The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-11, 10:20 AM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

Comcast threatening to cut my service?!

Ok everyone, need some advice, or help. I got a call today from my provider Comcast, saying that they flagged my internet account for "excessive usuage" because I downloaded too much last month. Pretty much because of using this site and other torrent sites. And that they can, if it continues, terminate my service. And that it states in their acceptable usuage policy about bandwith usage. Can they do this? The last thing I want is to get my service suspended. have people heard of this before?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-11, 10:36 AM
389.16 GB/867.01 GB/2.23

Re: Comcast threatening to cut my service?!

damn I have comcast. I was worried for just a second until I realized that I've downloaded 131GB in about 2 1/2 years... not 2 1/2 months. Slow it down some. I don't think there is much you can do, some people have gotten letters from ISP's in the past, most have ignored it without consequence (I haven't read of anyone having their service disconnected, except in Canada, that I remember). I've seen mentioned in here somewhere having a downloading buddy, you trade shows (you download one that you both want and they download one that you both want and then trade). You can look into upgrading your service, will cost you some money though... There is DSL, not too familiar with that and that new thing fios (?sp) but that isn't as widely available as broadband.

Have you checked out the vines and trading sections? It might not be as fast as downloading but you still get the shows. good luck.
Old 2007-04-11, 10:37 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Angry Re: Comcast threatening to cut my service?!

they can and will. it will take me a moment to locate the link, but beware!

----
edit

weblink:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03...s_comcast_cap/

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.

Last edited by trustthex; 2007-04-11 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add weblink
Old 2007-04-11, 10:51 AM
652.25 GB/426.14 GB/0.65

Yeah I alreayd actually have a downloading buddy, and actually I was thinking of cutting back some anyway. I was just shocked when I got the call. I mean that's fine, I was just wondering if others have had this problem. I have been trying to snail mail trade more anyway, LOL!
Old 2007-04-11, 10:58 AM
389.16 GB/867.01 GB/2.23

http://www.physorg.com/news94981460.html

trustthex got me wondering. I found that. There still isn't a number to go by but towards the bottom, if you want to try and figure it out it gives you a very vague idea on how much you can use I know I can't figure it out.

Sounds like DSL doesn't limit your up/downloading. Is the fios in your area? It's been a while but someone I've met on here has it and is happy as can be with it. If I remember right it's about the same amount of money as comcast but better up/download speeds. I think it's through verizon.

I haven't downloaded a lot lately but my kids are playing a lot of games on here, now I'm wondering how much I'm actually using.
Old 2007-04-11, 03:12 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've had both...if i remember correctly, you get higher u/l speeds with cable than with DSL...but it really all depends on yer package and whats available in yer area...

one plus to DSL--i haven't noticed as much fluctuation in speeds with DSL, due to an influx of people online in the local area, was much worse when we had cable...you could always tell when everyone got home from work and got online...and i don't think most DSL providers shape and limit like the cable providers

the worst however are the satellite providers...expensive as hell, not much better than dial-up, and more than 1 or 2 torrents a month would've had my pipes bottlenecked...absolute shite
Old 2007-04-11, 04:34 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Mostly cable gives better download speeds. DSL has higher upload speeds (but lower download in relation to cable). AAR is right about the pipe getting squeezed when others come on line.

BTW, switching to a higher Comcast plan will not give you a better download quota from other reports I've read. Their "enforcement dept" will recommend that you do so...and when you speak to the sales rep they will give you the same vague information on what your monthly quota is....you'll then get a call from them about going over THAT limit too (that they won't tell you what it is).

I remember when I got my first call from Comcasts "Security Dept" about excessive downloads. To be fair, I deserved it as I really did go a bit crazy for about a month for a reason I won't go into here....Anyways, I told them that I had just added a wireless router that I had forgotten to secure and that someone had hacked into my network (those nasty hackers)....and that I had fixed my router. I settled back down after that.

Good luck and just watch your downloads. I will say from past experience tho, that considering the amounts I've downloaded at times in the past, that if you did get a call from Comcast that you probably were going over "reasonable" limits. Comcast gets snippy about stupid things at times, but sometimes it may (sorta) be justified. I have known complete abusers before in the past who just didn't take others into consideration (and I'm not putting the originator in this area, just commenting that there are some folks who go far and beyond).
Old 2007-04-11, 04:39 PM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

the most frustrating part, is that the limit varies from area to area. luckily I've never had a complaint from them, and I've been using comcast for almost four years. for the last year, I've been consistently using around 250-300GB combined up/download per month. I know one day my luck will run out, but I'm prepared to switch to dsl whenever they cut me off.
Old 2007-04-11, 05:34 PM
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61

look up your TOS it will clearly state the amount allowed.

I'm on Rogers (canada) and they cap around 80gb/month on the smaller packages and 100gb/month on the larger.

Go FIOS if it's available in your area 1-4mg up/sec and 20mb/sec down 9(or so they claim)

Just stay within the allowed guidlines and you're fine..if you don't it's only a matter of time.
Old 2007-04-11, 05:51 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadu
look up your TOS it will clearly state the amount allowed.
Comcast does NOT state the amount in their TOS. That has been a running issue for a long time with customers. You're welcome to check out comcast.net.
Old 2007-04-11, 05:57 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

...and I'm sorry if I sound a bit out of joint on that last reply. It's been a point of irritation to me for a long time also....
Old 2007-04-12, 07:40 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

I have Road Runner and have never heard a peep about my usage but I have seen a lot of reports about ComCast limiting people’s usage. I’ve downloaded 800-900 gigs. I would go with them if you have it in your area. I have been, more or less, constantly downloading and uploading shows for 3 years and they haven’t said a thing. It costs about $40 -50/month (I’m not sure exactly as we have Time Warner cable as well and it’s all rolled into one bill – guess I should look more closely!).

Rob
Old 2007-04-12, 08:09 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

my fios connection was 15Mb/s down - 2Mb/s up for 44 bucks a month, if you can get fios, get it
Old 2007-04-12, 02:54 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

surprise surprise, fios is not available in my area...hell, DSL just became available last year, and there's still no cable service out here...but the view is great
Old 2007-04-12, 03:16 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

I have AT&T/Yahoo DSL and the up speeds are less than cable ISP's but you can get equal download speeds - I just can't pay $50/month for an ISP.

You can encrypt your connections in uTorrent and probably other BT programs. Try this and they will probably not notice your traffic.

FWIW, I think AT&T is getting wise to heavy BT traffic. I was having connectivity problems where my modem was on and all light indicators looked OK but WinXP would indicate no connection so I reboot the modem and all was well, for a few hours and then the same problem. After a week of this I give up and called AT&T's CSR's in India thinking I had a modem going bad (it was over a year old and on 24/7 the entire year). Well, long story short, I bought another modem and everything was fine for about a month and the same starting happening again. I set uTorrent for encryption and everything has been normal for the last week or so.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble