The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-10, 02:49 PM
El Gringo Mas Escandoloso
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

Do you play/check your discs after burning them?

I guess this is a Technobabble question although I'm not sure...

After you burn a show to CD do you listen to it or briefly check it that it plays right before deleting it (if you do delete it, or back it up or whatever). I always just pop it in my CD player, skip to random tracks to make sure it plays fine, then usually delete the files off my hard drive to save space. I always do it to save space, although in the couple hundred shows I've burned in the last couple months I never heard any "issue" when I went to check the CD. So do people here check or listen to their CDs before moving or delete the audio files? I want to ask because I have a few hundred shows to burn (no joke) which is of course gonna take me foreeeever and checking each disc wastes a lot of time when I have never seen an issue come up. What do you do? Am I doing it at my own peril to not check discs? (again, never had a problem). Over the long run it would save me hours upon hours of time (if checking each disc takes about 2 minutes).

Thanks

http://db.etree.org/berndawg84
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-10, 03:01 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: Do you play/check your discs after burning them?

Well, I don't ever find myself with 100's of shows to burn. I try to burn every couple of weeks to keep up. And yes, I listen to every show after I burn to cd. In fact, I listen to the complete show, not just random samples. That's why I downloaded and burned it - too listen to it. When I started out I didn't listen to them always and was really pissed after one didn't burn correctly due to a problem I was having with Feurio and I STILL haven't run across the show again. Anyone have Donald Fagen's Rock & Roll Revue, Philly Tower Theater 1992?

This works OK for me because I listen in my car on my commute so I go through a couple a day that way.

Youse roll the dice and takes yer chances otherwise if you delete the files.
Old 2007-10-10, 03:53 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I rarely burn to CD anymore. I always burn to data DVD and always verify the shows through the fingerprints/checksums. Sometimes I still burn a CD to listen to in my car and I figure if there is a problem, since I backed the files up, I could always burn another.

Old 2007-10-10, 04:24 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I always keep the data files and burn those with verification or else dump them on a large external hd unaltered.

sometimes I find myself in a situation where I need an audio cdr for playback and in that case I will burn it that way... but audio cdr is not a great way to store shows. You can't re-post a show by re-ripping from an audio cdr copy of a flac set (for quality control) unless you can get it back off the disc where the ffp matches exactly again... almost impossible to do. But if you burn it as data and run test mode on the FLAC files before you trade them with ppl the everybody always have a set that's as perfect as it was when you received it, right on to the 100th person who gets a copy.

so I highly recommend that you keep the data files and burn additional audio cdrs for your own personal use in your car or whatever.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-10-10, 05:32 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

What's a CD??

K_K
Old 2007-10-10, 06:19 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

In addition to the above, when you burn audio CDs you could burn at a speed of like 8X, instead of the highest possible. There is less of a chance of error this way than if you're burning at ultra high speed.
Old 2007-10-11, 12:09 AM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

I see...

If people don't burn them to audio CDs, then you just listen to it off your hard drive or external HD?? I don't see how I could do that. I have about 200 gigs of shows on my laptop HD and an external HD combined. In theory I could buy another external HD and dump everything on there, but then I could only use my computer to listen to the shows...which seems pointless. I mean, does everyone here really have a good speaker set-up for their computer? I highly doubt it. Even with like $200 computer speakers, live shows don't sound that good on them. Since they can be kinda boomy or the treble can be low, you really need a decent stereo system to really get the best quality listen. And backing all shows up on data discs just uses up a hell of a lot of discs...

Like Tubular here has 404 gigs d/led, that's 100 data DVDs! It'd be tough to go through all the discs just to listen to something...I guess I just like being able to listen to them on an audio CD. To each their own

Sure five, if I'm ever going to re-seed a show I'd need the original data files...I do have some shows backed up in original format because I like them, or because they are rare etc, but I would be buying hundreds of blank DVDs in addition to hundreds of blank CD-Rs. I don't have THAT much money hehe. thanks for the replies though. I'm surprised at how many people don't burn stuff to audio CDs. That means you're forced to listen to everything on your computer with a probably mediocre sound system.

Old 2007-10-11, 12:22 AM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

I don't even watch/listen to most of what I download these days. folders fill up, burn to disc, add to db.etree.org list. repeat process. I might listen to two shows a week, out of the 25+ that I download.
Old 2007-10-11, 01:01 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The best DVD+Rs (8X Taiyo Yuden) are only about $45 for 100. Plus there are even better deals for 2nd class media. www.supermediastore.com

Do you have a DVD-Audio capable player? You can burn about 7 hours of CD quality audio to DVD+R as DVD-A discs with DVD-Audiofile (free proggy): http://24bit.turtleside.com

Or if you only have a DVD-Video player you can burn audio only DVD-Video discs with this ($40):
http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/
The only drawback is that you have to upsample 16/44.1 to 16/48 for DVD-V. You probably won't hear much difference between 16/44.1 and upsampled 16/44.1 > 16/48, if at all, esp. if you use a high quality resampler, like this free one:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/
You can also burn 24/48 and 24/96 to DVD-V.

Or you can get a receiver with an optical and/or coaxial input, and get a soundcard with an optical and/or coaxial output, and run a cable from your comp to the receiver, playing back your FLACs with foobar2000. Or I think some receivers come with USB 2.0 inputs, so you could just run a USB from your comp to the receiver with no need to buy a new soundcard.

If you burn enough audio CDs, it's tough to find that one show to listen to, unless you sort them by date and band. You are counting on others to back up the shows as data so they can be reseeded at lossless torrent sites. Some of the new Denon receivers support FLAC, so maybe soon there will be DVD players that support FLAC playback. That would be perfect, you would have a playable disc for a standalone, and a data backup disc all in one.
Old 2007-10-11, 02:24 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

berndawg84, all you have to do is get a decent sound card then hook that up to your amp and your computer+amp is now as good of a sound system as your standalone cd player+amp. even a little better since you can listen to 24bit, which a standard cd player cannot. just take whatever cables are hooking your cd player up to your stereo and use them to hook your computer up to your stereo system. then you don't have to wait for the cds to finish burning, just put it in foobar/winamp and hit 'play'.

1000 data dvds worth of audio cdrs is gonna be something like 15,000 audio cdrs. FIFTEEN THOUSAND!

anyhow, its up to you, just wanted to give you another option that doesn't take up so much space in your house. Large external HDs are pretty cheap these days, and you can pick up an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard (or similar) for about $120 these days.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-10-11, 03:57 AM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

lol 1000 data DVDs totally full would be about 4,000 gigs of music. But I guess there are people with that much, I've seen over a terabyte of d/ls for some people...maybe not 4TB though.

Maybe some day when I have a lot more money I will look into the suggestions posted here. When all is said and done, if I burn to Audio CD all the shows I have right now, that would be about 1200 CDs or so total that I would have. That is a lot indeed (I have about 500 now). I bought those cheap CD binders off supermediastore.com with 500 CD storage. Ever since I started buying CDs when I was little I always had them in CD binders...that's what I like to use the most, I don't like cases or storage racks etc. hmm. I dunno. Thanks for the thoughts,

Old 2007-10-11, 10:37 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytravis
I don't even watch/listen to most of what I download these days. folders fill up, burn to disc, add to db.etree.org list. repeat process. I might listen to two shows a week, out of the 25+ that I download.
Does anyone else watch or listen to them? If not, why are you downloading them?

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-10-11, 03:12 PM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC
Does anyone else watch or listen to them? If not, why are you downloading them?

Regards, Graham

archiving purposes and addiction, more than anything else. I've got 726 DVD's and 400+ CDR of tradeable lossless and video. been collecting music since 2002. I took a two year break from downloading, or the numbers would be alot higher.
Old 2007-10-11, 04:33 PM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

^indeed, the addiction factor is high. I've gotten about 700-800 shows in a matter of only about 7 months total. Just lots and lots of d/ing, more than you can keep up with burning on a steady basis. As you see in my sig, I still have a few hundred to burn and catalogue hah. They're sitting on my HD and an external HD too. It's bad but eh, what can you do. And if I have ones that I dislike or won't listen to in the end I just plan on doing a big trade for blanks at some point.

But I agree with the whole, why d/l and not listen to them thing. That's just crazy. Granted, I can't keep up with the listening to the amount of stuff I d/l, but hell, I have years

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble