The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Would you post more in the Lounge if it were more actively moderated like the rest of TTD?
Yes 33 36.67%
No 57 63.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-29, 03:35 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Why don't you visit the Lounge @ TTD? (public poll)

Because I think it will do as much for change here as the three threads in this forum have done.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-29, 03:37 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

agree
Old 2011-01-29, 03:43 PM
Rock n Roll! Yeah!
4.30 GB/3.47 GB/0.81

i doubt i'm legally old enough to vote, so i won't.

certainly the best thread i've read in years.

i reckon loads of the bullies would love a chance to start again, turn a new page, consolidate all of their aliases into a new singular identity that had no history, no gripe with anyone, nothing to prove, and no scores to settle.

but there are dark forces lurking in the site's nebulous infrastructure. if those dark forces aren't prepared to let go the past, and they are in possession of certain powers, they can push you back into the hate-fuelled shenanigans that laid waste to your reputation previously.

of course, the majority of the powerful -- often invisible -- controllers are good at what they do, and driven only by honourable intentions. but what if a rogue element were to monitor your attempt to singularize your identity and change your ways, and then purposefully drive you back into the badlands (so that you became the Clint Eastwood character in Unforgiven). you know... you wanted to climb out of the pit, to lose the aliases and get chatting nicely with some new faces about the rock n roll, the zeppelin, the jazz, but the dark forces dragged you back into the pit.

and when they dragged you back in, they grabbed your trousers and pulled them down a little, exposing some of your arse. of course, passers-by will assume you're a site-labourer or a mechanic. they won't want to know what really inspires you.

if i think back to when i first joined the site, the Lounge was a million times better than it is now. there was an edginess, but it was great fun. one big change since then (IMHO) is that the big personalities from back then don't post as much as they used to.

another change, though, and the one that i believe has led to the rise of this particular thread, is that unitiated members seem more inclined to label aliases as Trolls these days, whereas in the past the vibe was such that people generally assumed that Aliases were created as characterizations serving purely comedic purposes.

obviously a small number of people that don't understand (or appreciate) characterization and the comedic purposes will instinctively refer to an alias as a Troll, but there were very few members like that back in, say, 2006, while there seems to be a lot more of them now; and, if there are more of them at a time when only about 30 or so people post regularly, it obviously creates a situation in which the old-style comedic-characterization-aliases fair pretty badly.

looking back into Lounge history there was one character progression (lineage) that i will never forget, and that was the TVHead>?>Dirt Shoes>Marshall Applewhite sequence. to me, this was classic Lounge, classic internet, and absolutely priceless... it would be a great shame if the members who view aliases only as Trolls were to represent the most prevalent opinion, because they would make such enjoyable Lounge moments impossible.

i also loved Mr T.

also, just having Lynne posting regularly in the Lounge as a willing participant kept things kinda cool. when the cat's away, the glamour puss will play.

Last edited by Gary Glitter; 2011-01-29 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:04 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

wise words GG....help yourself to some bitchin' Hawkwind
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-29, 11:55 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Glitter View Post
i doubt i'm legally old enough to vote, so i won't.

certainly the best thread i've read in years.

i reckon loads of the bullies would love a chance to start again, turn a new page, consolidate all of their aliases into a new singular identity that had no history, no gripe with anyone, nothing to prove, and no scores to settle.

but there are dark forces lurking in the site's nebulous infrastructure. if those dark forces aren't prepared to let go the past, and they are in possession of certain powers, they can push you back into the hate-fuelled shenanigans that laid waste to your reputation previously.

of course, the majority of the powerful -- often invisible -- controllers are good at what they do, and driven only by honourable intentions. but what if a rogue element were to monitor your attempt to singularize your identity and change your ways, and then purposefully drive you back into the badlands (so that you became the Clint Eastwood character in Unforgiven). you know... you wanted to climb out of the pit, to lose the aliases and get chatting nicely with some new faces about the rock n roll, the zeppelin, the jazz, but the dark forces dragged you back into the pit.

and when they dragged you back in, they grabbed your trousers and pulled them down a little, exposing some of your arse. of course, passers-by will assume you're a site-labourer or a mechanic. they won't want to know what really inspires you.

if i think back to when i first joined the site, the Lounge was a million times better than it is now. there was an edginess, but it was great fun. one big change since then (IMHO) is that the big personalities from back then don't post as much as they used to.

another change, though, and the one that i believe has led to the rise of this particular thread, is that unitiated members seem more inclined to label aliases as Trolls these days, whereas in the past the vibe was such that people generally assumed that Aliases were created as characterizations serving purely comedic purposes.

obviously a small number of people that don't understand (or appreciate) characterization and the comedic purposes will instinctively refer to an alias as a Troll, but there were very few members like that back in, say, 2006, while there seems to be a lot more of them now; and, if there are more of them at a time when only about 30 or so people post regularly, it obviously creates a situation in which the old-style comedic-characterization-aliases fair pretty badly.

looking back into Lounge history there was one character progression (lineage) that i will never forget, and that was the TVHead>?>Dirt Shoes>Marshall Applewhite sequence. to me, this was classic Lounge, classic internet, and absolutely priceless... it would be a great shame if the members who view aliases only as Trolls were to represent the most prevalent opinion, because they would make such enjoyable Lounge moments impossible.

i also loved Mr T.

also, just having Lynne posting regularly in the Lounge as a willing participant kept things kinda cool. when the cat's away, the glamour puss will play.

God Damn it, I thought you were TV.
Old 2011-01-30, 08:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

GG just made a sensible, well put post...that wasn't about glam, glitter, or young boys
Old 2011-01-30, 03:41 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

I never counted if I posted more in- or outside the Lounge, but Iīm sure, most of my posts happened in the proper ABT/VBT-sections and the Piano Bar. It might have something to do that I donīt have a say in many of the topics - American Politics, American Sports - and not how it is moderated. I donīt even have an alias so far.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2011-01-30, 08:34 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Get with the program, Ollie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-30, 10:27 PM
Bad Dog
240.73 GB/558.18 GB/2.32

I'm just here for the music.
Old 2011-01-30, 11:07 PM
Rock n Roll! Yeah!
4.30 GB/3.47 GB/0.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
GG just made a sensible, well put post...that wasn't about glam, glitter, or young boys
glam and glitter are my stock and trade, to be fair.
innit?
Old 2011-01-31, 10:39 AM
973.67 GB/2.99 TB/3.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
you would like the thread called "Why don't you visit the Lounge?" to be placed in the lounge?

I put it here so people who don't usually go in the Lounge might see it.
I got a good kick out of your comment James. Thanks for the laugh. Only because I did not see it here either. Someone who has a woman suffering dependency issues now, I needed the laugh. I personally don't visit the lounge much because I use to be a mod on Piranha Fury website and between this economy kicking me in the ass and the moderating I got burned out literally so I have no desire to visit it much. That would be my reason in a nutshell. Just enjoying the music for now.
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F
Old 2011-01-31, 11:22 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

there's music at this site?!?!
Old 2011-01-31, 11:31 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgiggles1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
you would like the thread called "Why don't you visit the Lounge?" to be placed in the lounge?

I put it here so people who don't usually go in the Lounge might see it.
I got a good kick out of your comment James. Thanks for the laugh. Only because I did not see it here either. Someone who has a woman suffering dependency issues now, I needed the laugh. I personally don't visit the lounge much because I use to be a mod on Piranha Fury website and between this economy kicking me in the ass and the moderating I got burned out literally so I have no desire to visit it much. That would be my reason in a nutshell. Just enjoying the music for now.
thanks for the feedback
Old 2011-01-31, 01:42 PM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
It might have something to do that I donīt have a say in many of the topics - American Politics, American Sports -
+1. Plus the fact that I'm in a different time zone than most Loungers, that I don't always get or understand the in-crowd jokes. But I do visit the Lounge from time to time, to read a couple of the threads that I like, to have a good laugh and then move back to the music part or move on.
Old 2011-01-31, 06:29 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

It really depends what you are looking for. If you want a really civil discussion place, then enforce the rules, ban aliases, etc. There are plenty other sites where that is done and the discussions are civil, semi-entertaining and more populated, if not a little more boring.

If you want to enforce the rules, the (us) regulars will freak out, bitch, moan and complain, cry censorship, etc. After about 3 weeks we will either abide or move on. Everyone hates change, but if that is the goal of the site to see if it recruits more peeps, then why not try it and see.

It is not like it will have any effect on the mission or purpose of the site. I just think most members could care less about the lounge, it would be interesting to see what would happen.

Would there be any detriment to cleaning the lounge up anyway? Since when is chasing post whores away a bad thing?

I mean if the Lounge cleans up before Charlie Sheen?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
lounge