The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-06-26, 04:36 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Re: Wanting to understand FLAC ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
The shows are put on a DVD because a DVD holds 4.4 GB and a CD only holds about 700 MB.

As for how to copy it:
- Put it in your computer
- Drag the folders onto your harddrive
- Verify the files copied correctly with the fingerprints (ffp) or checksums (md5 or st5)
- Send the vine on it's way

Now for you to do something with them:
- To play, use a player from our Software List (link in my sig)
- To convert, use TLH or xACT from our Software List
- To burn, use your burning software, search for a guide in Technobabble for your particular software if you don't know how to burn a CD

You may want to look through our FAQ. There is a lot of stuff in there about Audio Trading.

Has anyone ever received a DVD audio vine and your PC won't recognise the disc? Other people have had it without any problems at all.

I have had other DVD audio disc and never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-06-26, 04:58 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

My home DVD player recognises the disc as having 1 picture and 0 audio.

All I see is a pic of Warren Haynes and some other guy.
Old 2007-06-26, 05:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

We are talking about DVD discs with flac audio files on them, not a DVD-A. If yours isn't playing correctly, you should probably post in the Vine thread and see if others have had the problem and if maybe they know the solution or what may be wrong. (Does it play on your computer?)

Old 2007-06-26, 05:58 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Quote:
We are talking about DVD discs with flac audio files on them, not a DVD-A. If yours isn't playing correctly, you should probably post in the Vine thread and see if others have had the problem and if maybe they know the solution or what may be wrong. (Does it play on your computer?)

I haven't had any problem in the past with Flac or Shn files on a DVD.

My computer doesn't even think there is a disc in it.

The one before me one on the vine didn't have any problem.
Old 2007-06-26, 06:06 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

So is this a DVD full of flacs or a DVD-A? (You confused me when you talked about putting it into your DVD player.) Are you on a PC, and the person before you on a Mac? Or, is the disc a DVD+R and your computer only recognizes DVD-R? Or, is it a DVD+/-RW and your's doesn't read RW? Or is it dual layer and you can't read DL?

(I'm splitting this into it's own thread.)

Old 2007-06-26, 06:23 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Quote:
So is this a DVD full of flacs or a DVD-A? (You confused me when you talked about putting it into your DVD player.) Are you on a PC, and the person before you on a Mac? Or, is the disc a DVD+R and your computer only recognizes DVD-R? Or, is it a DVD+/-RW and your's doesn't read RW? Or is it dual layer and you can't read DL?

(I'm splitting this into it's own thread.)

I never said it was a DVD-A. Bear with me on trying to explain.....I'm still learning on this stuff.

My home DVD player will play almost everything including DVD-A. I have played DVD's full of audio only on the home DVD player.
When I put this disc ( after my PC acted like there wasn't a disc in it) in the home DVD player and the menu told me there was 1 picture and 0 audio files..........it recognised the jpec pic of Warren Haynes.

My computer doesn't recognise the AAB 05 DVD audio vine. I hope this is a little clearer. Thanks!!
Old 2007-06-26, 06:35 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Can't read DVD

I assume you are talking about this vine: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=39121

(I didn't know DVD players would play flac, that is why I though maybe you were talking about a DVD-A since we had mentioned "Audio DVD" and.... well, my mind just took off in a different direction like it sometimes does! )

I have received discs before in a Loop that I couldn't read and yet others could read. Since the person who then reseeded it was also on a Mac (like me), I couldn't conclude that it was a Mac vs PC thing (the original seeder burned it on a PC). My computer also reads +/-R and +/-RW and DL, so I didn't think it was any of those either, and it wasn't a DL. I never did figure out why (although someone who uses linux also couldn't read it), so I just had it reseeded.

I would ask the person before you to reseed it to you.

Old 2007-06-26, 07:03 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

Come to think of it....................my home DVD player can read and play a DVD full of MP3's.................not anything from TTD.

Still my PC should read it. I'll ask for a reseed or just send it on to the next person.

Thanks for all your help Lynne!!!
Old 2007-06-28, 09:44 PM
TTD VIP
3.00 TB/13.22 TB/4.41

I'm still baffled. I sent the Allman Brothers vine on its way.

Every other audio DVD vine...Rush, Heaven and Hell, Zep,,,etc worked without a problem.

Cheers.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble