The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-07, 06:50 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Notes Where are my firewall stats?

I've been trying to keep my share ratio up, but I seem to be downloading faster than I'm uploading. How do I tell if I am firewalled? I am on a Macintosh iBook G4, Mac OS 10.3.9, with BitTorrent and DSL. I've been looking through the FAQ's and I did open up ports 6881-6899 for Bit Torrent in my network. I was hoping this would do the trick, but now I can't find this info. I hear talk of a green light, yellow light...
Thanks for the help.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-07, 07:18 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

Re: Where are my firewall stats?

check what your currently leeching/seeding, click "peer list"

SpinBot
68.210.198.xxx(6881)

the numbers in red mean your firewalled, and thats the port number which is trying to be accessed & denied. this at least means your bittorrent client is configured correctly, as you said you tried to open range 6881-6899

if you JUST made changes to your network, it may take a few minutes to update on the tracker...if so, wait a bit and see if it drops the red numbers.
if not, and you made the changes to your network earlier, are you using a software firewall, zonealarm or something? not familiar with macs, dunno what you folks use. you will need to configure your software firewall as well as your physical network.

Last edited by netyuppie; 2006-02-07 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-07, 07:47 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

1. Did you restart your computer after you made the changes?

2. The best client for Mac is Azureus. If you don't want to use that one I suggest Tomato Torrent instead. Azureus is the client that has the lights indicating your firewall status.

3. You can check your firewall status any time here:
http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
Old 2006-02-07, 07:47 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Cool, that helps a bit.
Still confused though. I have tried using the PortForward.com pages, and am running up against walls. I just entered my DNS server numbers, maybe that'll do the trick. I'm not sure what else I can do, as I just don't understand the concept real well... I bought a Mac so I wouldn't have to mess with my computer, ya know?
Anyway, thanks again.
Old 2006-02-07, 07:51 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

gsmyth - No I didn't restart, I guess I should try that, eh? And thanks for the Azureus tip, I guess I assumed that all clients were about the same...
If I download Azureus and start that up, can I resume a torrent I'm currently in the middle of downloading with Bit Torrent? Surely I can, it's still the same torrent file, right?
Thanks for the help y'all.
Old 2006-02-07, 08:03 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

yep ya can.
Old 2006-02-07, 09:23 PM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Okay, so I installed Azureus, changed my open port to 49153 in System Prefs and Azureus, still firewalled. The Port Forward site has my router on it, but when I follow the directions and put in my routers IP, it doesn't ask for a password, it goes to my Bell South account page. And there's nothing there about Port Forwarding. This is getting frustrating! Are there any mac users out there who could share their tips with me?
Old 2006-02-07, 10:50 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

If your router isn't wireless you shouldn't have to open your ports in the router. I would call your ISP about your router (if wireless) if you followed the portforward instructions and it's still giving you problems.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:51 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Oh you also have to make sure you open that same port in Azureus in the preferences panel.

Options (or preferences) > connection > incoming TCP/UDP listen port
Old 2006-02-08, 08:22 AM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah, I opened port 49153 in Azureus last night, and that didn't help. WHen I went to the port forward site, I found my exact router, which is not wireless, and followed the directions for Azureus, but at a certain point it tells me to enter my router IP into my browser and I should have to enter a password and gain access to my router info, whereupon I can port forward certain ports. Well when I enter my router IP into Safari, it doesn't lead to anything resembling the instructions, and I can't port forward. So I've donw everything I can think of except that. Grrrr. Thanks for the responses, though. I appreciate the help.
Old 2006-02-08, 08:50 AM
SpinBot
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Okay, I'm pretty sure I got it. I just had to go into "expert mode" on my router page. I was scared I would mess something up cuz I am certainly no expert. But it turns out that's where the port forward was. Problem resolved. I am about to restart everything and I should be back with sharing in mind...
Thanks for the help, y'all!
Old 2006-02-08, 11:47 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinBot
Okay, I'm pretty sure I got it. I just had to go into "expert mode" on my router page. I was scared I would mess something up cuz I am certainly no expert. But it turns out that's where the port forward was. Problem resolved. I am about to restart everything and I should be back with sharing in mind...
Thanks for the help, y'all!
I have Bellsouth as well. That is exactly what you are looking for. You should be good to go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble