The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2005-07-29, 04:42 AM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/629.06 GB/0.82

"[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)": lossy?

Hello,

Personally I don't care much whether a show is lossless or not, but someone is seeding a Birthday Party show on PLG, with some question marks in the lineage. When I played this in Winamp it says in the file info: "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)". Does this mean it is lossy?
If you want I could post some screenshots in the weekend (I'm at work now ). I will post the link for now: http://www.purelivegigs.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1574
Old 2005-07-29, 05:03 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Re: "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)": lossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunic
Hello,

Personally I don't care much whether a show is lossless or not, but someone is seeding a Birthday Party show on PLG, with some question marks in the lineage. When I played this in Winamp it says in the file info: "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)". Does this mean it is lossy?
If you want I could post some screenshots in the weekend (I'm at work now ). I will post the link for now: http://www.purelivegigs.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1574
The "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)" is being displayed because that text is part of the filenames - there is no magic going on.

It could mean that it was a digital radio or digital TV broadcast - i.e. MPEG-1, Layer II (MP2) "lossy" compression @ 192kbps. Or from a DVD authored with MPEG audio. Or it could simply be from 192kbps MP3 files.

But yes - it's clearly lossy, and the person who created the original fileset wanted everyone to know that, which is why he/she wrote it in the filenames.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-29, 05:22 AM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/629.06 GB/0.82

I was afraid of that, thanks for the fast reply.
The seeder should have made this clear in his post then .... or maybe he didn't know.
Old 2005-07-29, 08:21 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Just a slight correction (maybe). That info "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)" is probably in the tag and not the file name, so it won't be readily apparent to people wanting to download it. WinAmp's file info shows tag information (as well as the file name).
Old 2005-07-29, 12:23 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Just a slight correction (maybe). That info "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)" is probably in the tag and not the file name, so it won't be readily apparent to people wanting to download it. WinAmp's file info shows tag information (as well as the file name).
No, it's in the filename - if you visit the webpage that tunic quoted in his first message, then you can list the files in the torrent.
Old 2005-07-29, 12:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

That conversation cracked me up (in the PLG thread). Converting from mp3 to wav to flac to conform to the site rules of no lossy formats being allowed....

Old 2005-07-29, 12:53 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
No, it's in the filename - if you visit the webpage that tunic quoted in his first message, then you can list the files in the torrent.
Oh, so you mean the file names "within" the .torrent actually have "[Live] (from MPEG@192kbps)" in the name? If so, I see. I just looked at the names as they were in the first post. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the link
Please refrain from converting lossy formats to lossless for sharing in the future.
I know what he means, but it still sounds funny.
Old 2005-07-29, 01:25 PM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/629.06 GB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
I meant what Ted said
I hadn't even noticed that it was also written in the filenames ...
Old 2005-07-29, 01:27 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Hey, 4candles -

(it could have gone either way )
Old 2005-07-29, 01:58 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
That conversation cracked me up (in the PLG thread). Converting from mp3 to wav to flac to conform to the site rules of no lossy formats being allowed....
omg somebody please have a talk with the seeder

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-29, 04:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What gets me is that a Moderator is posting in the thread saying that what the person did is a No-No, but it's still up on the tracker.

Old 2005-07-29, 04:21 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

What I used to do sometimes (not intentionally) was declare a thread closed...and then forget to close it

It usually happened when the forum was jumping though, and I was in a hurry to go through the new posts.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?