The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-09-13, 04:57 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re: Trader's Little Helper

It doesn't work with TLH. The pin menu it doesn't appearing and the drag n drop function is not working.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-09-13, 07:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
It doesn't work with TLH. The pin menu it doesn't appearing and the drag n drop function is not working.
Will try to test/fix next weekend. Not sure if I'll have time for this.
Old 2010-09-13, 07:35 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

OK man. Thanks for support.
Old 2010-09-13, 12:42 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
@ feralicious:

Never experienced this weirdness... totally confusing, especially as µTorrent is reported to be involved. Things I'd try to localize the problem:

- Check for viruses and other malware.
- Check whether there are any instances of flac.exe running when TLH is closed.
- Check whether .flac file extension is associated with µTorrent.
- Uninstall Webroot, TLH and µTorrent completey. Re-install all three programs (latest TLH release here).
Thanks for the fast reply.

I always hear that bolded response from the techs that have to come fix my Avid at work. Somehow I always manage to get problems no one has ever seen before!

I will try all that later today, after I'm fully awake. I shouldn't have any virus or spyware as I'm running Webroot, SuperAnti-Spyware (real time) and then run AdAware and Malwarebytes Antimalware scans as well.

Does TLH ever want anything to connect for updating? I believe this was the first time I've used it since installing Webroot. It will be interesting to see what happens when I reinstall all.

Side note: I'm running Vista that came with my laptop. I'm thinking of downgrading to XP since I have that already, do you think it's worth it to go to Win 7 instead?

Old 2010-09-13, 06:35 PM
250.15 GB/491.13 GB/1.96

OMG Someone pinch me. Please.

Go to windows 7.
Old 2010-09-14, 12:21 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious View Post
... Does TLH ever want anything to connect for updating?...
TLH comes with a Check for update function that can be called via the Help menu. This function uses port 80 (most often used by browsers / HTTP). I don't know the specifics of your firewall but you may need to create a port rule so TLH isn't blocked when you want it to check for an update. Note that TLH _never_ tries to connect to the web automatically (you always have to go to Help > Check for update for that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious View Post
... Side note: I'm running Vista that came with my laptop. I'm thinking of downgrading to XP since I have that already, do you think it's worth it to go to Win 7 instead?
If you like Windows Vista as a whole (new look, new functions, and so on), IMO it is worth to upgrade to Win 7 (it's the _real_ Vista). But if you don't need all the new stuff I'd prefer XP.
Old 2010-09-30, 02:22 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

I just find out how you can pin TLH in the Win7 taskbar. Just rename the Traders Little Helper.exe to something else. It seems that the word 'Help' is one of those words in Win7 that can't be pinned.
Old 2010-09-30, 09:07 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
I just find out how you can pin TLH in the Win7 taskbar. Just rename the Traders Little Helper.exe to something else. It seems that the word 'Help' is one of those words in Win7 that can't be pinned.
I know about this Microsoft weirdness. But it's _not_ the reason for the pin problem (at least at first/second sight) because the TLH executable is named tralih.exe from the very beginning. I guess that Win 7 not only looks for the help string in the name of the executable but in other properties of the executable too. Until now I do not have a solution for the pin problem. And AFAIK you cannot "force" a program to be pinable via code (but maybe someone here knows the magic trick (if there is any)).
Old 2010-09-30, 10:13 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

I think that happens because in the start menu the program is named Trader's Little Helper.
Old 2010-09-30, 10:45 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
I think that happens because in the start menu the program is named Trader's Little Helper.
No, that's not the (only) reason, unfortunately. Go to the TLH installation folder, right-click tralih.exe, and select the Pin option from the context-menu. Absolutely nothing will happen . BTW, Microsoft claims that only the name of the executable is searched for the help string. I really don't get it.
Old 2010-09-30, 11:01 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Though it works if you make a shortcut on the desktop then pin the program. It's very weird indeed.
Old 2010-10-19, 10:45 PM
85.99 GB/223.84 GB/2.60

This might be a question that has been answered, but for the life of me I cannot find. If so, please forgive me!

I think I know of someone who is testing .flac files converted to .wav files for evidence of MPEG... can you speak to why a genuinely recorded .wav file that has been converted to flac, then back to .wav might produce a report that the audio came from MPEG??

Thanks !!
Old 2010-10-20, 09:33 AM
973.67 GB/2.99 TB/3.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
This might be a question that has been answered, but for the life of me I cannot find. If so, please forgive me!

I think I know of someone who is testing .flac files converted to .wav files for evidence of MPEG... can you speak to why a genuinely recorded .wav file that has been converted to flac, then back to .wav might produce a report that the audio came from MPEG??

Thanks !!
Most likely a false positive. That's why it is recommended when checking for lossy you use Cool Edit Pro to check the spectral and frequency analysis preferably zoomed in on a 2 second area of the file. Also a file that has been recorded on a DAT recorder with a 16K drop off may be confused for a lossy file when indeed it is not.
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Old 2010-10-20, 03:59 PM
85.99 GB/223.84 GB/2.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgiggles1 View Post
Most likely a false positive. That's why it is recommended when checking for lossy you use Cool Edit Pro to check the spectral and frequency analysis preferably zoomed in on a 2 second area of the file. Also a file that has been recorded on a DAT recorder with a 16K drop off may be confused for a lossy file when indeed it is not.
Interesting... is there any information to tell what TLH actually tests?? If there is a likelihood of false-positives, then this would not necessarily be a "go-to" tool for testing if FLACs are sourced from MPEG then would it?? as you say, the only way to truly tell is to see where the freq. roll-off exists....
So in your opinion is spectral analysis the ONLY definitive way to test?

Do you think the false positive comes from the codecs involved in going wav>flac>wav and are leaving some sort of artifact that TLH is sensing??

There is a site right now that is promoting the TLH test on files that have gone wav>flac>wav to test if they are not from MPEG.... I posted a recording that went from wav to flac, using the TLH codecs, and that very recording tested positive for MPEG in the TLH test!!

I might be the only one, but I stand by my statement that flac is NOT lossless and converting it back to a wav for anything other than a qualitative exam is worthless....

This is very bizarre and I am trying to decide if I should challenge this method since it seems very flawed to be the definitive test for their overall QC....

Any thoughts??
Old 2010-10-20, 04:33 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

False positives usually occur due to the source material. Something with little upper frequency info appears to be lossy. And even a spectral isn't a fail-safe, it can be subjective.

Were you the source for the wav files you tested? If not, there could have been a lossy step in the lineage in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper