The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-09-16, 01:52 PM
pernizzo
73.19 GB/37.05 GB/0.51

Vegas 6.0/DVD Architect 3.0 questions

Hi y'all. I'm currently in the process of adding new audio to existing DVDs, and am having trouble with a few things. I was able to synch up the new audio track (4-4-98 livephish download, for personal use ONLY) with the video, render it to MPEG4, and that is about it. I wanted to use the existing menus from the copy of the show I already have, and set up chapters on the new video to coincide with the chapters on the existing menu. I'm just learning my way around Vegas and DVD Arch, so any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!!!

Dave P.
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-09-17, 12:21 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: Vegas 6.0/DVD Architect 3.0 questions

mpeg4 is dump... use mpg2. you're not gonna be able to use the old menus. I don't think. (you might but not with dvda) Don't distribute movies you ripped from dvds. (not just the ones with LP but all) The masters are out there.
Old 2005-09-17, 01:11 PM
VBT Mod
TTD VIP
9.60 TB/15.17 TB/1.58

Re: Vegas 6 rendering to HD? Need a little help

if it's not shot in HD, there is no reason to render in HD.
Old 2005-09-17, 01:16 PM
pernizzo
73.19 GB/37.05 GB/0.51

this is all for PERSONAL use only.

i made mpeg2 copies as well as the mpeg4 ones, so i'm all set there. how do i create chapters for individual songs?

dp
"I think one of the things about American culture is that it really doesn't matter too much where you live. All you need is an antenna and a modem, and you're pretty much in the mainstream." David Foster Wallace
Old 2005-09-17, 01:35 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i use DVDSP, so i can't give specific keystrokes, but...basically

Import the mpeg2 into DVDArch

drag it yer timeline, then move to each spot in the timeline where you want to create a chapter point, and select Create chapter marker from yer options in command bar...be sure to set yer first chapter marker at the beginning of the video

you then continue as you normally would regarding menu buttons, pointing the buttons to the proper place, etc...
Old 2005-09-17, 03:48 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpernal
this is all for PERSONAL use only.

i made mpeg2 copies as well as the mpeg4 ones, so i'm all set there. how do i create chapters for individual songs?

dp
I think these have been done or are in the process of being done from the master tapes...just to let you know (unless you just want practice with dvd editing and you don't plan on trading it. It's probably better not to pollute the trading pool by synching lp to generated video) Have fun with your project!

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-09-17, 11:52 PM
105.73 GB/73.74 GB/0.70

Re: Software for making DVD's

I use Ulead DVD Pro, it's pretty easy to use and it can take you like 20 minutes to reauthor a DVD and they look great. I make my own artwork, but like I said, once u know how to use it, it`s pretty fast.

Here`s a couple of examples:
Lacuna Coil - Ozzfest
Can't find what you are looking for? Request it at our forum.
Old 2005-09-18, 01:00 AM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpernal
Hi y'all. I'm currently in the process of adding new audio to existing DVDs, and am having trouble with a few things. I was able to synch up the new audio track (4-4-98 livephish download, for personal use ONLY) with the video, render it to MPEG4, and that is about it. I wanted to use the existing menus from the copy of the show I already have, and set up chapters on the new video to coincide with the chapters on the existing menu. I'm just learning my way around Vegas and DVD Arch, so any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!!!

Dave P.
[email protected]
You would need the original .dar file (created by DVD Architect) in order to reuse the menus. Actually, even with that, you'd have a problem, because you'd need the original clips / stills used in the original menus.

To get started - open DVD A and right click on the work area and click on "insert media" to add your main mpeg2. An avatar with text below it will appear on the screen. If you want to get rid of the avatar (I only use text base menu buttons) right click on it and go to button options and choose accordingly.

If you set your chapter points in Vegas Video (highly recommended and much easier than doing it in DVD A), when you right click on the mpeg2 avatar/text in the main work area and select "insert scene selection menu" all the chapter points will be included. By doing the "insert scene selection menu" a second avatar w/ text will appear. Double click that and it will take you to the scene/song selection menu. Arrange things in there as you wish.

In the menu page properties (right side of work area) you will see where you select the menu video (or still) and audio. If you select video (an mpeg2 clip) you also have to select the same clip for audio.

These are the basics - there's a lot more to it. I learned how to use it by reading the manual - which I highly recommend. You can ask questions forever - but you'll just get little bits and pieces. It's all fully explained in the manual. Also Sony has a forum for each program at its website and just about every question you could ever imagine has been asked there. Just go there and use the search function.

Cheers,

Randy
Old 2005-09-27, 09:45 AM
0.00 KB/5.38 GB/Inf.

Dual Layer DVD's & the layer break

I'm working on my first dual layer dvd and I'm running into an issue setting the layer break where I want it. Ideally I'd like it to fall between songs, but apparently that's not possible with the show I'm working on.

I'm working on a mac, using final cut pro & dvd studio pro but I'd love to hear some replies from PC users, too. What's your opinion on the layer break? Does it annoy you when it's in the middle of a song? Have any of you successfully gotten your layer transition to fall between songs? Does the layer break remain constant on multiple burns of the disc? I'm reading on mac forums that Toast, the best burning app for macs, doesn't recognize the dvd studio pro layer breaks and just reassigns one itself automatically. Do PC apps do the same thing. I've only downloaded and burned two DL dvd's off here (Les Claypool's FFFB @ the tabernacle and Neil Young at Bonneroo.) I haven't found the layer break in the Neil DVD, yet, but on my copy of the Les dvd, the layer break falls right near the beginning of Pigs. Is that where it falls on other people's copies or is that a result of my burning the video_ts folder with Toast? I've also noticed the layer break isn't obvious when playing the dvd in a dvd-rom drive.

For the DL dvd, I'm working on now, I'm debating whether to keep it on a DL disc with the layer break interuppting a song or if I should split it into two single layer discs and I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Old 2005-09-27, 09:52 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Dual Layer DVD's & the layer break

good ?s...can't answer ya, but i'd be interested to know some of this as well
Old 2005-09-27, 11:07 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesterthe13th
I've also noticed the layer break isn't obvious when playing the dvd in a dvd-rom drive.
Well, you just answered one of my questions. Got a DL drive awhile ago but haven't gotten around to burning DL discs...yet. I'm definitely staying tuned to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-09-27, 12:27 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

People like soybomb/outpostnorth/unidecker/teamhood may be able to help you out. They've authored some DVD9s if I recall.
Old 2005-09-27, 01:08 PM
0.00 KB/5.38 GB/Inf.

yeah, I'm hoping they pop into this thread.
Old 2005-09-27, 01:48 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Well I just subscribed to this thread.

I have another DL dvd question. I don't have one yet, but soon... soon... so I'm wondering about data vs. video dvds for DL. I always burn my dvds as data since my standalone can play them and it keeps all files intact. What are the logistics on a DL dvd for doing this and does anyone know if you can burn as data and still have it play?

Old 2005-09-27, 02:05 PM
0.00 KB/5.38 GB/Inf.

On my mac, I always burn them as data discs, both single and dual layer. I've done it ever since someone told me that choosing video dvd and dropping the video_ts caused it to change some of the files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble