The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-21, 06:52 AM
205.26 GB/200.80 GB/0.98

Uploading Rates vs. # of Torrents

What is a good rule of thumb for number of Torrents being seeded at the sametime with relation to maintaining a good upload speeds? I have Comcast and typically I can achieve about 45kbs on one seeding. What happens if I add more than one? does it slow my speeds down?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-21, 08:37 AM
472.51 GB/532.25 GB/1.13

Re: Uploading Rates vs. # of Torrents

The more torrents you have uploading at the same time then your upload speed will be shared amongst each one. If your upload rate is 45 kilobytes per second then I would recommend not having more than 2 uploads at once. But it all depends on which torrent needs most speed.

With most torrent applications (eg. uTorrent) you can specify the maximum upload speed of each torrent you're seeding. If you are the only seeder, then allocate all your bandwidth to that torrent until there are more seeds.
Old 2007-07-21, 09:05 AM
205.26 GB/200.80 GB/0.98

Is there anyway to increase your upload or is capped by the individual ISP?

I have Comcast.

Thanks
Old 2007-07-21, 09:36 AM
472.73 GB/545.99 GB/1.15

I've have Comcast and use utorrent 1.6. I can usually seed torrents that have alot of leechers, but when there are like 1 or 2, and I have utorrent set to 25 up I usually can only get like 12 up. I am not firewalled, and never show up that way on any trackers, but unless I am downloading something from the tracker, it's hard for others to connect to me, so I seed something while I'm downloading . I'm getting Verizon Fios 20/5 service starting next wed., so I'll be able to finally get my ratio back to something a little more respectable. Can't wait to dump Comcast.

Forgot the question doh. Yes Comcast caps your upload to 768k and the best I ever get is usually 50kbs up without completely slowing down my other internet activities (web pages, IRC, Usenet).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble