The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-11, 05:28 PM
188.22 GB/293.58 GB/1.56

Re: firewalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne
did all the portforwarding. on the part where it says to enter your static ip addy the numbers are: 192.169.1[blank] but the numbers when I get to my router settings are: 192.168.2.102 and when I click on the staus button on the router page it lists this as ip:192.168.1.3

will this make a difference or should I just go with that?
this is actually sort of an issue I was looking for assistance with as well. I've followed the portforward.com directions as best as I can but there still seems to be a continuing discrepancy between what my computer is telling me is my static IP address is and what external clients are reading my IP as.
uTorrent tests its port forward on an ip address of 131.191.95.13 which is also the same address that portforward.com tells me is my external address and is also the address that my Netgear WGR614v6 router auto fills in when I switch it to “static IP”

Problem is, when I set my operating system to static, it gives me an ip address of 192.168.1.2 when I do the “command” “ip config/all” steps. I’ve tried to resolve the two ip’s but it usually ends up with me having to reset my router because I cut myself off from the internet connection.
There doesn’t seem to be anything on portforward.com to help with this. Does anyone have any experience solving this problem?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-11, 05:49 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The 131.191... one is your external IP which your ISP gives to you. The 192.168... one is your local IP, the one the router uses to distinguish the different computers hooked up to it. It is this local IP that you need to make static. Routers can use something call DHCP to assign your computer a different IP everytime you turn it on (since it is different all the time, it is called dynamic). You need to tell your router *not* to give out a dynamic IP everytime you restart your computer. You need to turn DHCP off in your router and then tell your computer not to use DHCP and instead specify an IP address (that will look like the 192.168.. one).

(People can also have a static external IP. Some ISPs give them away for free, with other IPs you have to pay to have a static one. Most people have a dynamic external IP.)

Old 2006-09-11, 11:00 PM
188.22 GB/293.58 GB/1.56

well, I have the local ip set as static and I have gone through port forwarding on my router to that address. I'm getting typical download speeds at 175 kB/sec but my upload is for sh*t though at 6kB/sec.

uTorrent still reads me as non-portforwarded though because it wants to test the 131 address. This site still reads me as firewalled. I've turned my XP Firewall off and uTorrent is in the trusted programs of my internet security program, PC-cillin, so I don't know what the hang up is. How do I get uTorrent to read my port as forwarded?

I don't think my router is static yet. Again, my router is a Netgear WGR614v6 for reference. On the basic settings page, I was unable to deselect "Get Dynamically From ISP" and select "Use Static IP Address" under INTERNET IP ADDRESS because it came up with the external address autofilled but not the DNS field. I could enter a number in the DNS that wouldn't wreck my connection to the internet. I couldn't enter my internal address info into those fields without wrecking my connection either.

I went to LAN IP SET UP under advanced settings. There was a box there that said "Use router as dhcp server" which I was unable to uncheck without wrecking my internet connection. The best I think I was able to do was reserve an ip address under that menu heading.

anyone else run across this situation?
Old 2006-09-11, 11:16 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOttin
well, I have the local ip set as static and I have gone through port forwarding on my router to that address. I'm getting typical download speeds at 175 kB/sec but my upload is for sh*t though at 6kB/sec.
Well, if you are using all of your 'pipe' for downloading, it doesn't leave much room for uploading. That is why people like to 'cap' (put a limit on) the maximum speed for uploading and downloading. My max upload is about 52, so at night (when I don't need to use the computer), I cap it at about 48 if I am also downloading. My max download speed is somewhere around 300, so I cap it at about 220.
Quote:
I don't think my router is static yet. Again, my router is a Netgear WGR614v6 for reference. On the basic settings page, I was unable to deselect "Get Dynamically From ISP" and select "Use Static IP Address" under INTERNET IP ADDRESS because it came up with the external address autofilled but not the DNS field. I could enter a number in the DNS that wouldn't wreck my connection to the internet. I couldn't enter my internal address info into those fields without wrecking my connection either.
I believe this is where you are going wrong. You need to turn DHCP off. It is the IP that your router assigns to your computer that you want to be static. It looks like you are trying to play with the External IP - that needs to stay dynamic (or however your ISP likes it - most likely dynamic).
Quote:
I went to LAN IP SET UP under advanced settings. There was a box there that said "Use router as dhcp server" which I was unable to uncheck without wrecking my internet connection. The best I think I was able to do was reserve an ip address under that menu heading.
That is the one you need to uncheck. The reason it is screwing you up after you uncheck it is because you haven't done anything to your *computer* to give it a static IP. There are two steps here - give your computer a static IP and then tell your router you are using a static IP and tell it what ports to forward for it.

For your computer (assuming you use XP): http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
For your router: http://portforward.com/english/route...6/Utorrent.htm

Old 2006-09-11, 11:47 PM
188.22 GB/293.58 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I believe this is where you are going wrong. You need to turn DHCP off. It is the IP that your router assigns to your computer that you want to be static. It looks like you are trying to play with the External IP - that needs to stay dynamic (or however your ISP likes it - most likely dynamic).

That is the one you need to uncheck. The reason it is screwing you up after you uncheck it is because you haven't done anything to your *computer* to give it a static IP. There are two steps here - give your computer a static IP and then tell your router you are using a static IP and tell it what ports to forward for it.

For your computer (assuming you use XP): http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
For your router: http://portforward.com/english/route...6/Utorrent.htm
But I *have* set my computer locally to static IP and I've restarted it to double check. Yet, when I uncheck DHCP it still wrecks my connection.
Old 2006-09-12, 11:12 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewalled

I've split your firewall problem out from the other thread so it's easier for me to follow.

OK, so, you have told your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.1.2 when it talks to your router. Right now, everytime the router gets information sent in, if it was told the request originated from 192.168.1.2, then it gets sent to your computer.

To the outside world, you are using 131.191.95.13 (right now). This *appears* to be a dynamic IP from your host. Meaning, every so often, your host drops that IP and gives you another. That is fine, that is very common, and no problem whatsoever with this *unless you enter that IP into a field somewhere on your computer*. Can we assume that you haven't entered that IP into your bt client or into your Network TCP/IP box?

The thing that is now confusing me is that nowhere on this Netgear portforwarding page does it say to turn off DHCP. I am totally unfamiliar with that router, so I don't know if it just assumes you must be static since you forwarded a port for yourself. One thing that did seem strange on there is when I entered my static IP of 192.168.1.155, near the bottom when it was having me forward my ports, it said to do so for 192.168.0.155. That is not what I do on my router, I do it to 192.168.1.155 . I'm not sure if you have tried playing with that at all.

I did a little googling and found this page by Netgear on how to portforward for your router: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_f...sp#RP614Anchor . They also show IP addys with the '0' in the middle instead of the '1' I am used to. Strange.

Old 2006-09-12, 11:18 AM
saveferals
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
But I *have* set my computer locally to static IP and I've restarted it to double check. Yet, when I uncheck DHCP it still wrecks my connection.
This happens to me using a D-Link di 524

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble