The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-07, 03:01 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

dvd playback problems

Some stuff that ive transferred from my mini dv cam seems to have playback problems.The original tapes seem ok so its something thats happening during the burning process( i assume).When i play the finished dvd back i get a short digital/eletrical/spike?? kind of sound,sometimes with a slight snap in the picture and sometimes without.This has happened with the last 3 projects ive burnt,it hasnt happened with all discs,but enough to make me think there might be a problem.Could it be the discs im using or something serious??.Anyone any ideas at all. [Question]
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-07, 05:20 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: dvd playback problems

what do you mean by short digital/electrical/spike? with the sound or picture or both?

how are you capturing? [directly from cam>comp, miniDV DVR deck, etc]
what system are ya running? [OS, processor speed, amount of RAM, etc]
what program(s) do you use for cature, edit, compressing to mpeg2, dvd author?

i ask because it could be occurring at numerous points in the process, typically issues arise at either capture [dropped frames, etc], during rendering, or during compression...
Old 2007-05-07, 05:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've experienced a high frequency sound with footage shot on the XL2 before [recording audio to cam]...a sort of high-pitched static/glitchy noise...after a while, it sounds like alien robot ants crawling under yer skin

its due to the mics being set too high...basically, when running a typical audio rig i like my peaks hittin around -3 or -2dB...but when capturing to the XL2, i've found you want the peaks much lower, around -12dB...basically the glitchy sound is digital clipping

the only other thing i can think of is that the heads on the cam/plyback device are dirty...when the last time you cleaned em?
Old 2007-05-07, 06:01 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Ive never cleaned them,maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea.From what i can hear though the original tapes are fine and glitch free.Ive only had this problem since i have used some cheaper discs,which is why i thought it might be them.I will have to get a tape cleaner for my cam.Also i filmed a friends band,and the discs came out ok,but when i made a direct copy,it had pixelation,so i was told by my friend.Im using nero which has always worked great for me,i capture from cam to nero using usb and that it.It saves as avi and i just create chapters etc as ive always done.Ive never had any real problems til now.
Old 2007-05-07, 06:17 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

could be the discs, could be dirty heads, could be a combination of a few things...but i'd be willing to bet its Nero...no offense to you bro, but Nero is awful when it comes to capture, and even worse when it comes to compressing the raw avi to mpeg2

ya might wanna look into getting a better program and see if that doesn't help...and yeah, you should also clean those heads, *especially* if you use different brands of miniDV tapes [if you do, i'd recommend stopping immediately -- pick one brand, be it Sony or JVC or whatever, and stick with it exclusively]
Old 2007-05-07, 06:36 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

Nero has always been really reliable,and of course not everyone shares this opinion.There will always be others saying one program is awful...you should use this( insert program name).Or you shouldnt really use this program,as its going to give awful results.Ive seen quite a few audience shot dvds on dime etc,and imo mine is as good quality wise.Also mine has the upper hand as its not shaky as hell.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble