The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-08-20, 05:29 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

For Audio Cassettes does Selecting wrong type I II IV ruin tape?

Hi there, this is a question probably easy for some of you:

if I select type 2 and 70 micro-s on my deck when the tape is actually type 1 and 120 micro-s, does this ruin the tape?

I'm concerned because I want to know that the tape is still fine.

----

Secondly the reason why I ask if it "ruins" the tape is because when I did the first transfer from the deck to the computer, everything sounded good.

Then I decided to raise the volume and forgot to switch it back to type1/120. After playing the tape into the computer for a while, I realize at some point the tape sounded "squeaky" "muddied" "distorted."

To check if it was the tape deck (Nakamichi BX-300) or the tape, I put the tape into my walkman and it sounded fine. So it's probably not the tape that's ruined but something funny about the Nakamichi at some point in the tape.

Your thoughts? Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-08-20, 06:33 AM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

Re: For Audio Cassettes does Selecting wrong type I II IV ruin tape?

The "Type" selector isn't going to ruin your tape, it just won't sound as good (IMO).

The different tape type selections are set for different bias and equalization for each specific tape type to make it sound better based on the specific properties of each tapes material makeup. .

There are many many variables there that could cause your problems. I would really suggest having your deck gone over by someone and brought back to spec before transferring the tapes. it gets pricey, but if you have a lot to do, and they are valuable to you, it's well worth it.

I use Willy Herman in california for my repairs and calibrations. Good guy, great work, and much cheaper the ESL Labratories ect.
-------------------
Live Music Preservation Project (aka LMPP) - ID's assinged for all artists and formats etree won't handle
www.livemusicpreservationproject.com
-------------------
Please use em and keep the trading pool clean
Old 2009-08-20, 06:57 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

the 'type' switch merely controls a filter (eq) so that could not ruin your tape (good news)

but I can't fathom what the problem is with the squeking... other tapes are playing fine on the squeaky deck? I would try re-shelling the tape with a fresh XL-II casing the ff all the way, rewind all the way, cross my fingers, hit play... :~

Of course clean & degauss (pretty sure you got that )

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-08-20, 10:10 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for your respsonses. The tapes are transferred okay the first time so I am not desperate to make it better.

However, here's another question. If the tape is running in the deck and I yank out a cable or move the deck while it's running, will that really screw up the system. I know you can't do that with computer hard drives (or can you?).

Anyways, many thanks.
Old 2009-08-21, 05:09 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

You sound as though you want to harm the tape.

If you remove the power cable while the deck is running in play or record mode, and leave it that way for a while, the pressure between the capstan and pinch roller, where they grip the tape, will eventually deform the pinch roller, and leave an indentation in the tape. Short answer is 'don't do this'.

Removing an audio cable whilst the deck is running will not damage the tape in any way.

If you move the deck sharply enough, it's unlikely, but you could derail things enough to cause physical damage to the tape, but you'd really have to try hard to do so, I think. Again, the short answer is 'don't do this'

Does this help?
Old 2009-08-30, 05:04 AM
4.28 GB/21.28 GB/4.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
You sound as though you want to harm the tape.

If you remove the power cable while the deck is running in play or record mode, and leave it that way for a while, the pressure between the capstan and pinch roller, where they grip the tape, will eventually deform the pinch roller, and leave an indentation in the tape. Short answer is 'don't do this'.

Removing an audio cable whilst the deck is running will not damage the tape in any way.

If you move the deck sharply enough, it's unlikely, but you could derail things enough to cause physical damage to the tape, but you'd really have to try hard to do so, I think. Again, the short answer is 'don't do this'

Does this help?
noob to this website says WOW people know what a capstan and pinchroller are
@OP the numbers refer to a noise reduction format (MOST likely dolby) by playing a cassette in the wrong format should not physically harm it.... it'll just screw with the spectra/EQ.... as for squeaking, it SEEMS like a physical problem with the tape deck.....

as for unplugging stuff.... NEVER!!!! I, at least have WAY too much money invested in my gear to potentially destroy it... ALWAYS power up/down your gear in the correct sequence
AKG/Neuman/Schoeps/DPA mics > Neve or Hardy Preamps > Prisim DSD A/D conv. > sonic solutions software (mac of course)... ALL cabled by Synergistic Research Designer's Reference cables... shockmount racks by MTCases...
Hi-Fi playback: Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 (no comments, I just can;t get a good price on SACD)>S.R. P2>Coleman level controller>S.R. P1> Genelec 1031AP

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble