them to flac using align on sector boundaries isn't the correct way to fix files is incorrect
Okay, no fair sneaking in posts while I'm experimenting. That's as bad as editing your posts since mine looks to be obsolete now.

So then where did I get the idea that this was not an okay way to fix SBEs? Huh? Will somebody pleas find that damn thread???

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-26, 03:42 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: SBE Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Oh geez... now I just realized that my reasoning powers may be off. Because if you fix in shntool from flac > flac you are going to have different wavs. But that's from doing a fix, not from encoding. It seems to me that if you encode a file from wav to flac when you decode it it should match the wav that was the input file for the encode. But maybe it is doing a proper fix. Hell, maybe this whole post doesn't mean a damn thing and the experiment was useless.

WELL I DID THE WORK AND I'M PUTTING IN FOR THE CREDIT DAMMIT!!!

I need to go back to bed.
haha

I'm quite positive that I'm right. I'll be correcting a set in the next day or two so I will do it by decompressing to WAV then using the FLAC frontend sector align to set the record straight.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble