The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-08, 09:48 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Maybe I missed this on the FAQ, or maybe I'm just too picky or something, but it drives me crazy to look at my hard drive and find a torrent folder named "My Seed (4)" (not downloaded from Trader's Den, but still...). One has to admit, etree has a good system for naming directories/folders, but it doesn't fill the needs of the wider lossless torrenting community. Could we agree to to some sort of standard?

For one, maybe we can agree that we would like our folders to line up with the following precedence order:

1)Artist
2)Date (implies venue)
3)Show (for multiple shows on the same date)
4)Source
5)Version
6)Encoding

Spaces screw things up, so maybe we could agree to have none?
UsingCapsAsDelimitersWorksPrettyWell.

I am just throwing this out to encourage discussion, but I suggest the following etree-like format:

Artistyyyy-mm-dd[a,b or Early-Late].Source.Taper/Seeder/SourceSiteTorrent#_SpecialNotes.flacf/shnf

For commonly torrented artists, let’s all agree on something: is it bd, Dylan, BobDylan? Let’s make a list of suggested standards.

Use a for Early, b for Late, or just spell it out.

Date implies a venue, venue should be listed in the info file, so should we include it? If so, I suggest it go under "Special Notes" (see below).

For Source, we have sbd, aud, fm, preFM, ??? (what do we call 192 kb/s satellite?), and I suppose we might add audMD for audience mini-disc, or something like audNAK300 if we used some cool recording hardware, but whatever it is, we should agree on it and make a list of acceptable types. AudMaster and AudFirstGen would be cool too. Again, let’s make a list

For Version, it could be the taper's handle if he/she seeded it, or the seeder, or better, where we downloaded it from. Dime uses torrent #'s, so we could say Dimennnnnnn. Trader's Den, we could use the thread number, so we could add to the recent 1966 Jewels and Binoculars (26 CD Set).flacf the notation:TD7011, since that was the thread number (? or is it a torrent number after all?)

For "Special Notes” we could include the bootleg name and transfer, eg.
"JewelsAndBinoculars-EACSilver" or something similar. After all, this boot was also seeded to STG, EZT, and who knows where else, and I would like to know if I have the version EAC'ed from silver and from a reliable source rather than just some unknown stuff.

Also, for Special Notes, we could include any special guests that appeared, like withGarcia or just wGarcia, since that information can really make a difference in choosing a show you never heard before...

Another special note might be like "J'sRemaster", so if we know "J" does good work, we will want the show, (or otherwise, NOT).

My stealth motive for this rant is that I would simply like all of my torrent files to line up, burn them to DVD in order, then strip the music out on the hard drive, move the leftover folders to a common folder, cut-n-paste the folder names, and make a really nice little html tradelist that links to infofiles, md5/st5/ffp's and artwork. The way it is now, I spend hours searching the torrent sites for information.

Also, we probably have to take into account that some people’s hardware may still have a relatively small limit on directory name and filename lengths. I may be spoiled, my limit is 256 characters that I can burn to data DVDs. What are some of the older limits we may have to accommodate? (on the other hand, if you are still running DOS 3.1, please upgrade. I am not going back to the 8.3 limit).

Is anyone with me here, or is this just too much buzzkill?

Last edited by guygee; 2005-08-08 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-08, 09:52 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

fuck naming conventions, you dont like how its named then go out and tape and seed shows. then you can name them how you want....
Old 2005-08-08, 09:56 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66
fuck naming conventions, you dont like how its named then go out and tape and seed shows. then you can name them how you want....
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, last thing we want to do is scare off seeders.
So go ahead and name your seed MyEgoBoost(101). I guess the rest of us will just have to deal with it.
Old 2005-08-08, 10:02 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, last thing we want to do is scare off seeders.
So go ahead and name name your seed MyEgoBoost(101). I guess the rest of us will just have to deal with it.
first of all fuck wad, this has nothing to do with ego, it has to do with the way myself and anyone else who tapes a show wants to do it. Like I said, go tape some shows and name them how you want... Whats wrong with that idea? Then you can name your seed ImAFuckingLeech(101) and I guess the rest of us would just have to deal with it...
Old 2005-08-08, 10:12 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

man on a rampage

you can name your torrents/folders however you want. I like guygee's suggestions, its the etree format and pretty much what I use when I seed shows. For FLAC I'll use "flac16" instead of "flacf" (flac24 for 24bit which you won't see me seeding). I guess you could also use ape16/ape24 since that format supports 24bit but I haven't seen a 24bit APE seed yet so I just stick with "apef".

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-08-08, 10:17 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

Hey jcrab, What's up with the attitude? How do you know what I have to seed?
I am just trying to make some suggestions, is this a sore topic with you?

I've never downloaded ANY shows from you, nor will I ever, our tastes are different, so don't call me a leech.
Old 2005-08-08, 10:46 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66
go tape some shows and name them how you want... Whats wrong with that idea?
What's wrong with the idea is that if you pick some simple torrent file name and somebody goes off and MP3's it and uses the same simple name, people might get confused when trading shows.

Is that what you want?
Old 2005-08-08, 10:59 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

P.S. jcrab, if you upload shows and use stupid torrent names, people are just going to rename them anyways. Then they will probably reseed them the way they want. That is how it happened on etree, nobody cared what the taper wanted to name the show anymore, he was out-of-the-loop, it is the careful collectors who now mostly rule the etree world. So will it be here, eventually.
Old 2005-08-08, 11:21 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

werd! brawl in technobabble i agree with you guy, it would be nice...i am pretty obsessive about show info...but as j said, if he's seeding it, he'll do what he wants...there's alot of tapers who tape for alot of reasons...same with collectors.

put it this way, you seed something here with ^^^that naming system, no one's gonna complain the audiophiles will sing yer praises...the noobs will ask "what does ______ mean?"...and j will still be seeding shows in whatever manner he wants

but seeding audio from 192 kb/s satellite is just plain wrong imo
Old 2005-08-09, 12:08 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
man on a rampage

you can name your torrents/folders however you want. I like guygee's suggestions, its the etree format and pretty much what I use when I seed shows. For FLAC I'll use "flac16" instead of "flacf" (flac24 for 24bit which you won't see me seeding). I guess you could also use ape16/ape24 since that format supports 24bit but I haven't seen a 24bit APE seed yet so I just stick with "apef".
What does that little f mean? I thought that meant it was shared on Further.

Old 2005-08-09, 12:32 AM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.57 TB/7.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
What does that little f mean? I thought that meant it was shared on Further.
Just shorthand for flacfile(s). Five's suggestion to use flac16 or flac24 is more up-to-date. So I'm going to adopt it. I don't think I will develop AIDs or anything if a use the new standard.
Old 2005-08-09, 02:04 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Um, are you sure? That doesn't really make sense since there's folders with shnf and as Five posted, apef. So there's no flac files there.

Old 2005-08-09, 02:33 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

apef = apefiles

see?
Old 2005-08-09, 08:29 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I read somewhere on etree that the little "f" means "folder", as in apef = APE folder. Files works, too.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-08-09, 09:45 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Okay, that's pretty dumb. Isn't that stating the obvoius?

You can clearly see it's a folder, and you wouldn't have a folder unless you had files inside of it. Duh!

I never did like that little f, now I'm definitely going to remove it from everything!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble