The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-07-29, 07:09 PM
880.13 MB/729.80 MB/0.83

Question Do I have to make an EXTRAS_TS

I have a show I want to burn to a DVD but the folder from the torrent doesn't have an EXTRAS_TS folder and just has the VIDEO_TS folder and then the checksums and info with it in the root folder alongside the VIDEO_TS folder. Can I burn it just like that or do I have to put them in a EXTRAS_TS folder? I was just wondering because if I were to re-seed this show after I burn it to a disc, if I put the disc in I'll have to remember to take them out of the EXTRAS_TS folder, and it'd be more convenient if I didn't have to. Thanks, if you understood that and can help
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-07-29, 08:02 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Do I have to make an EXTRAS_TS

most players do not require more than the VIDEO_TS to make the video play (assuming the authoring is correct).

That standard calls for an AUDIO_TS folder, as well, which is left blank for Video-DVDs... so you could put that and have a fully compliant DVD.

The EXTRAS_TS folder is always optional, as far as I know.
Old 2011-07-30, 06:22 PM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Wink Re: Do I have to make an EXTRAS_TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
most players do not require more than the VIDEO_TS to make the video play (assuming the authoring is correct). That standard calls for an AUDIO_TS folder, as well, which is left blank for Video-DVDs... so you could put that and have a fully compliant DVD. The EXTRAS_TS folder is always optional, as far as I know.
James is right when he says the EXTRAS_TS folder is optional, but IMO it is a very handy one.

@ xiacexi: why don't you change the md5's before you put them in the TS folder? This way you will be able to check the md5 file without having to move the file at all. And you can also directly check the files on your disc.

A md5 that has to be put in the VIDEO_TS folder for verifying would normally look something like: b010df9fac3994ce923559f9a6c1abe3 *VIDEO_TS.IFO

A md5 that has to be outside the VIDEO_TS folder (but not in the EXTRAS folder) for verifying looks like: b010df9fac3994ce923559f9a6c1abe3 *VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

A md5 that has to be in the EXTRAS_TS folder for verifying looks like: b010df9fac3994ce923559f9a6c1abe3 *..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

So if you open the md5 file with a text editor and change the notation of each line in the md5 file into the notation of the last one, you will be able to leave the md5 file in the EXTRAS folder for verifying. Even with this third notation you can put the md5 file in the VIDEO_TS folder and it will verify without any problems as well. Just make sure that after changing the notation of the md5 you check them before burning (to make sure there are no mistakes). FYI you can also put your a text file and or artwork in the EXTRAS-TS folder. (Hope this makes any sense).
Old 2011-07-31, 04:57 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i agree that although not required, its the best way to archive and is becoming the "standard" within trading circles [at least amongst serious collectors]...if done right, they will play in any DVD player i've come across

fwiw, here's how i do it:
-master folder [bandnameYYYY-MM-DDvenue_format]
----3 sub-folders: AUDIO_TS [empty], VIDEO_TS [.bup, .ifo, .vob files], EXTRAS_TS [info text, edited checksum per above], etc]

burn discs as "DVD-ROM (UDF)" type, no problems with playback on any device i've tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post

A md5 that has to be in the EXTRAS_TS folder for verifying looks like: b010df9fac3994ce923559f9a6c1abe3 *..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
one note, on macs you have to use a forward slash [/] as opposed to the back slash [\] for the checksum to run properly
Old 2011-07-31, 06:20 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
one note, on macs you have to use a forward slash [/] as opposed to the back slash [\] for the checksum to run properly
Thanks AAR.oner for the addition, didn't knew that (no Mac user here).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble